December flight prices are substantially more expensive now compared to the same time last year

mylesillidge

Journalist
Bad news about December flight prices — and when you should have booked

South Africans who have not booked their flights for the December holidays stand to pay substantially more than they would have around the same time last year, according to at least two prominent travel agencies.

Prices of flights in South Africa have surged due to the shutdown of Kulula operator Comair and former SAA subsidiary Mango, as well as rising aviation fuel costs.

Happens across the globe. Then becomes cheaper again. Not a sign of anything, other than a strong economy and strong government running the country.

Happens across the globe. Then becomes cheaper again. Not a sign of anything, other than a strong economy and strong government running the country.

C.I.V.A.L.W.A.R!!!!

I always struggled even pre covid with mid to late December flight prices for JHB to CT return being around R3-4000 return. Considering inflation it’s not much different?

My brother was looking to fly to Durban to see me when I am back in SA... R11k for return tickets for him and his wife.
If he was to drive it would cost him R6k in fuel each way (he did not mention if that includes the cost of staying at a half way point).
Just driving my GF's car from PTA to DBN and back in Dec is going to cost me R2500 without tolls. **** has gotten VERY expensive in SA.

My brother was looking to fly to Durban to see me when I am back in SA... R11k for return tickets for him and his wife.
If he was to drive it would cost him R6k in fuel each way (he did not mention if that includes the cost of staying at a half way point).
Just driving my GF's car from PTA to DBN and back in Dec is going to cost me R2500 without tolls. **** has gotten VERY expensive in SA.
Sounds like business class was only available for that price.

Sounds like business class was only available for that price.
no, its because the flights they were looking at land on the 26th and leave on the 31st, since those are the dates I will be in DBN for.

I assume he is driving from Cape Town, because 6k on fuel, yoh.

The famous expression by those cash strapped (strap on):

Stay home, it's cheaper™

12k for flights from JHB to DBN for a family of 4 they befok.

Same as restaurants. They ask us to support them but then as soon as Covid is over they hike prices. A pizza is now double what it was 4 years ago. I can make my own for a quarter of the price and it still has over twice the amount of stuff they put on. Airlines are taking advantage of supply and demand here and it has nothing to do with cost as they're artificially limiting the flights.

Hardly. Those who have no choice will always fly
Fixed. Don't assume everyone will always be willing to pay the price. At some point it may become cheaper for people and companies to own or rent their own. It might even spark a new industry.

Back