De Lille denies new bribery, corruption complaint laid by DA

Chris_the_Brit

Grand Master of the Friendzone
Cape Town - City of Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille has denied any wrongdoing after it emerged that the Democratic Alliance has laid criminal charges against her, in connection with allegations of bribery by a Johannesburg businessman.

"It has come to my attention that criminal charges have apparently been laid against me by the Democratic Alliance," said De Lille in a statement on Sunday.

"I deny and reject the reported allegations with the contempt it deserves."

DA Federal Executive chairperson James Selfe confirmed to News24 that the party had approached the police on Saturday, with an affidavit they had received from businessman Anthony Faul.

Selfe said the affidavit stemmed back to an incident from the end of 2012 when Faul was apparently in negotiations with the City of Cape Town over a contract for fire extinguishers for informal settlements.

The allegation is that "at a point the mayor indicated that he would get the contract if he made a payment of R5 million to her".

According to Faul's affidavit, he allegedly refused this and the contract never went through.

On Sunday, De Lille questioned why Faul had waited so long to come forward with his allegations.

"Why [is] this man, Anthony Faul… conveniently coming forward now when the DA is charging me for other matters," she queried.

DA 'damned if you do and damned if you don't'

Asked about the time delay, Selfe said receiving the unsolicited affidavit last week had put the party in a "damned if you do and damned if you don't" scenario.

According to the law, one had to take action if you knew of a possible crime committed.

"If you don't take action then you are committing a crime," said Selfe.

He said the party had also lodged the affidavit with her attorneys.

Noting the time delay, he said that Faul had expressed a desire to lay a charge at the time but was dissuaded from doing so by attorneys who had told him he would have been a "man alone against a big organisation".

"In view of the recent allegations, he felt that it was his duty to add his voice to many others alleging malpractice and maladministration," said Selfe.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...bery-corruption-complaint-laid-by-da-20180204

sox63

Executive Member
An incident from 2012? How useful for the DA for the business man to come forward now...

Trumped up charges. What a joke this is now becoming. Why not open a criminal case against her like they always do with others? Load of rubbish!

NiTeD

Expert Member
The fact they haven't laid a formal charge with the police is very telling.

Noting the time delay, he said that Faul had expressed a desire to lay a charge at the time but was dissuaded from doing so by attorneys who had told him he would have been a "man alone against a big organisation".

"In view of the recent allegations, he felt that it was his duty to add his voice to many others alleging malpractice and maladministration," said Selfe.
#metoo

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
An incident from 2012? How useful for the DA for the business man to come forward now...
Anthony Faul may have walked away back then. During these negotiations, it is obvious that more people were party to the deal. I assume, say the allegation is true, that Faul and co. exited the negotiation when a bribe was placed on the table. Someone in the CoCT municipality had to pay this bribe, by approval and by process, under some guise. As much as whistleblowing is important at rooting out corruption it also burns bridges.

Under the current circumstances, it may be that somebody inside CoCT/DA or Faul and co. blew the whistle or that someone within the DA dug up the ‘negotiation’ and the bribe therein and may have knew about it since 2012. Either Faul came out in his own capacity or the DA gave him no choice but to cooperate. This is whether the allegation is true.

theratman

Executive Member
Approached police /= formal charge. Surely they would have opened a case already? What's the point of approaching police? Your legal team either advises to lay charges or persue other action. Only one would involve the police...

yebocan

Executive Member
...and so are the days of our lives...queue theme song

at the rate the DA is going, next De Lille will be charged with the murder of someone... anyone with two brain cells can see, that there is a game afoot...question should be, why are they now looking for a corruption charge avenue of attack. Their internal processes/reports will be found wanting by judicial review?

Approached police /= formal charge. Surely they would have opened a case already? What's the point of approaching police? Your legal team either advises to lay charges or persue other action. Only one would involve the police...
It seems to me as if formal charges were laid (opened a case) by the DA. Article is not well written.

DA lays criminal charges against de Lille

The Democratic Alliance (DA) has laid criminal charges against Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille.

Nick333

Honorary Master
Anthony Faul may have walked away back then. During these negotiations, it is obvious that more people were party to the deal. I assume, say the allegation is true, that Faul and co. exited the negotiation when a bribe was placed on the table. Someone in the CoCT municipality had to pay this bribe, by approval and by process, under some guise. As much as whistleblowing is important at rooting out corruption it also burns bridges.

Under the current circumstances, it may be that somebody inside CoCT/DA or Faul and co. blew the whistle or that someone within the DA dug up the ‘negotiation’ and the bribe therein and may have knew about it since 2012. Either Faul came out in his own capacity or the DA gave him no choice but to cooperate. This is whether the allegation is true.
The only way this makes sense is if Faul came forward unsolicited as the DA claims.It's very unlikely that there was a record of an attempted bribe for anyone to discover. This will come down to his word against hers unless De Lille was stupid enough to make the request in anyway that wasn't one on one and private. I don't believe De Lille is stupid.

True or not, this is an obvious powerplay and the antagonists are slinging mud in the hopes that something will stick or at least muddy the waters enough to put De Lilles character in enough doubt that she might as well step down.

Edit: Oh ja, my point was that it's highly improbable that anyone can prove the allegation of an ATTEMPTED bribe unless someone was incredibly stupid in the attempt and left some sort of record as supporting evidence for the allegations. In other words the DA probably knows this which kind of supports my mud slinging hypothesis.

Last edited: