Death of Khayelitsha boy (2) who fell into drain leaves community reeling

konfab

Honorary Master
The buck ultimately stops with the parents unfortunately. If you, as a parent, know there is something dangerous for you child, then you make sure your children don't play near the damn thing.

COCT should be better with their plumbing, but in all likelihood, they are fighting a losing battle with the sewers. Those systems are not designed for what people dump in them. Things like lawnmowers and such have been found in the sewers. Those cause blockages, which then causes erosion around anywhere where the water comes up.

There is an easy solution IMO. If the residents of Khayelitsha are unhappy with the sewers that the city is responsible for, then they should, as a community, raise the money and fix them themselves. There is legal precedent for that in SA law that allows the community to claim back the money from the municipality.

http://www.saflii.org/cgi-bin/disp.pl?file=za/cases/ZAECGHC/2017/20.html&query=Agri Eastern Cape

Everyone wins this way. The city gets its sewers fixed, the community gets its sewers fixed, and ratepayers actually get what they pay for.

Oldfut

Expert Member
Devastating all round, no positives. I have worked in these areas and manhole maintenance is er, challenging to say the least. As noted, the unopenable and unstealable has not practically been invented, at least at affordable levels. Lockable covers involve metal that gets nicked. Very heavy covers just break the manhole structure; brick or concrete but some "heavy duty" covers are rubbish to marginal. Removal of extra heavy requires special tools and/or a crane so costs shoot up. Heavy vehicles are often over loaded and covers are used for anything from stepping stones to being thrown to one side when the manhole is opened for any reason from draining taxi oil, throwing away rubbish to rumours of money being found in the sewers; I kid you not. Best I heard was an engine block in a manhole.

In such SA environments; tragedy lurks.

Currantly

Expert Member

Family of Imthande Swartbooi (2) say his drowning in open drain was avoidable

CAPE TOWN - A relative of two-year-old Imthande Swartbooi, who drowned after falling into an open sewerage drain in Khayelitsha, said that his family were angry as this could have been avoided.

The toddler was playing with his cousins outside their family home in Greenpoint on Sunday when tragedy struck.

Nkosikhona Swaartbooi told Eyewitness News that about two weeks ago, residents rescued a child who had fallen into the same drain.

Linky

Big Rat

Those concrete drains covers get smashed to get to the metal. I know in kraaifontein in the road my mom lives they will replace the cover, and maybe last an daybefore its smashed pieces lie next to the open drain again.
I can only imagine in Khayelitsha it will be hours, not days. COCT can replace 100 draincovers everyday, they will not get ahead and have all holes covered. Community needs to take some blame here as well. And parents having 2 year olds play in the street? Wow.
So, yes it is regrettable, it should have been avoided, but don't solely blame COCT if you know they drain covers are being stolen, broken up and you willingly let the kid play close to it.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
With a redesign your rates will increase more. I don't have the solution for stolen and broken manhole covers. Work on one and patent it.
So then let it increase I don`t care, they will increase the rates for something anyway. And I am moving away from CPT shythole.

Tariqe

If we did not loose trillions of Rands to politicians, then we could all live in better places

diesel

Expert Member
Tragic accident but people will always look for someone to blame other than themselves. no two year old should be allowed to walk around outside without supervision. you can blame the municipality but ultimately the onus is on the parents.

mojoman

Expert Member
Those concrete drains covers get smashed to get to the metal. I know in kraaifontein in the road my mom lives they will replace the cover, and maybe last an daybefore its smashed pieces lie next to the open drain again.
I can only imagine in Khayelitsha it will be hours, not days. COCT can replace 100 draincovers everyday, they will not get ahead and have all holes covered. Community needs to take some blame here as well. And parents having 2 year olds play in the street? Wow.
So, yes it is regrettable, it should have been avoided, but don't solely blame COCT if you know they drain covers are being stolen, broken up and you willingly let the kid play close to it.
I dont know what these things are called but you get like a little concrete pillar about 1.5m high that indicates the presence of a water line or something...The guys around here are now smashing them up to get the rebar out. The level of metal/scrap metal theft is proportional to the amount of scrap yards in your area...We have 2...Prior to them being here there was no issues as it was 30km to the nearest scrap yard....(idiots have robbed me of my concrete filled 'plastic' wights that I used to have outside...wish I had been there to see the dumb look on their faces at he scrap yard....)

Last edited:

mojoman

Expert Member
Tragic accident but people will always look for someone to blame other than themselves. no two year old should be allowed to walk around outside without supervision. you can blame the municipality but ultimately the onus is on the parents.
Parents dont care in a lot of cases....the useless things that live across the road from me are happy to spend all weekend pissing it up and not care about the kids....One night there was a commotion outside...went to see whats happening...two kids have vanished (and would you believe not one idiot had thought to phone the cops)....Mom is blind drunk.....dad nowhere to be found....Turns out (lucklily) these two little kids..had decided to walk to their grans house about 4km over a busy road and through a dodgy town...They were lucky....
Point being...parents still piss it up and the kids still roam about.....

dualmeister

Honorary Master
This is going to rock the boat, but back when I was growing up we never had issues like this (from what I can remember) as the Municipalities did a pretty good job maintaining public spaces and infrastructure.

Unfortunately the levels of maintenance have dropped over the years as the population explosion and informal settlements have put a huge strain on resources.

MightyQuin

Not amused...
This is going to rock the boat, but back when I was growing up we never had issues like this (from what I can remember) as the Municipalities did a pretty good job maintaining public spaces and infrastructure.

Unfortunately the levels of maintenance have dropped over the years as the population explosion and informal settlements have put a huge strain on resources.
Back when you and I were growing up, people were not stealing manhole covers to sell to scrap dealers.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

And those living close by will actually see the cover being stolen or broken and will say nothing.

ES1

Tragic incident, communities should learn they are on their own in the face of municipalities who can't be bothered, they should have made a plan to cover the whole especially with children around.
The very communities that steal the metal drain covers, in our areas they now changed it to some concrete cover thing, is what I think I saw. We had the same problems here.

Currantly

Expert Member

City of Cape Town slammed for negligence after Khayelitsha child dies in sewage drain​

Cape Town - The Khayelitsha community is blaming the City after the death of two-year-old Imthande Swaartbooi, who drowned after falling into a sewage drain outside his family home in Greenpoint, Khayelitsha, on Sunday.
Residents say this was not the first time a child has fallen into the drain, but Imthande had been the first one to die “as a result of the City’s negligence in failing to fix broken, blocked and overflowing drains in poor working-class communities”.
The child’s uncle, Nkosikhona Swaartbooi, said Imthande was discovered by his mother, Busisiwe Swaartbooi, who had been looking for him around the house.
Swaartbooi said the drain was right outside the family home, and had been left open by the City for a while. He said despite residents repeatedly asking the municipal trucks operating in the area to fix and cover the drain, the City had ignored their requests.

Linky