Data generated in SA is the property of SA, says new draft govt policy – and cops need access

ForceFate

Honorary Master
So if my company writes a piece of software code that the government would find useful does that mean the government wants co ownership and the right to use it?
Probably not, but would want access to any data generated by utilisation of that software.

Gatecrasher

Executive Member
Lets write some nice and important sounding policy proposals, and totally ignore all the messy details.

Bewlen

Expert Member
Stunning, eye-watering, jaw-dropping manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger effect. This is what happens when politicians keep getting rewarded for their idiocracy.

Milano

Honorary Master
These laws will have far reaching implications globally. All countries will have to conform otherwise any company operating in your country will not be allowed to collect the personal data of US companies e.g. Non-US governments will only be able to conform provided they create a legislative framework involving control of the data. The Act underway is called Protecting Americans’ Data From Foreign Surveillance Act.

Some of the global implications around the legislation currently underway wrt the US ban on the export of US data:

“If Ireland (and any other jurisdiction) is designated as a jurisdiction with inadequate enforcement, then every significant company operating here will be unable to process the data of customers in the United States, unless the company first obtains an export license from the US Department of Commerce,” according to Ryan. “Obtaining these licenses is difficult: these are the same restrictions that are applied to nuclear material,” he said.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Yes, there is a older thread. I am still against it, the state should never be allowed to be private data custodians in whichever capacity. It will be open to abuse and misappropriation.

As I asked in the other thread some time ago, do you trust the state with your data?
Agreed. This policy seems contradictory to the goals of POPIA.

Milano

Honorary Master
So if my company writes a piece of software code that the government would find useful does that mean the government wants co ownership and the right to use it?
Software is IP and falls under property which means government will be able to expropriate software IP under EWC should EWC legislation go through.

konfab

Honorary Master
If all data generated in South Africa is the property of the South African government, then the South African government has to provide a facility for the public to store it.

I HEREBY DEMAND 200 PETABYTES OF DATA TO STORE ALL THE DATA GENERATED BY THE 10 LINE BATCH FILE I CAN WRITE IN 5 MINUTES

konfab

Honorary Master
Data will be useless to you unless you can force corporations to hand over their encryption keys. Almost everything is encrypted in one form or another.

Good luck with that. Going to be so far up **** creek with legal battles not even a map of the Milky Way Galaxy could guide you home again.

security.png

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Simple solution really: Don`t deploy to Azure SA, deploy to a datacentre outside of SA. You can even let the replication have a copy of the data in Azure SA if need be, but the data is generated outside of SA.

rvZA

Expert Member
Thank god my business is domiciled abroad and all data is generated abroad, even though South African related. Luckilly fall outside the ambit of this stupid law. If they ever want to change this, they will be met in a court abroad....

rvZA

Expert Member
Simple solution really: Don`t deploy to Azure SA, deploy to a datacentre outside of SA. You can even let the replication have a copy of the data in Azure SA if need be, but the data is generated outside of SA.

This is the only way to protect your IP and data. Deploy on datacenters abroad. Employ people abroad and do all processing there.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
This is the only way to protect your IP and data. Deploy on datacenters abroad. Employ people abroad and do all processing there.
You can still employ saffers, just don`t register your company locally, that would be madness.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
EWCing your data. Between this and the gov cloud chat they seem determined to move into IT.

Maybe they’re better at IT than roads/electricity/airlines/etc!

Do you think they’ll buy a 40m Wordpress data management solution from me?