Death of CF/SLI?

kaaskop

Expert Member
Dunno if its been posted but a year ago Lucid tested a chip for the motherboad that give much better interaction between more than one GPU (According to them)

It seems thay got a new chip now thats on a MSi MB that looks like its working.

Nvidia and ATI is prob sh_ting themselves is this is what they said its gonna be.

It seems you can mix GPU's as well (Nvidia and ATI) not just the same brand.

Just think what you can do with this thing. No more just upgrading, just add a other stronger card and your ready to go.

Can't wait.
More here

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3646&p=1

In the next 30 days according to Lucid

cerebus

Honorary Master
Ouch - if the claims hold up (a biiiiig if) it will pwn Nvidia/ATI drivers.

killadoob

Honorary Master
So if you added 2 x 9800gtx's 512 meg with sli and crossfire you lose the additional memory of one card, does this use all the memory from both cards?

Nameite

Expert Member
So if you added 2 x 9800gtx's 512 meg with sli and crossfire you lose the additional memory of one card, does this use all the memory from both cards?
I would think so, what the hydra chip does is give balanced workload to the diff GPUs, the GPU does their usual sh*t and sends the overall picture to the chip which displays it thru the primary card.

But if it says balanced workload...if you had a HD5870 mixed with a 6600LE, wouldnt there be like a major synching problem???

cerebus

Honorary Master
You'd think so hey - they claim to scale nearly perfectly efficiently though, but I'm pretty skeptical personally.