Decent Knife Brands?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
We're so used to blunt knives in our family that if we use anything that is too sharp we slice open fingers (specifically my mom). My mom sliced pretty deep the one time. No more super sharp knives in the kitchen after that.

My mom was also quite pissed when I sharpened our knives the one day. She usually held the tomato in her hands while slicing them, as the knives were too blunt to cut her skin....
You can guess how the story ends....

SoldierMan

Executive Member
My mom was also quite pissed when I sharpened our knives the one day. She usually held the tomato in her hands while slicing them, as the knives were too blunt to cut her skin....
You can guess how the story ends....

Haha yeah, when they really get too blunt I do put a little edge on them with a sharpener I bought from Verimark, but still nothing close to some of the knives that are available these days.

Sir Bob

The brand from checkers is artisan. I sharpened mine yesterday using a a artisan sharpener also from checkers. If I can find more of these knives I would buy more.

BartSimpson

Do you have Furi with the brass balance in the back of the handle that you can file down to rebalance? Such a neat feature that I have never seen anywhere else.

Recently got a Scanpan bread knife at a 3rd of the cost of the top line ones and despite the brand being middle of the road, the knife itself is bloody great. Nice weight, robust blade and sharp.

Correct on the Furi - first decent knife I bought 20 years ago and still in daily use.

JustJack

Expert Member
Worksharp ken onion edition at 20 degrees. Shaving sharp in under a minute 5 strokes on each side max using the 600 grit medium belt - removes chips and knicks very quickly leaving a convex edge which lasts much longer and is stronger
Would love a Ken Onion but is very pricey
Will the vanilla basic model be as good? (@ almost half price?)

enzokahn

Would love a Ken Onion but is very pricey
Will the vanilla basic model be as good? (@ almost half price?)

I have the basic one too and use it without the guide with a fine belt to put finishing edge after using the Ken Onion to do the heavy lifting with coarser belt. Saves time not having to swap belts on one machine . Basic will do the job for you just Practice with cheap Knives first and you will be an ace sharpener in no time

B-1

Expert Member
Hi guys,

Looking for decent knives at the moment. Saw this Berlinger Haus but I see they are chinese ones that don't really seem to last long.
Any recommendations that won't break the bank and can be added too?

I bought 2 of these as cheapie knives to chop up whole chicken I cook for my dogs and a few months later they are still sharp after a lot of abuse. The coating is getting a bit scuffed but for the price they have been great.

Snyper564

Executive Member
I have been using this on my Victorinox knives and they have done the job.

Perhaps long term I need a few wet stones, hmmm
It's good but if I'm not mistaken they take too much material off the knife. The wet stones are your best option long term.

Pho3nix

The Legend
Thanks for the feedback guys. A lot more than what I was expecting. Ended up starting with a chef knife and pairing knife ... which I cut myself with the first time I used so all round a good purchase.

Victronix brand btw

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I still have my R50 Wilkinson Sword I bought from Checkers in 1999. When sharpened it is still great. The plastic handle feels cheap though.

I hope you're not talking about Prestige knives... those are really bad, sorry to say.

Victorinox is also really good, and much more affordable than Global and Wusthof. Any knife will dull eventually, and it needs to be maintained and sharpened. Harder knives chip easier, but keep an edge longer.
The SADF recces were issued with Wilkinson swords in the 80s, they were good knives back then, and the hole in the handle was perfect for a lanyard, These days the quality has diminished though, the tang isn't full length and prone to break out of the handle with heavy cutting. They also don't hold their edge the way that they used to.
My best kitchen knife is a cheap no-name brand with a high chromium content stainless steel blade. I bought it about 20 years ago -- it originally came out with a serrated edge, but I soon ended that on a grinder. I reckon sharpening tech has improved a whole lot in the past 15-20 years, and all my knives have semi-regular sessions with my Spyderco sharpmaker, so maintaining and edge on a high chrome content blade is no longer a PITA. Back then, my cheapy was all that I could afford. Today I can afford just about anything, and I still haven't found a blade that can match it. Sure, I have far more expensive, prettier and better looking knives, with more ergonomic handles, but I find myself reaching for it far more often than the others.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Got a birthday present

7fb303209bb9421c46110962c5d4ac5b.jpg

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
Wusthoff classic is still worth it.
The other wusthoff's aren't the same quality - pressed (stamped) not forged.
See https://foodal.com/kitchen/knives-cutting-boards-kitchen-shears/things-that-cut/wusthof/

I'm quite happy with the set I bought off of Hemi a month ago - well, the gf is.

She was a little melodramatic that I bought her knives for her birthday instead of something more handbag or shoe'ish, but she does keep going on about how these knives are sooo much better than the crap ones we had, so its a win :)