Dealership struggling to get Car registered

5_strips_bacon

Sorry for the long post, but I need some urgent advice on a serious issue with my newly purchased car:

During the last week of November 2019, I purchased the vehicle from a local reputable dealership.
note: This was a financed purchase.

On the day of collection I had been informed by the salesman that they are still waiting on the registration papers/disc, but that this would be delivered within a day or two. The temp. registration on the car was still valid for approx. a week, thus with the car in order and no additional problems or issues with registration made aware to me by the dealer, I was happy to wait a few days for these.

A week passed - I made contract with the branch again and was told that they are experiencing some difficulty in obtaining the registration of the vehicle. Various reasons were given; from the vehicle having to be licensed in a different province, to the person at said dealership who does the registration not being available/ on leave. At this point the salesman informed me that it is being attended to and I don’t have to worry about anything.

In the end I was issued with a second temp. registration for the car. I was assured again that they will have it done as soon - after which a month passed with no correspondence.

The temporary registration had reached its final day before expiration - a few days now. And when I got back in contact with the dealership - they then issued me a 3rd temp. registration that expired a few days ago and said that the issue has not been resolved. They said the main problem is there are outstanding fees on the previous license and that they are experiencing difficulties in getting it settled and the car registration changed.

Being skeptical I got information at my local Vehicle Registration and Licensing Department and had been made aware that a temporary 21 day permit can not be issued more than once on a vehicle. I asked them to issue me with a loan car since the purchased car cannot be driven legally and would thus result in my insurance not covering the vehicle in the unfortunate event of an accident. Thus as of now my car is back at the dealership and I am currently using a loan car.

This has been going on for more than 2 months and as of now I am stuck paying for a vehicle that I cannot drive, with no definitive date given as to when it will be resolved. Since the car is the bank’s asset, I informed them of the situation and asked to them to look into it - I haven’t heard anything back yet.

I feel like I don’t know where to turn to anymore - I also spoke to the Dealer Principal who also said the same “they are working on it” thing.

Most people have advised I just leave it in the banks’s hands and wait for it to be resolved.

Is there anything else I can do or can go to to help resolve this problem?

Any additional advice would also be great!

riscbroker

Expert Member
The bank will/should only pay the dealer once they (the bank) are in receipt of the Natis document showing your details, so you still have leverage.

Start with the bank and establish whether they have received the appropriate documentation from the dealer.

Last edited:

5_strips_bacon

I have tried establishing that over the banks contact lines, however they are taking time in getting back to me. As most banks they create an online account for clients and on my own it states the Natis copy is not available yet.

Gonna see if I can get a direct contact person at the bank to help deal with this.

A curious additional question: Shouldn't the registration papers be ready for the bank to approve the initial financing or is this a common practice where the allow extra time for dealers to get this?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I have tried establishing that over the banks contact lines, however they are taking time in getting back to me. As most banks they create an online account for clients and on my own it states the Natis copy is not available yet.

Gonna see if I can get a direct contact person at the bank to help deal with this.

A curious additional question: Shouldn't the registration papers be ready for the bank to approve the initial financing or is this a common practice where the allow extra time for dealers to get this?
It's pretty common as there is some usually some change of ownership that needs to be done.It is usually done in a way not to inconvenience the customer and everything is sorted after.

It is stressful but you will come alright. The issuei as they say the outstanding fines and perhaps the previous owner is giving them a runaround.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I've never understood what the purpose of a temporary registration is? I bought a brand new car last year from a dealership and they registered it in my name before I picked it up and installed proper permanent number plates. Yet I see a lot of brand new cars driving around with these temporary number plates. Can anyone explain it?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I've never understood what the purpose of a temporary registration is? I bought a brand new car last year from a dealership and they registered it in my name before I picked it up and installed proper permanent number plates. Yet I see a lot of brand new cars driving around with these temporary number plates. Can anyone explain it?
Temp registration is when they cannot do the registration due to holidays or stuff like outstanding fines.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Temp registration is when they cannot do the registration due to holidays or stuff like outstanding fines.

That makes sense. Could it also be, for example, if you buy a car in Gauteng but you live in Cape Town and plan to drive it down, and the dealership obviously can't register the car with a Cape Town number plate?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Demand your money back. According to the CPA, they have failed within the 6 months window. Return the car, pay off the finance and go somewhere else.

Do not take **** from a reputable dealership.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
That makes sense. Could it also be, for example, if you buy a car in Gauteng but you live in Cape Town and plan to drive it down, and the dealership obviously can't register the car with a Cape Town number plate?
I bought a car from Free State, the license was still valid so there was no issues driving it around, it is only a problem if the license is expired.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Demand your money back. According to the CPA, they have failed within the 6 months window. Return the car, pay off the finance and go somewhere else.

Do not take **** from a reputable dealership.
It could be a lovely car that he likes, I know it's frustrating but I would find comfort that it is a reputable dealer and handle it calmly and rational, but that's just me.

The dealership has given him a loan car which proves that they accept that it is an inconvenience to him and it shows that they are open with him and are not just giving him a runaround for fun.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I bought a car from Free State, the license was still valid so there was no issues driving it around, it is only a problem if the license is expired.

The problem though is how can the dealership register the car in your name if the dealership is in a different municipality than the one you live in? If you live in Cape Town but the dealership is in Joburg, you can't go to a licensing department in Joburg to register a car that needs to have a Cape Town licence plate.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
The problem though is how can the dealership register the car in your name if the dealership is in a different municipality than the one you live in? If you live in Cape Town but the dealership is in Joburg, you can't go to a licensing department in Joburg to register a car that needs to have a Cape Town licence plate.

Yes true, that is a problem mine was not an issue since I was doing the registration myself.

JSparrow

Expert Member

If the vehicle is financed then we will register the vehicle only. We then send a copy of the NATIS document to the customer and they get the license disc from their licensing department plus the number plates. They send us the invoices and we refund them.

riscbroker

Expert Member
It's no problem. The car can be registered in Joeys/wherever and licensed in Cape Town/wherever.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
It's no problem. The car can be registered in Joeys/wherever and licensed in Cape Town/wherever.
Just the hassle of having do the chore yourself, I prefer paying the dealer to do the job, last time I paid R1000 extra and had it taken care of.

5_strips_bacon

So, before anything further - thanks for everyone's advice and input!

So, the update on the story so far - yesterday I did some running around and calling to get hold of someone at the Bank that I can actually speak to, since the call centre was not able to assist me.

In the end I got hold of the banks' local rep in the area that deals with the dealerships in the region. Long story short I sent the rep a mail detailing everything, he said he would get me an answer by this morning and sure enough I got an update email this morning with the Dealer Principle stating that it will be sorted by Fri/Mon. Think the seriousness of the situation has been made apparent and they working on it now.

They offered me the loan car as stated in my post, but(plot twist) thy now insist I put the loan car on my insurance - while my car is useless and still on my insurance as well. Hopefully if they get it sorted as they say they will and I can get my car back.

For those who are saying return the car - that was definitely my first instinct, but I did get a good deal price wise and I really do like the car, however I have stated to the rep that if in the event they cannot fulfil on the time they have given that I rather think the deal should be reversed.

I am gonna keep updating on this incase anyone else with a similar problems comes across this thread.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
So, before anything further - thanks for everyone's advice and input!

So, the update on the story so far - yesterday I did some running around and calling to get hold of someone at the Bank that I can actually speak to, since the call centre was not able to assist me.

In the end I got hold of the banks' local rep in the area that deals with the dealerships in the region. Long story short I sent the rep a mail detailing everything, he said he would get me an answer by this morning and sure enough I got an update email this morning with the Dealer Principle stating that it will be sorted by Fri/Mon. Think the seriousness of the situation has been made apparent and they working on it now.

They offered me the loan car as stated in my post, but(plot twist) thy now insist I put the loan car on my insurance - while my car is useless and still on my insurance as well. Hopefully if they get it sorted as they say they will and I can get my car back.

For those who are saying return the car - that was definitely my first instinct, but I did get a good deal price wise and I really do like the car, however I have stated to the rep that if in the event they cannot fulfil on the time they have given that I rather think the deal should be reversed.

I am gonna keep updating on this incase anyone else with a similar problems comes across this thread.
A cool head is always better. Good luck, hope it's sorted soon.

5_strips_bacon

So the story finally concluded - yesterday my car was returned with the disc and number plates on. This has been a major headache, so I am really glad its done now and once again thankful for everyone's input.

Cheers!