Dedicated Torrent downloader PC

ColinR

Expert Member
I have an EEEPC (2G Surf) that I'm running windows XP on with two user accounts and uTorrent running in both sessions; one for each tracker (different rules).

What are you using for your dedicated download machines?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Grabit connected to Astraweb, only runs after hours.

News Servers have the benefit of not having to share the stuff, but you do normally have to download extra PARS to repair any corrupted archives. That is normally a 5 to 10% overhead, but it is at least less than the BitTorrent overhead (of having to share sometimes 1x or more of the same file).

howardb

Expert Member
Using my server PC for the private torrent trackers running uTorrent, and my main PC for my news server downloads through Astraweb with AltBinz - both 24 hours. I've been lucky enough to not having to download too many PAR files up till now... :)

demon angel

Expert Member
Im using utorrent too.
I hate sharing these files.
Its not fair,although its a bad torrent im downloading, it spikes from 20k to 3k!
It a 734mb file but it normally would complete in 6 hours on my 384k uncapped connection.
People downloading the same file probably have 60 times the speed and leech of my connection and as soon as i limit my upload speed, the connection dies to 0.3kb/s.
I have uploaded 292mb so far and the file is 75% complete.
Im going to join a paid for torrent subscription.
AAAAArrrrrrgggggg.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Im using utorrent too.
I hate sharing these files.
Its not fair,although its a bad torrent im downloading, it spikes from 20k to 3k!
It a 734mb file but it normally would complete in 6 hours on my 384k uncapped connection.
People downloading the same file probably have 60 times the speed and leech of my connection and as soon as i limit my upload speed, the connection dies to 0.3kb/s.
I have uploaded 292mb so far and the file is 75% complete.
Im going to join a paid for torrent subscription.
AAAAArrrrrrgggggg.

If you are going to pay for something... rather pay for an international News Server... see here...

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/entry.p...uff-from-the-Usenet-(International-Bandwidth)

ColinR

Expert Member
No one using TorrentFlux? - the problem I have is that the EEPC is downloading to a network share, and I frequently get "Network path is no longer available" error messages.
I'm trying to see if there is something a little more resilient toward network downloading.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
Using my server PC for the private torrent trackers running uTorrent, and my main PC for my news server downloads through Astraweb with AltBinz - both 24 hours. I've been lucky enough to not having to download too many PAR files up till now... :)

Its because Gary keeps grabbing the dodgy stuff :p

Hectic

Executive Member
I'm using a single dedicated pc to download torrents from 2 sites and upload 2 the same sites. I use a single uTorrent 2.0 installation to service both sites.

I try not to upload the same files to the 2 sites, but it has happened. I then sit with 2 file names in the client that are same, but the tracker info obviously differ.

I also use Grabbit on the same pc to download from a local site and mainly 1 international site after I received a list of free nzb sites around the world that was recommended by Gary. :thumbsup:
Obviously these free sites have their drawbacks when it comes to older nzb's.

I do not have any paid for news server accounts, but I'm still happy as Hdd space are my biggest problem currently.

Elev8r

uTorrent on mah lappy :) Not sure if it's a good thing to have a laptop on for weeks at a time, but for the past 1.5+ years I've had no probs.

ColinR

Expert Member
I use a single uTorrent 2.0 installation to service both sites.

This would simplify my life, but not solve the problem. I have two different schedules for each.
Anyone else download to a network share?