Death toll rises in horror taxi crash

cavedog

Honorary Master

According to reports, at around 8am, a minibus taxi and a truck collided head-on on the R66 highway between Ulundi and Melmoth in Northern KZN . The taxi caught alight and 15 people, including an unborn baby, died at the scene.

Three victims from the taxi were burnt beyond recognition and DNA tests will be conducted to authenticate the remains of the deceased.

Ntuli has called on the authorities to intervene in order to fast-track the process of investigation.

More at

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
I got a video of this on WA this morning. It's quite hectic seeing the bodies strewn around, some of them burning

konfab

Honorary Master
I bet a law stating they should wear seatbelts would have saved their lives.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I bet a law stating they should wear seatbelts would have saved their lives.
The taxi caught fire. No, I'm a proponent of seat belts but looking at what's left of the 2 vehicles, I doubt a seatbelt would've saved them. An acquaintance died in a similar way. His car collided with a truck at high speed and caught alight. He was burnt beyond recognition.

It was his first day at a new job.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
Well.. just yesterday did a taxi drive over a red light. He was in the left lane turned over 2 lanes... no issues.

Not saying people deserve to die.. but taxis don't care for human lives.

RIP to all those people

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I wonder who the POS was that was on the wrong side of the road. probably the damn taxi if I look at the pictures.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Just got in to work.

Driving through an urban area with a 60 km/h speed limit. Single lane road. Taxi right on my bumper, pulls out to overtake but there is on-coming traffic so he has to brake and pull back in behind me. Traffic light turns amber, I have time to stop and I normally would, but I can't because the taxi is on my ass, so I blow out a red light to avoid being rear-ended. Guy pulls out and overtakes me, hooter blaring.

These horror accidents involving taxis are no surprise. They are reckless and a menace to everyone on the road.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Is 15 people not an overloaded taxi?

The seating capacity is 14, which excludes the driver. They are counting a unborn baby, so that 15 is actually 14. Now it is "16 that died", so 15. If there are still any survivors from the taxi, it was indeed overloaded.

D tj

Expert Member
Taxi driver innocent,No smoking in moving vehicles would have done the trick. along with 100 more laws on driving better.
Very sad though.
When, if ever will the authorities instill a culture of care, honesty, and integrity to the taxi industry? Supid of me I guess?

Last edited:

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Kinda looks like the taxi could've come over a blind rise? Trying to overtake someone maybe?

My thoughts, I get that the passengers likely don't have another form of transport, and I get that our police is too scared/useless to police the taxis. I think it's up to the passengers to say that they won't ride in taxi's driven dangerously, and speak with their wallets.
They won't, ofcourse, cause they enjoy getting to places faster than the rest of us plebs, but in that scenario, well they aren't exactly innocent in this.

Or maybe the taxi owner/operator needs to be held liable for every offense one of their "staff" commits.

eg2505

Honorary Master
as somebody who been in a taxi smash before,
they dont care about human life, if it was up to me, id drop a hammer on them,

putting people at risk, driving recklessly, acting like the mafia and taking out competition.