DBE wants schools in COVID-19 hotspots to remain closed

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator

South African schools in the areas worst affected by COVID-19 will stay shut next month if the Department of Basic Education (DBE) has its way.

This is according to a report by the Sunday Times, which said that Education Minister Angie Motshekga will unveil this proposal on Monday when she briefs the media on schools reopening.

Lupus

Honorary Master
So basically all the metros then Angie?
And I think they need to go back to school.
A hot spot is a place where your active cases keeps going up rapidly. Don't count the total because that will always go up, but you need to look at how many people actually have it. I mean the way they are going it'll never lift.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Well it is anyways too late to complete the year. They might as well postpone everything till next year or move the school year from August to August or something. What a mess. Has government done ANYTHING from their side the last 3 months to assist towards home based education?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well it is anyways too late to complete the year. They might as well postpone everything till next year or move the school year from August to August or something. What a mess. Has government done ANYTHING from their side the last 3 months to assist towards home based education?
It's not really to late, if they start in June and cut December down. It's only been the 2nd term that's been affected now.

3WA

Honorary Master
Erm, those are the kids that have to support the rural population from 2030 onwards. Best we let them get educated.

binkybozo

I read the article but I would suggest that you read the other articles about education that are linked in the article. It is crazy!
They want schools to take part of their budget to buy protective equipment and hire more cleaners? How in God's name is our school supposed to do that? No one has paid their school fees. WE HAVE NO MONEY, we can't even pay our SGB staff, we can't even pay our utility bills at the moment.
They want parents to come help with the cleaning? Seriously?!
We have over a thousand students in our school and they come from townships all over Gauteng.
I know that this post makes no sense but I am done. I am just gatvol now, ranting about what stupidity is coming forth. I just need to face the fact that my family is going to get the virus. I just hope that my 8-year-old and my wife doesn't die from it. I have Parkinson's so it is up in the air for me if I get it. We share our property with my elderly in-laws so we just need to get used to the fact that we may lose them.
I have friends in the medical profession and the numbers that we are being fed are lies. I wish I could post conversations that I have had with them but then I will be accused of spreading fake news.
Sorry for ranting but after reading this article I have just had it. The DoE has had PLENTY of freaking time to get supplies and to ready the schools but yet they have spent the time with their fingers up their arses.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I read the article but I would suggest that you read the other articles about education that are linked in the article. It is crazy!
They want schools to take part of their budget to buy protective equipment and hire more cleaners? How in God's name is our school supposed to do that? No one has paid their school fees. WE HAVE NO MONEY, we can't even pay our SGB staff, we can't even pay our utility bills at the moment.
They want parents to come help with the cleaning? Seriously?!
We have over a thousand students in our school and they come from townships all over Gauteng.
I know that this post makes no sense but I am done. I am just gatvol now, ranting about what stupidity is coming forth. I just need to face the fact that my family is going to get the virus. I just hope that my 8-year-old and my wife doesn't die from it. I have Parkinson's so it is up in the air for me if I get it. We share our property with my elderly in-laws so we just need to get used to the fact that we may lose them.
I have friends in the medical profession and the numbers that we are being fed are lies. I wish I could post conversations that I have had with them but then I will be accused of spreading fake news.
Sorry for ranting but after reading this article I have just had it. The DoE has had PLENTY of freaking time to get supplies and to ready the schools but yet they have spent the time with their fingers up their arses.
The DoE did the same as everyone else in the Gubberment, absolutely sweet bugger all.

Acid0

Expert Member
The DoE did the same as everyone else in the Gubberment, absolutely sweet bugger all.
That is not true
They have meetings after meetings after meetings with o results.

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

South African schools in the areas worst affected by COVID-19 will stay shut next month if the Department of Basic Education (DBE) has its way.

This is according to a report by the Sunday Times, which said that Education Minister Angie Motshekga will unveil this proposal on Monday when she briefs the media on schools reopening.
Good. We got to decolonize the education system to give the candidates of the country a good fighting chance :thumbsup:

Lupus

Honorary Master
All except the metros in GP. We have a total of 54 people in hospital over codiv (in the entire province). That's not a spot of any kind, and definitely not a hot one.
The entire province has 650 active cases, 0.0004% of the entire Gauteng population has this thing, yet we're a hotspot.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
This is completely ridiculous, kids are hardly effected by Covid19 and they don't even transmit the virus like with flu. The quicker that they build immunity, the better for all of us.