Defending Apple is never worth the effort

apple have got to be the world's very worst when it comes to connectors.
they are obsessed with constantly changing the design.

power on macbook pro's - never ending changes to the design of magsafe adapters - then they abandoned magsafe.
the differing shapes of the old firewire ports.
then came lightning !!

it never ends with those people.

Have you used a PC?

Keyboards used serial, then AT, then PS/2 and finally USB stuck.

CPU sockets change almost every generation just to force an upgrade.

Every single brand has a different power supply none using a real standard until USB-C sort of came around and then it still doesn’t work for all of them…so much for universal.

In contrast FireWire 400 and 800 were backwards compatible.

Apple was way ahead of the game supporting USB and did so for decades.

I seem to recall Apple being one of the first to support Displayport over USB-C.

In contrast Thunderbolt they embraced before that was Intel’s idea they just implemented.

“Constantly changing”. Dock connector stuck around for more than 10 years commercially and still lives on for many. Lightning is now also 12 years old and only now being phased out.

Honestly this is the first time I’ve seen Apple being accused of changing things too quickly, they are always considered way to slow to change by most.

The MADNESS of DOLBY ATMOS for music fans - Darko Audio​

Is this in regard to the music argument before or was it in another thread? I understand this take. I wouldn't advocate buying all of this if you start off with just one speaker either.

But there are many of us that have spend a significant amount of money on our setups for home theatre that love that we can use it for music as well.

I am not too phased about lossless above cd quality etc, because I can only hear up to 16kHz and that is very faint, but I do get that there are people that can discern the differences and would want to play all these on a set of speakers that they invested a lot of money on.

Anyone know what's in these R75k + macbooks that warrants that price tag?
The current pricing is steeper than when I bought my M1 Pro 16" MacBook Pro in early 2022. I paid R62k for 32GB memory and 1TB storage from Macnificent.

The same specs now but with the M3 Pro are R73,499. Oof.

But as far as the value of my machine goes, it's easily one of the best things I've ever bought.
  • It still looks as flawless as the day I got it
  • Battery life, performance, webcam, speakers, mic etc. are still insanely good
  • Some of my favourite apps are Mac-only. In general, the majority of devs in my web dev circles are using Macs. It's nice to be in the same ecosystem.
I haven't kept in touch with Windows laptops, but I seriously doubt there was any Windows laptop for around R60k in early 2022 that would be as fresh today as it was back then. I mean, the MBP line hasn't changed visually at all, and other than the switch to M2 and M3, the hardware is virtually unchanged. This MBP of mine is going to get crazy longevity before it needs to be replaced.

Also, I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, iPad and HomePods. That adds value to having a MBP that you otherwise wouldn't get.

LOL...

ffaab876a9bf72a6f6d2ae603f9f2a75.jpg

Realistically though, those guys were probably posting to social media about what a joke the $1,000 stand is.

I think the 60Hz refresh rate is a bigger disgrace than the Pro Display XDR's $1,000 stand.

The current pricing is steeper than when I bought my M1 Pro 16" MacBook Pro in early 2022. I paid R62k for 32GB memory and 1TB storage from Macnificent.

But as far as the value of my machine goes, it's easily one of the best things I've ever bought.
  • It still looks as flawless as the day I got it
  • Battery life, performance, webcam, speakers, mic etc. are still insanely good
  • Some of my favourite apps are Mac-only. In general, the majority of devs in my web dev circles are using Macs. It's nice to be in the same ecosystem.
I haven't kept in touch with Windows laptops, but I seriously doubt there was any Windows laptop for around R60k in early 2022 that would be as fresh today as it was back then. I mean, the MBP line hasn't changed visually at all, and other than the switch to M2 and M3, the hardware is virtually unchanged. This MBP of mine is going to get crazy longevity before it needs to be replaced.

Also, I have an iPhone, Apple Watch, AirPods, iPad and HomePods. That adds value to having a MBP that you otherwise wouldn't get.

My (I think 2021?) Dell XPS 15 9500 I had from work with 10th gen intel i7, 32GB RAM, GTX 1660, 1tb SSD. It was going for about 50K, and it replaced our very similar 6th gen intel laptops.
When it was replaced, the 6th gen intel laptops were still great. Mine looked like new and was still fast enough that I didn't think I needed a replacement. If you take care of the battery, it will still have good (for intel, which I know is terrible) battery life as well.

2016 6th gen intel XPS 15:
1713404689272.png
1713404765566.png

2021 XPS 15 9500:
1713404834987.png

Both of those still look pretty good compared recent Apple laptops.

Speaking of battery life, if you abuse it (let it drain completely multiple times), battery health will suffer. Mac apparently isn't perfect in this regard, but windows laptops tend not to sleep so well, so closing the lid and stuffing it in your bag is a terrible strategy for windows laptops.

Given the exchange rates, R74k today is less, in USD, than the R62k in 2022.

My (I think 2021?) Dell XPS 15 9500 I had from work with 10th gen intel i7, 32GB RAM, GTX 1660, 1tb SSD. It was going for about 50K, and it replaced our very similar 6th gen intel laptops.
When it was replaced, the 6th gen intel laptops were still great. Mine looked like new and was still fast enough that I didn't think I needed a replacement. If you take care of the battery, it will still have good (for intel, which I know is terrible) battery life as well.

2016 6th gen intel XPS 15:
View attachment 1693055
View attachment 1693057

2021 XPS 15 9500:
View attachment 1693059

Both of those still look pretty good compared recent Apple laptops.

Speaking of battery life, if you abuse it (let it drain completely multiple times), battery health will suffer. Mac apparently isn't perfect in this regard, but windows laptops tend not to sleep so well, so closing the lid and stuffing it in your bag is a terrible strategy for windows laptops.
My XPS 15 used to regularly wake up in my laptop bag and set fire to my back

Back