Decat: Warranty and insurance

realmslayer

Hi everyone,

Was hoping to get a little advice here.

I recently got a decat and downpipe on my mini cooper and was wondering:
1) Will a 3rd party warranty house cover the car with this upgraxe I.e.not BMW, like a Holland or Motorite etc
2) Will the insurance companies cover the car in any incident even with the upgrade?

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Kind regards,
Kyle

Pox

Expert Member
1) dunno
2) check with your insurance and get written confirmation if they do. Insurance companies will use any excuse possible not to pay you, and modifications are an easy excuse. I do know of people who have insured upgrades, but u must let them know.

AllyZone

motorite will find an excuse not to pay. they have rejected turbo claims for this before

realmslayer

Thanks everyone for the help.

Will definitely have to call around and see what I can do :)

So stupid that you have to worry about what other companies think about YOUR car that you've paid for. Just want to enjoy MY car.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Thanks everyone for the help.

Will definitely have to call around and see what I can do :)

So stupid that you have to worry about what other companies think about YOUR car that you've paid for. Just want to enjoy MY car.

Well not really, its pretty straight forward with insurance companies, decat etc is done to make the car faster. Anyone making mods to get their car to go faster is going to drive faster which makes them more of a risk.

If you werent intending to drive fast then you wouldnt do the mods in the first place and would drive the car as it came from the factory.

infscrtyrisk

Expert Member
Well not really, its pretty straight forward with insurance companies, decat etc is done to make the car faster. Anyone making mods to get their car to go faster is going to drive faster which makes them more of a risk.

If you werent intending to drive fast then you wouldnt do the mods in the first place and would drive the car as it came from the factory.

And here's me thinking that mods were done to achieve better fuel consumption!? :whistling:

Excalibur

Executive Member

If your catalytic converter gets damaged a decat can be a cheaper way to address the problem, hence in this case the motivation is not to "go faster" but to fix your car affordably.

Colin62

Executive Member
If your catalytic converter gets damaged a decat can be a cheaper way to address the problem, hence in this case the motivation is not to "go faster" but to fix your car affordably.

You’re not “fixing” it, you’re modifying it. The car is no longer as designed and sold, and it’s unreasonable to expect the insurance company to universally accept whatever modifications an owner might make and still use the same risk profile. As far as I can work out, the OP hasn’t asked his insurance company if they’re happy with the mod or not - they may well agree that it’s not likely to affect the risk profile and leave his premium as is, or they might not.

It seems petulant (to me) to change the conditions of an agreement unilaterally, not inform the other party that you’ve done so, and then accuse them of interfering with your right to fiddle with your car. They’re not. They don’t care what you do to your car, unless it impacts on the risk profile, which in turn affects their profitability.

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi everyone,

Was hoping to get a little advice here.

I recently got a decat and downpipe on my mini cooper and was wondering:
1) Will a 3rd party warranty house cover the car with this upgraxe I.e.not BMW, like a Holland or Motorite etc
2) Will the insurance companies cover the car in any incident even with the upgrade?

Thanks, appreciate the help.

Kind regards,
Kyle

The Decat should be of no issue and won't be able to pick it up on the software since the Decat (minicat) is a dummy device which looks exactly the same and gives a signal to the ECU. The down pipe though...