Demand for programming skills surge in South Africa

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
possibly, I mean if you can write a Hello world program and your BEE
companies will fight over you, due to the Racist laws and discrimination out there locally at least...

Well that's just not true. I've been involved in testing of new hires, and at least the companies I've worked for, don't have two sets of tests. Although, that hasn't stopped HR from appointing the candidate elsewhere where a technical test won't be required. I also know at least a few brilliant developers that are BEE, and they all struggle to break through certain salary ceilings, same as the rest of us. Granted, they can jump between companies like they're playing frogger, but the increases aren't there like you're describing.

Possibly, they'll get bigger salaries if they go management route, but they don't want to, same like a lot of non BEE devs. Only difference is, the BEE guys won't ever be without work, not even a day. If they do decide to go management, they shoot up like a rocket though..

What I have seen though, is the person completes the test and writes code like a JPL engineer. Then starts working and can barely build a login box for a website - not the backend integration and the like, just the box asking for email and password... So likely got someone else to do the test on their behalf, but again, I'm assuming this happens on all ends of the racial scale.

Convict

I just hope more and more of the current developers in the country get jobs in Europe, eventually, maybe some company will look past my criminal record and give me a chance due to not finding anyone else...lol

Emjay

Honorary Master
All the good coders left ?

A few are still around. But the majority are Prima Donnas and ask for salaries that don't quite align with their value. Give them what they want and then they bail on the next good offer.

BBC

If there is such a demand then why are there so many unemployed graduates.

Even juniors that complete a bootcamp are struggling to find employment.

Just take a look at the HyperionDev alumni on LinkedIn. So many have completed the bootcamp but sit for months or years job hunting.

Where is this demand???

Emjay

Honorary Master
Well that's just not true. I've been involved in testing of new hires, and at least the companies I've worked for, don't have two sets of tests. Although, that hasn't stopped HR from appointing the candidate elsewhere where a technical test won't be required. I also know at least a few brilliant developers that are BEE, and they all struggle to break through certain salary ceilings, same as the rest of us. Granted, they can jump between companies like they're playing frogger, but the increases aren't there like you're describing.

Possibly, they'll get bigger salaries if they go management route, but they don't want to, same like a lot of non BEE devs. Only difference is, the BEE guys won't ever be without work, not even a day. If they do decide to go management, they shoot up like a rocket though..

What I have seen though, is the person completes the test and writes code like a JPL engineer. Then starts working and can barely build a login box for a website - not the backend integration and the like, just the box asking for email and password... So likely got someone else to do the test on their behalf, but again, I'm assuming this happens on all ends of the racial scale.

I know of a small development house doing work for a college to maintain their website, student database and course material, mass mailers, etc. Not difficult stuff. This small dev house brings young adults (in their young 20s) who can barely code and tries to teach and mentor them. They have to have *some* technical understanding and foundational coding experience. The majority don't even make even in that environment. I am finding most university leavers are very stress intolerant these days and are not willing to put in the time.

Development is not easy and requires agreeable, conscientious and high IQ individuals. Those that succeed are in the top 85% percentile statistically speaking. I guess just due to that there is going to be a lot of churn and chancers.

I don't even want to talk about our development team. It's just a mess. Too few people. Too many demands. Inability to retain anyone even though we have great benefits and culture. We do what we have to in order to survive in the meantime.

GhostSixFour

I know of a small development house doing work for a college to maintain their website, student database and course material, mass mailers, etc. Not difficult stuff. This small dev house brings young adults (in their young 20s) who can barely code and tries to teach and mentor them. They have to have *some* technical understanding and foundational coding experience. The majority don't even make even in that environment. I am finding most university leavers are very stress intolerant these days and are not willing to put in the time.

Development is not easy and requires agreeable, conscientious and high IQ individuals. Those that succeed are in the top 85% percentile statistically speaking. I guess just due to that there is going to be a lot of churn and chancers.

I don't even want to talk about our development team. It's just a mess. Too few people. Too many demands. Inability to retain anyone even though we have great benefits and culture. We do what we have to in order to survive in the meantime.

Too few people, too many demands != great culture.

Having beers and gyms and stuff means nothing if there is no order or constant crises. Sure, **** happens, but if it happens all the time, well, why would I want to stay there when I can leave and get the same money plus not be in fire fighting mode all day? Maybe some people like that, and they deserve a premium in salary.

Emjay

Honorary Master
Too few people, too many demands != great culture.

Having beers and gyms and stuff means nothing if there is no order or constant crises. Sure, **** happens, but if it happens all the time, well, why would I want to stay there when I can leave and get the same money plus not be in fire fighting mode all day? Maybe some people like that, and they deserve a premium in salary.

As a dev and/or system owner, don't you have a long list of improvements that need to happen? Our users have so many legitimate requests. No one is putting undue pressure on the devs. But there is a never ending flow of work to be done.

Culture is not limited to drinks or gym or either.

GhostSixFour

As a dev and/or system owner, don't you have a long list of improvements that need to happen? Our users have so many legitimate requests. No one is putting undue pressure on the devs. But there is a never ending flow of work to be done.

Culture is not limited to drinks or gym or either.

Taking this to PM :)

kolaval

Executive Member
A few are still around. But the majority are Prima Donnas and ask for salaries that don't quite align with their value. Give them what they want and then they bail on the next good offer.
What classifies you as a prima donna dev?

GhostSixFour

That junior developer with 2 years of experience at Standard Bank looking for a job at a smaller eCommerce firm for R60k pm.

Whilst demanding a Mac Book Pro Air Magnesium or whatever those things are called.

zippy

Honorary Master
Or are working remotely for European companies at European rates, which is significantly more than what SA companies are willing to pay. Fun times for SA software engineering team leads.

There are limits to remote working for European based companies if you are based outside of the EU. There are strict regulations about data privacy. This also applies to U.K. companies, especially in financial services. We use contractors outside the U.K. and for a lot work we can’t use them because of GDPR regulations.