Dear DStv - technical faults thread

How do you rate the DStv service *technically* ?

• 10 (Best)

Votes: 2 1.8%

Votes: 3 2.7%

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 6 5.5%

Votes: 5 4.5%

Votes: 6 5.5%

Votes: 9 8.2%

Votes: 17 15.5%

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • 1 (Worst)

Votes: 51 46.4%

• Total voters

Captain Beer

Executive Member
On your decoder? He meant online / mobile, I can confirm it was all off.

It looks like there was a blackout across all platforms on Saturday:

SABC2 shows Muvhango in silence on Friday as the South African public broadcaster's TV channels experience a blackout

On Saturday morning after an unexplained blackout of the SABC's TV channels, the broadcaster said on the Twitter feeds of its SABC1, SABC2 and SABC3 channels that "We apologise for the earlier blackout, however we are back".

There's not been any explanation for what took the channels off air.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Tried again to get my Devices on my account updated, had some ancient long dead decoders on there.

Nope... been told repeatedly that it can only be done by going to the service centre... put my foot down today, 10 min. later a supervisor had sorted it out.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

DStv shakes up streaming apps — including TVs and media boxes​

DStv has refreshed its online streaming platform to improve the user experience, MultiChoice announced this week.

The update to the app includes changes to the DStv app’s user interface — moving the navigation menu to the left-hand side of the screen and merging its Live TV menu with the TV guide.

“This means you can now see what is showing across all channels for the rest of the day while still easily accessing your most recently watched channels,” DStv said.

MultiChoice explained that DStv’s app is the online version of the video entertainment platform that offers live TV and Catch Up viewing on various devices.

“We have apps for smartphones, tablets, Android and Apple TV, our DStv Explora and Explora Ultra decoders, as well as selected Smart TVs and gaming consoles,” MultiChoice stated.

It also highlighted that this update is exclusive to the app installed on lean-back or larger devices. To get these updates, simply download the latest version of the app from the iOS or Android app stores.

The app is available to all DStv customers at no additional cost and is downloadable from the Apple App Store and Google Play store on compatible devices.

Brian_G

Executive Member
On their online dashboard - My Profile - Privacy Settings (includes what spam you receive)

Try changing it, doesn't work. Even a Chat agent could only get my phonecall option removed.
Notice that "All" and "None" are included in the list, so supposedly jammed.

Why just this function not working? Very suspicious....

privacy 'set'.png

Brian_G

Executive Member
Old (better) online guide still off but the newer one is at least back.

EDIT: Sunday morning, both guides working.

Last edited:

Brian_G

Executive Member
Kudos to MC for how they handled a package downgrade last night :thumbsup:

A Catch Up Plus (CU+) download using the older availability was allowed to complete after midnight.

All downloaded CU+ items are still usable until expiry, so additional effort / expense is being respected here.
(For a different change I had seen CU+ items that were not yet partially viewed get removed.)

Tech notes:
Those CU+ items are now only in the Download Manager - they are removed from the CU/CU+ lists anyway and all related CU as well. Seems a good way to distinguish the change.
An exception is the last pop-up channel section in the lists, CU was removed but all the CU+ items are there. Maybe temporary, left due to two being downloaded.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

DStv streaming “total shambles” after app update - MyBB​

DStv rolled out an update for its streaming app on Wednesday, 13 October 2021, and several customers have taken to social media and the Google Play store to voice their frustrations with the changes.

The update features a completely revamped app but has made it more difficult to stream, even on high-bandwidth fibre connections, and several posts suggest DStv’s troubleshooting steps don’t help.

When streaming live TV, users experienced a lot of stuttering and Catch Up titles only seemed to load after a second attempt at opening them.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Explora 1 - Box Office listings & access is in 3 places; main BO section, Home page, and Catch Up Featured page.

How is it possible that the software is so badly coordinated that these sections ALL differ at times??
Like today, there's one less BO title reflected on the Home page, and it's missing at least 2 thumbnail posters.

Wow :unsure:

Last edited:

twr

Expert Member
Asking in behalf if my folks.thry have pvr maybe 5 years old. They are battling to change channels volume etc, so they went to get a new remote but still bot helping. Could it be the actual dstv box? Would it be the receiver side side or itsself? It changes the channels perfect when you do it manually on the box itself but battling with the remote?

Any ideas what to do

krugie

Asking in behalf if my folks.thry have pvr maybe 5 years old. They are battling to change channels volume etc, so they went to get a new remote but still bot helping. Could it be the actual dstv box? Would it be the receiver side side or itsself? It changes the channels perfect when you do it manually on the box itself but battling with the remote?

Any ideas what to do
Stupid question but I assume you tried new batteries? That is exactly what happens when my batteries run low....

Brian_G

Executive Member

Any ideas what to do
Besides the batteries, any new equipment in the room, or a change of position of the decoder? Even a new light bulb can have an effect.
And aging decoders can develop this kind of degrading performance.

Brian_G

Executive Member
50% discount for Showmax now being offered to Family and Access packages as well. As usual, nothing for EasyView.