Deciding between two outcomes

SAguy

Expert Member
So I'm driving along a road with 2 lanes in either direction. I'm in the left lane and a car is in my right lane about 5 metres behind me.

Suddenly a car comes out of a sidestreet to my left and drives about halfway into my lane and I have a split second to decide, t bone this idiot in front of me or cross into the right lane partially hoping the guy in that lane can react.. and if not, it's a less severe accident since we're going to hit side on side.

I accelerated and encroached into the right lane, managing to miss both cars... but obviously the guy to my right was not impressed.

So what should one do, take the 1st hit like a champ because it's your bad luck that someone drove in front of you... or minimize the severity of the accident by perhaps hitting another car less severely...

What would you do?

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Human - and indeed animal - nature is to escape/avoid the most immediate threat to your safety.

I'm taking my chances with the right lane because I know staying in the left lane is a guaranteed accident.

Recallza

That's a tough one, it's more of a reaction at the time that'll decide what I end up doing, but given the choice now, I'd move to my right,

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
As a motorcyclist, I would vote for you being a champ and taking the hit. I Would hate to know what a side swipe from a car would to to a cyclist.

SAguy

Expert Member
As a motorcyclist, I would vote for you being a champ and taking the hit. I Would hate to know what a side swipe from a car would to to a cyclist.
Yeah, good point. Would hope that one would be able to make a different decision if you saw it was a bike - but I don't know.. split second thinking may not allow.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
So I'm driving along a road with 2 lanes in either direction. I'm in the left lane and a car is in my right lane about 5 metres behind me.

Suddenly a car comes out of a sidestreet to my left and drives about halfway into my lane and I have a split second to decide, t bone this idiot in front of me or cross into the right lane partially hoping the guy in that lane can react.. and if not, it's a less severe accident since we're going to hit side on side.

I accelerated and encroached into the right lane, managing to miss both cars... but obviously the guy to my right was not impressed.

So what should one do, take the 1st hit like a champ because it's your bad luck that someone drove in front of you... or minimize the severity of the accident by perhaps hitting another car less severely...

What would you do?
Avoid an accident is the first rule. The guy behind you must apply the same rule.
Exactly as you did.

Craig

Honorary Master

What would you do?
The thing with going to the right is you now potentially drive into someone else and the perpetrator drives off after having caused an accident and not being involved himself. A colleague turn out for a car overtaking on a solid line right in front of her a week or two back, damaged her car and the cnt drove off. Same happened to a friend a few years ago.

That really is a difficult situation and I hope to never have to make that choice. After running a man over on the N1 14 years ago I'm slightly paranoid wrt what people and cars do around me so I try to look for morons that might potentially do the above, but sometimes there's just not much you can do, especially in traffic.

gamer16

Executive Member
If it was a case of 2 options one being a guaranteed minor collision and the other being no collision but is difficult to execute and failing to do so correctly would cause a much more severe or multi car accident.

For example in your situation imagine it at a 100 kph in the wet where you could keep in your lane and brake but you would hit the car or you could change lanes but you have to do so quickly and if not executed well may result in a spin whereby you'll go off the road and more than likely roll at high speed.

If you were going not more than 60 and had time to accelerate, then there must have been time to brake. Why was that not an option?