Decent Knife Brands?

Pho3nix

The Legend
Hi guys,

Looking for decent knives at the moment. Saw this Berlinger Haus but I see they are chinese ones that don't really seem to last long.
Any recommendations that won't break the bank and can be added too?

Fox1

Executive Member
I've had good experiences with the Anzo Kitchen Inspire knives. They're good quality and cheap. The best knives I've used though are the Thomas range that you can get at Food Lovers Markets.

Naks

Executive Member
Only one brand worth the money IMHO: Global

Bought a Chef's knife in 2008, still can slice through a piece of dangling cling wrap!

Pho3nix

The Legend
Thanks guys!

Only one brand worth the money IMHO: Global

Bought a Chef's knife in 2008, still can slice through a piece of dangling cling wrap!

Leaning towards these but proper $$$ but seem to be authentic

enzokahn

Spyderco and Victorinox Fibrox kitchen lines are awesome! Check them out on sharpedge, takealot or blades and triggers websites . If you check out the tests by a few restaurants and chefs on youtube the victorinox fibrox knives outcut and outlasted many more expensive brands for less than half the cost. The spydercos are sharper even still but the fibrox handles are superior

Last edited:
Reactions: OCP

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Lekker sharp but I can't stand the handle on those & the weight feels off.

The handle does feel light, but they are well balanced. You can balance it on the spot where your index finger is supposed to rest.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Knives? Buying a whole set is waste of money. Get a good chefs knife and one of these. You don't really need more than that in the kitchen.
View attachment 905286

I used to think so to, till my wife got me a vegetable knife for Christman. It really changed my perspective. The taller, shorter blade makes chopping vegetables a breeze.

JasonK

Shun knives... really quality blades. Too expensive in SA, but you can pick them up for bargains on amazon.

Reactions: air

saor

Honorary Master
Wusthof. Nuff sed
This has a nice weight.
Another Wusthof fan here.

One of my better kitchen investments.
Ja that's it. Treat it well and it can last ages (a lifetime?) and if you enjoy cooking it's nice to have something in the kitchen that's good at what it does. Friend of mine has a 12-knife set but not one of them is sharp - they need all these knives because the chefs knife can't even cut through a tomato without squashing it. It's kak cooking like that and takes the joy out of it.