Demand for programming skills surge in South Africa

cguy

Executive Member
If there is such a demand then why are there so many unemployed graduates.

Even juniors that complete a bootcamp are struggling to find employment.

Just take a look at the HyperionDev alumni on LinkedIn. So many have completed the bootcamp but sit for months or years job hunting.

Where is this demand???
Bootcamps aren’t going to cut it. From what I hear, entry level jobs are scarce (at that skill level at least).

Messugga

Honorary Master
Bootcamps aren’t going to cut it. From what I hear, entry level jobs are scarce (at that skill level at least).
We're doing the grad program thing still, but it's damn risky. You spend money giving these people a foot in the door and then they promptly jump ship after a year or two, for big salary jumps and before they've done much ROI. Can't blame companies for being risk averse in the current economy.

cguy

Executive Member
We're doing the grad program thing still, but it's damn risky. You spend money giving these people a foot in the door and then they promptly jump ship after a year or two, for big salary jumps and before they've done much ROI. Can't blame companies for being risk averse in the current economy.
Yup. It’s like you pay to train them for their first real job.

What the world probably needs is something more than a bootcamp and less than a degree to fill this gap. The US has these 2-year associates degrees from community colleges that probably fits the bill.

B-1

Expert Member

+1 the time and monetary investment is substancial and in IT 2 years of employment is seen as good enough on a CV so its easy for them to chase salary increases.

Petec

Expert Member
Hell, the company I am at are currently hiring for Devs/DevOps, and I have reached out to my SA connections...
They are either not interested coz they are in cushy positions here in SA, or they are killing it, coding for overseas companies.
Take our DevOps position... We're looking at 3-5 years XP, at between $3500 and $4500 (maybe even up to $5000) per month. And so far, zero interest from local SA peeps on my network.

We are at such a skills (with XP) shortage here in SA, it's bloody frightening.

Bighit

Expert Member
, zero interest from local SA peeps on my network

Yeah, I've basically given 3 jobs on a plate to 3 of my connections, all visa sponsored jobs. First guy has accepted, the other 2 aren't interested

SAguy

Executive Member
Hell, the company I am at are currently hiring for Devs/DevOps, and I have reached out to my SA connections...
They are either not interested coz they are in cushy positions here in SA, or they are killing it, coding for overseas companies.
Take our DevOps position... We're looking at 3-5 years XP, at between $3500 and $4500 (maybe even up to $5000) per month. And so far, zero interest from local SA peeps on my network.

We are at such a skills (with XP) shortage here in SA, it's bloody frightening.
I'm also trying to hire devops guys, really struggling.

Managed to fill a junior role now at R43k pm. Took me 5 months to find someone. Have a senior role open but my budget of R80k pm isn't enough to hire someone with the senior experience I need.

Cost for a good senior devops person is closer to R100k pm now.

DreamKing

Honorary Master

Managed to fill a junior role now at R43k pm. Took me 5 months to find someone. Have a senior role open but my budget of R80k pm isn't enough to hire someone with the senior experience I need.

really? any further information? I want to take it if you don't mind I am too old for a junior position. :p

PaulMurkin

Expert Member

Managed to fill a junior role now at R43k pm
. Took me 5 months to find someone. Have a senior role open but my budget of R80k pm isn't enough to hire someone with the senior experience I need.

100% correct.
Spot on

Convict

really? any further information? I want to take it if you don't mind I am too old for a junior position. :p
I did not know you can be too old for a junior position...lol I'm too inexperienced for anything less than a junior position, but now that you mention age, I can somewhat understand why I never get any call backs when applying for junior positions. It seems this is a catch 22 situation for me then.

DreamKing

Honorary Master
I did not know you can be too old for a junior position...lol I'm too inexperienced for anything less than a junior position, but now that you mention age, I can somewhat understand why I never get any call backs when applying for junior positions. It seems this is a catch 22 situation for me then.

some employers want to recruit young people for junior positions because of senior position in future.

DreamKing

Honorary Master

Snr C#.Net Developer​

• Cape Town
  • Salary: R37 500.00 - R44 583.00 Per Month (Negotiable)
  • Job Type: Permanent
  • Sectors: IT
  • Reference: JJ113
  • Employment Equity Position

senior for R37k - R45k ........

do you know why you can't find a developer now?

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
some employers want to recruit young people for junior positions because of senior position in future.
And get away with paying them shyte for a while... doesn't work like that. Know of too many stories where people eventually left because they hit a ceiling

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
Nice Saturday afternoon... not hot AF... just the right temperature. Cat on my lap...
Hacking a MonoChoice product :laugh:
1638022792200.png

cguy

Executive Member
Amusingly I’ve found it quite tricky to hire (all very senior dev or dev ops at this point) friends/ex-colleagues from SA, even if they’re already in the UK. They’re doing very well for themselves by their measure and don’t want to explore alternatives that may break them out of their comfort zone. The frustrating bit is that “their measure” is sometimes way off, but they don’t want to listen.

BuckRogers

Snr C#.Net Developer​

• Cape Town
  • Salary: R37 500.00 - R44 583.00 Per Month (Negotiable)
  • Job Type: Permanent
  • Sectors: IT
  • Reference: JJ113
  • Employment Equity Position

senior for R37k - R45k ........

do you know why you can't find a developer now?
What is a Employment Equity Position.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
There's a keyword in the article which will make me take this all with less than a pinch of salt.
And that is Careerjunction- those people are proven to be complete liars and out of touch with reality.

I work in IT, I know what's going on... Enough was said by other forumites so I won't regurgitate.
However, the Netherlands is happily taking anyone who is good enough, at the moment, and I have my seat reserved on the next boat out...
What are your IT skills?

Chinmaya

100K days are gone. Some banks are now paying much much higher in the range of 1.3 to 1.8