David Mabuza told the National Assembly that South Africa currently has no plans to stop coal power generation

SilverCode

Expert Member
“This is inevitable because, in the main, these plants are approaching the end of their lifespan, and have become uneconomical, unpredictable and costly to run.”
Lol, even the new plants which haven't even begun their proper lifespan are uneconomical, unpredictable and costly to run.

cr@zydude

Honorary Master
South Africa's plan to stop coal power generation is non-existent

There are currently no plans to discontinue the use of coal as part of the country's energy mix, says Deputy President David Mabuza.

The Deputy President said this when he responded to oral questions in the National Assembly on Thursday.

[SANews]

Fact check: SA does not produce 99% of its electricity from coal. Coal is our biggest electricity generating fuel at well over 50% but it is not at 99%. We have solar and wind projects and burn a lot of diesel too.

system32

Executive Member
“Currently, there are no plans for the discontinuation of the use of coal as 99% of South Africa’s electricity supply is derived from coal and 30% of liquid fuels are derived from the same commodity,” he said.
99% - really?
Coal must have increased since 2016:
1648805185799.png

Anyway ZA government does not need a plan for phasing out coal... it will be forced to phase out coal:
1) No reputable finance institute will fund new coal
2) Carbon import taxes by rest of the world will make ZA not competitive.
3) Cost of renewables will be so much lower than coal that we won't have a choice.

eg2505

Honorary Master
SA is still stuck in the past as always,
maybe China will come in soon enough build a Nuclear plant in SA, as a predatory loan to SA to "modernize"

I mean its super easy to bribe our incompetent politicians, just give them something shiny and see what happens.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I have no problem with this.

I have a problem with our compromised environmental regulators giving Eskom a pass on pollution controls.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
The government doesn't need plans to phase out coal, its going to happen whether Gweezy's retirement fund likes it or not.

Danie_V

Classic signs of a right wing conservative government - resisting change and advancements...

Petec

Expert Member
Hahahahaha! Wait until we are blocked from exporting any goods, farmed or manufactured, using coal-fired power.
Do these peeps even know how what's happening in the rest of the world?

The_MAC

Executive Member
The only plans they have is how to loot with maximum efficiency for as long as possible...

Real plans that benefit the country still need to be brain$hit-stormed..