Data leak exposes names, ID numbers, and plain-text passwords of South Africans

eg2505

Honorary Master
just got the notification now, but luck is 2 factor authentication and using unique passwords saved me from much much worse,

again, m0rons handle IT security, I mean how can you store passwords in plain text?
that is just silly,

also see the site viewfines.co.za is not accessible, probably been taken down...

Arthur

Honorary Master
Weird. I'm listed as pwned, but have never used viewfines.co.za.

They must have taken over my creds/details from somewhere else.

avr-rulez

Expert Member
so what does this site do with your email address - sell that on?

Elaborate phishing scam?

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
How acurate is this "haveibeenpwned.com"? I mean, there's supposedly 18 breaches on my email address, yet, I've never used 15 of them in my life.

Seems to me "haveibeenpwned.com" is a advertisement site for "1Password"....:whistling:

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
How acurate is this "haveibeenpwned.com"? I mean, there's supposedly 18 breaches on my email address, yet, I've never used 15 of them in my life.

Seems to me "haveibeenpwned.com" is a advertisement site for "1Password"....:whistling:

The first breach was the attacker gaining access to your account, the other 17 was the attacker registering for services you thought you'd never used. :D

eg2505

Honorary Master

quite accurate, I use another service called breachalarm.com, and it correctly identified my email address as compromised from more than one source.

me_

I've been pwned...

I'm not surprised this happens so often. The quality of software coming out of SA companies is just shocking. Very little understanding of basic security concepts. At best it's security through obscurity which is not real security at all.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
quite accurate, I use another service called breachalarm.com, and it correctly identified my email address as compromised from more than one source.

Tested that one now....:wtf: said I have 43 breaches, what the actual ****....

system32

Expert Member
Can ICASA/ set an example and impose a fine on ViewFines?
eg R10m should do the trick.

system32

Expert Member
Why would ICASA have any jurisdiction over ViewFines?
I meant any ZA Govt institution.
Perhaps the NPA should investigate violation of ZA laws.

If no ZA organization imposes a fine, then perhaps the EU can.
There are some dual citizenship ZA/EU in the leak, and that makes the leak susceptible to GDPR rules.
Perhaps the EU/GDPR can impose a €10 million fine.

Dan C

Honorary Master
Eish, my Takealot password was the same as Viewfines.... changed it quickly now :p

InfidelGastro

Expert Member
I doubt my that I've been hacked seeing that I haven't copped a traffic fine in about 20 years. If I did and I am guilty, I'd just pay it through my bank.