Death metal music inspires joy not violence

Nod

Executive Member
Article: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47543875
Research: https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.181580
Most research on the psychosocial effects of exposure to violent media has focused on screen-based media, such as television, movies and video games. There is far less research on the consequences of exposure to music with violent themes. Some genres of music, including but not limited to extreme metal, rap and hip hop, are often, though certainly not always, characterized by aggressive sounds and violent lyrics. As such, many researchers are interested in whether exposure to music with violent themes leads to aggressive thoughts, feelings, emotions and behaviours (e.g. [5,1520]; but see [21,22]). To date, it has been difficult to infer causal links between long-term exposure to violent music and aggressive or violent behaviours, because research has often relied on correlational evidence. For example, it has been reported that preference of heavy metal music is correlated with reckless behaviours [2325], low academic performance [26] and mental problems such as depression and anxiety [27]. However, it is difficult to conclude that exposure to heavy metal music played a causal role in such outcomes and should therefore be avoided. Indeed, some research has highlighted the psychosocial benefits of listening to extreme metal music, whereby some fans use extreme music to process feelings of anger, and to relax [28].
Prof Thompson said the findings should be "reassuring to parents or religious groups" concerned about violent music.
More broadly, there is still concern that violence in media leads to social problems. "If you're desensitised to violence, perhaps you wouldn't care if you saw someone on the street getting hurt - you wouldn't help."
But while research has found some evidence of such desensitisation in people who play a lot of violent video games, music, it seems, is different.
"The dominant emotional response to this music is joy and empowerment," said Prof Thompson. "And I think that to listen to this music and to transform it into an empowering, beautiful experience - that's an amazing thing."
Nick Holmes identified with that, saying that most of the music he enjoyed was "melancholic, dramatic, sad or aggressive and not much in-between".
"I take joy and empowerment from those styles," he told BBC News.
On the topic of the Eaten's lyrics, he added: "I didn't personally write them, but I would be frankly astounded if anyone listened to that song and then felt a desire to be eaten by a cannibal."

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
If you want to experience joy... listen to any of Inflames' recent work.
Amazing, the old people are evolving. No longer calling it duiwelsmusiek.
Now if only they can do the same about sexuality

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Not sure I'd call Avatar "death metal" but they're fkn awesome

TribbleZA

Honorary Master
I absolutely love this topic. I shall be sharing this with hubby. He will not read it and he will not believe it - but I shall share it regardless :giggle:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If you want to experience joy... listen to any of Inflames' recent work.
Amazing, the old people are evolving. No longer calling it duiwelsmusiek.
Now if only they can do the same about sexuality

I'm a pretty big fan of In Flames, but they are a poor example of death metal. They're only just creeping into some sort of heavy metal vibe. Much more of a rock band than a metal one.

Akasha

Executive Member
I don't like just plain death metal, melodic death metal, however <3

prOd

Expert Member
I'm a pretty big fan of In Flames, but they are a poor example of death metal. They're only just creeping into some sort of heavy metal vibe. Much more of a rock band than a metal one.

Nu metal :D

Clayman is where most people draw the line I think.

Also, linking the song they are referring to, for further studies :D

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Best reporting on this study I've seen so far:

Participants in the study – published in the Royal Society journal Open Science – were shown violent and neutral imagery simultaneously, one in each eye, while listening to either Swedish death metal supergroup Bloodbath's track "Eaten" or Pharell Williams' "Happy".

Really, the most surprising finding was that the guinea pigs did not immediately seek the nearest window when being inflicted with the latter.
Let's compare and contrast.

<Eaten vid here>

Cool. You can almost feel the BBC's jaw hit the floor at lyrics like "Carve me up, slice me apart, suck my guts and lick my heart. Chop me up, I like to be hurt, drink my marrow and blood for dessert" – but really there's nothing too cray-cray going on here.

The stated goal of Bloodbath was to summon the spirit of early '90s death metal a la Sweden's widely revered Entombed and the fertile Florida scene (Death, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse et al), and they've essentially achieved that over five full-lengths.

Then there's this.

<Happy video>

Jesus Christ.

Cius

Executive Member
Can't believe that. Had a good friend who got into death metal. He went from chilled and happy to the point where he lost his ability to smile after a few months wrapped up in that world.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Can't believe that. Had a good friend who got into death metal. He went from chilled and happy to the point where he lost his ability to smile after a few months wrapped up in that world.
The music was a symptom, not the cause...

Nod

Executive Member
The music was a symptom, not the cause...
Take for example Antimatter's album called "Planetary Confinement".
If you are already depressed, then this album will push you over the edge.

Messugga

Honorary Master
Nu metal :D

Clayman is where most people draw the line I think.

Also, linking the song they are referring to, for further studies :D

There's a live version with Mikael Akerfeldt which is quite snazzy.

SkippyRamirez

Expert Member
I'm with @Akasha on this one. I can't stand death metal - it's just noise to me. But melodic death metal - Dark Tranquility, Insomnium, Kalmah make awesome music.

But, my favourite is still black metal.