Dear RPM

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hi rpm,

There are two things I would like to ask of you,

Firstly, may I ask why you have chosen to disallow members posting within the IT Jobs section of the site. The main reason I have come to gather is that a job "recruiter" was called out on lousy job posts and then complained to you.
The post in question was something along the lines of:

Skills:

10 years min dev exp in ALL of the following C#, Java, C++, VB Dot Net.
Which is most definitely not a proper job posting according to people in the industry (yes, your target market on this forum is a tech audience, why do you not ask their advice?). By locking down the IT Jobs forum you are allowing multiple useless job posts such as:
]Default Tester
National Diploma Software Development (preferred)
Design and create test conditions and scripts to address business and technical use cases.
Use tools and techniques to execute test cases and build/script new tools for performing testing/validation function.
Document, track and escalate issues as appropriate
If you have the relevant skills please send me a private message.
How can you rate the above as a useful job post? No location, the jobs description of requirements is near useless, etc. Would you respond to such an advert?
Then the matter of salary bands, say you earn ~R30k a month, why would you apply for a job where the salary was only R20k but you couldn't see that from the job add as the requirements were pretty much the same as every other job post. You just wasted your time, you wasted the HR's time and everyone leaves with a bad taste in their mouth. Why not just make a salary band a requirement? You guys post one on your main page every couple of months, how could you be against it?

The disallowing of posts criticizing the job also reduces the feedback the job recruiter may receive, the job recruiter might be wondering why no one has replied to their job advert when it was an obvious omission, such as the location missing (no, saying Cape Town or Johannesburg is not enough, these are huge areas). Things like this thread might not have happened: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/785899-Level-1-IT-Support-Tech-Full-time-position (Look at how nice the original post is, a location (suburb and city), salary range, qualification requirements, a proper position summary, a recruiter that replies to questions on his thread, etc., though the funny thing is, is that he is not a recruiting agent).

These are quality posts, these will make people think, aha! MyBroadband is the place to look for jobs, recruitment agencies will follow as that's where they can easily source good quality employees. By making it so that there are so many bad job offers, the good quality employees won't bother sifting through the trash and replying to the job offers. Note your target market again, most people looking at your forum are tech employees, not employers.

The second question is in regards to advertising, why do you still support openweb? You have an entire thread dedicated to the truth about openweb with a near unanimous forum user base warning everyone to stay away from them, why would you advertise something that goes against the forum morals? Was this site not founded on the principle of good internet broadband, how does that apply to openweb?

I hope you will take the time to read it, if I am banned, please just leave a reason why, I took a read through the forum rules and have not come across a rule I have broken with this post.

Kind Regards,
J

halfmoonforever

Expert Member
I agree re: the recruitment forum. I guess some recruiters have thin skin, do their job half-arsed and love fielding 500 people's CV's whereas they could have had high-quality applications and just a handful of CV's to go through just by adding in the information a job seeker would need.

boxerulez

Expert Member
I agree re: the recruitment forum. I guess some recruiters have thin skin, do their job half-arsed and love fielding 500 people's CV's whereas they could have had high-quality applications and just a handful of CV's to go through just by adding in the information a job seeker would need.
I hate recruiters so much. So very much.

That would be one fantastic thing the government could do... not only broker labour... also recruiters and agencies.

They must all fall.

HR must do their own advertising and interviews.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Anyway, by disallowing posts in the IT Jobs forum those posts are being ignored and fade into obscurity. This is a forum first, we should be allowed to discuss posts especially if they are stupid so the recruiter can try do better.

Necropolis

Executive Member
Anyway, by disallowing posts in the IT Jobs forum those posts are being ignored and fade into obscurity. This is a forum first, we should be allowed to discuss posts especially if they are stupid so the recruiter can try do better.
I agree 1000%

shreez

I hate recruiters so much. So very much.

That would be one fantastic thing the government could do... not only broker labour... also recruiters and agencies.

They must all fall.

HR must do their own advertising and interviews.
That would require HR departments everywhere to actually work?
No, I don't think that will ever happen.

Thor

Honorary Master
Can't comment on OpenWeb scum articles because it's closed so have to watch how innocent people are misguided and tricked by mybb to fall victim and then the job section I haven't visited since it was blocked since it brings no value now

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Hi Jonathan

We are always keen to engage, until members start to attack MyBroadband. We see these attacks as a signal that it is a good time to leave the conversation, and explains our absence in other threads.

Jobs section

We received complaints about trolling in the IT jobs section, which chased recruiters away.

The aim of the jobs section is to provide companies with a free platform to post IT jobs, and recruit IT professionals.

Unfortunately, the trolling meant that nearly all the recruiters left. This is counter-productive, and we then implemented the new system which do not allow user comments.

After this was done, we have seen a few recruiters return, which is great news.

Advertising

The editorial side do not make decisions on advertising. It would be a very dangerous decision to allow editorial and advertising to blend, and one which we do not feel comfortable with.

It sometimes happens that the advertising team decides not to deal with a company. This includes non-payment, unachievable expectations, unsuitable industries, the abuse of our staff, and the like.

These decisions are made by the advertising team, and not the editorial team. They are really cool and work very hard to make their clients happy, so unless a company messes up or cannot be served effectively, they are unlikely tell a company they cannot help them.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Are you implying that CW has abused your staff or messed up badly?

Thor

Honorary Master
Hi Jonathan

We are always keen to engage, until members start to attack MyBroadband. We see these attacks as a signal that it is a good time to leave the conversation, and explains our absence in other threads.

Jobs section

We received complaints about trolling in the IT jobs section, which chased recruiters away.

The aim of the jobs section is to provide companies with a free platform to post IT jobs, and recruit IT professionals.

Unfortunately, the trolling meant that nearly all the recruiters left. This is counter-productive, and we then implemented the new system which do not allow user comments.

Advertising

The editorial side do not make decisions on advertising. It would be a very dangerous decision to allow editorial and advertising to blend, and one which we do not feel comfortable with.

It sometimes happens that the advertising team decides not to deal with a company. This includes non-payment, unachievable expectations, unsuitable industries, the abuse of our staff, and the like.

These decisions are made by the advertising team, and not the editorial team. They are really cool and work very hard to make their clients happy, so unless a company messes up or cannot be served effectively, they are unlikely tell a company they cannot help them.

I hope this helps.
#PleaseDontBanME

But with all due respect you have not answered our concerns regarding this:

_> http://mybroadband.co.za/news/industrynews/169685-why-your-isp-should-never-throttle-you.html

When you have access to this:
_> http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/622747-The-truth-about-Openweb

( I have that thread saved offline just in case. )

#NotAttackingMyBB just genuinely concerned.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Jobs section

Quality over quantity I always say.

Jay_Bee_Kay

Jobs section

Fair enough, but a troll THAT hard to chase a recruiter away?!

Certain recruiters/agencies will just throw your CV anywhere in any case and you end up landing a job with a "boss"
who screams and shouts at anyone as he pleases,
even some recruitment agencies aren't too kosher with the way they treat you.

Is it really that difficult for these said recruiters to pull a "bill" on a simple troll response?
ontop of that, moderation anyone?

Just my very one-dimensional view :), but ofcorse revenue/traffic = priority right?

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
Jobs section

Yes, but I thought it was clear that it was the recruiters doing the actual trolling with their pathetic job posts. Not all of them, but the overwhelming majority.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Hi Jonathan

Jobs section

Advertising

I hope this helps.
Thanks for replying rpm,

Job Section:

Those job posts that were good and provided a lot of information were never trolled, those that were trolled always had things like location missing, requirements that were out of touch with what was actually required of the job post etc.
Would a system whereby you would be able to choose a mod who knows a lot about the field to specially sub-moderate that forum section not be a better idea, rather than completely removing the right to post?
I do not see much point in a job post such as the one I linked (the tester one), while one like the AndromedaRecruitment have been good quality and he/she has kept posting even before you banned the forum from posting in the IT Jobs section. Things like this happen: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/802869-CPT-C-Software-Developer-R40-000-R55-000pm?p=17229615&highlight=#post17229615 which help the recruiter as well.

I'd rather we had a bunch of good quality recruiters than a mass of bad ones. Let MyBroadband be known for the quality of job offers, having so many bad ones defeats the purpose and gives MyBB a bad rep for someone looking for a job. Another idea would be to update the job offer template to something like AndromedaRecruit uses.

Advertising:

It's not one asking for editorial and advertising to blend, it is one asking for MyBroadband to follow the moral compass it was created for. "MyBroadband was started in 2003 (known then as MyADSL) as a forum to address the broadband problems which existed in South Africa at the time" (from your About us page), that is your founding principle, the change of broadband for the better. How can you rate OpenWeb as changing broadband for the better? They blatantly lie to customers, put them all on the same accounts to make a quick buck, etc., all to be found in the truth about OpenWeb thread. This is not a question of advertising and editorial being separate, this is a question about MyBroadband's ethos applying to all sections of the company.

We can take this to a more extreme version, what would you say if Google started advertising adult material on their home page while you were trying to search for cooking pots.
(not saying your editing or advertorial team aren't cool, I know they are since they work at MyBB ;))

Pitbull

Verboten
@rpm

I get what Jonathan is saying as well as your view on MyBB.

I'm sure a certain guideline to posting adverts would be of great benefit to both recruiters as well as their target audience on MyBB.

Things like:
. Salary needs to be mentioned
. Experience required

to mention but a few. The problem Jonathan is mentioning is you see an advert and you qualify for the required criteria. But just to go through the effort to contact the recruiter to realise they are offering R 10k less than what you're currently earning. It's counter productive. Keep out comments from the MyBB members so they can't shoot down the salaries offered, but they least they the recruiters can do is mention the salary. This is my personal issue with it and from reading Jonathan's posts I think his issues are similar in relation.

Maybe get a list of minimum requirements for a post by a recruiter and lock the replies by MyBB members. Maybe the MyBB members can come up with the minimum requirements needed for an advert?