Dear DStv - technical faults thread

How do you rate the DStv service *technically* ?

• 10 (Best)

Votes: 3 1.3%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 5 2.2%

Votes: 9 4.0%

Votes: 9 4.0%

Votes: 15 6.6%

Votes: 14 6.2%

Votes: 29 12.8%

Votes: 17 7.5%
  • 1 (Worst)

Votes: 121 53.3%

• Total voters
Thread is nearly 3 years old so has changed a lot, general DStv service discussion thread now I think.

Took us years to list all the tech issues on our minds... scary thought.
I always feel I'm "letting the side down", if I derail a thread !

And I tend to do it more often than I like.

Those who automatically record Carte Blanche - season 36 ending next Sunday so a new recording setup needed afterwards.

Strange that they're doing 53 episodes this year, how did they manage that? :unsure:

Hi guys. To those who have Explora Ultra, does Disney+ still play at 720p? I want to activate it my decoder so I can use it

Channel 100 Dish (highlights channel) was removed some time ago from the main bouquet on older decoders. Why??

Weird

(Still in the other bouquets)

The so-called 'DSTV Guide' is the most NON-Interactive POS interface I have come across - EVER! Who designed it? - Was it perhaps a new-hire DEI intern???

How do you scroll DOWN the channel list? - If you use your mouse wheel, it just scrolls the ENTIRE page down and the channel list stays static - WTF?

1716057993268.png

Last edited:
The so-called 'DSTV Guide' is the most NON-Interactive POS interface I have come across - EVER! Who designed it? - Was it perhaps a new-hire DEI intern???

How do you scroll DOWN the channel list? - If you use your mouse wheel, it just scrolls the ENTIRE page down and the channel list stays static - WTF?

So... tell us how you really feel :D

View attachment 1711361

Keep mouse pointer within the current time frame, then scroll ....

But scrolling to the right to see future shows sucks as it auto jumps back to the current shows

But scrolling to the right to see future shows sucks as it auto jumps back to the current shows
Presume you're using click & drag (horribly slow and awkward), no other option like a hor. scroll bar visible in my Firefox. Mine doesn't snap back so maybe it's due to your browser.

I get a lot of buffering on most channels the last week or so. Both on new LG tv as well as Android TV box. All other streaming services works 100%.

I now dstv is bad in general, but has something happened last week or so making it worse?

DStv's decoders showing their time syncing is out again - about 7 seconds slow... they never seem to learn

I don't like supporting monochoice, but it works great as a setup for my mom.

That said, recently the OSD tv guide only shows 2 items max. at a time and she sometimes gets the E16 error (non-payment) when she watches. The latter is solved when I punch in the channel number again. The former sometimes gets fixed by a decoder reboot.

Super irritating. Just like their repeats. You know it's bad when my mom who has poor memory tells me she's already seen an episode of something.

@Insidus since you're into publishing about ROA content, and for reference, here's a list of all channels still NOT visible on a SA smartcard.
(Some of it will also always be missing on any other single southern African country's smartcard.)
IS20 & IS36 only, so doesn't include their further north satellite services on the other satellites they use.

102 M-Net Africa - currently identical content but with different ads
(165 Zambezi Reloaded - not currently visible on SD decoders)
220 to 235 ROA versions of SuperSport - usually mostly similar with different ads, sometimes extra soccer
272 Zambian Parliament
275 ZNBC1- Zambia
276 ZNBC2 - Zambia
280 ZTV - Zimbabwe
284 1Africa - Namibia
(287 NBC3 - was supposed to be for the 3rd national Namibian TV service but got put on hold)
289 BTV News - Botswana
290 BTV1 - Botswana
295 MBC - Malawi (yes, still broadcasting despite MC's threats ;))
(498 F598 - test stream channel, identity unknown)

And a quick reference list you'll know, of the other channels that ARE visible but aren't for SA;
(292 Lesotho is available)

151 African Magic Showcase (only made visible recently, for some reason)
162 Zambezi Magic
172 OneZED
271, 273, 274, 277, 278, 279 - Zambia
281 - Zimbabwe?
282, 283, 285 - Namibia
286 - Swaziland
288 - Namibia Zimbabwe
291 - Botswana
293, 294 - Zimbabwe
296, 297, 298 - Malawi
312 - Nickelodeon Africa

Last edited:
I've got no PVR access on my actual subscription so sometimes record from it externally.
It's coded with copy-once protection which has worked fine before.. but recently trying to record two things together or even calling up the i-Plate in-between seems to lead to a copy-once hiccup that interrupts recordings :rolleyes:

Intentional, or just more carelessness MC?

Seems I have that "Shows you're watching" going missing bug again. Anyone else ? Tried watching a show which normally brought them back, but only the one I watched is now there

There's another one hidden away in the SuperSport section. (Quite useful for those interested in the OTT extra SS channels and who don't have the app. Also includes the still-existing terrestrial CSN ch.)

This one jumps back to the start of the channels list while you try to use it.
It's missing two of those extra channels (243 & 248)
It seems to have a mixed up name labelling of those OTT channels.
As usual these days... no search option
If you switch to other countries either the main chs. are missing or they are wrong (showing SA content instead).
Also featuring on other countries is the "101000" channel - details claim it's a new coming-soon channel... doubt that, and seems to be a mix of everything, similar to the terrestrial CSN ch.
(No idea if it's all kept accurately up to date, but I suspect not.)
241 Maximo One is given the incorrect channel number 235.

SS TV Guide.png

LInky: https://supersport.com/tv-guide

Was useful yesterday; Ernie Els was in the last day of a lesser-known golf PGA major in Ohio. Was on Variety 3 on Sat. but apparently too much other sport yesterday for them to show it on the main channels. And he won..

Wake up MC. Time to shine, or fade away.

Back