Demand for programming skills surge in South Africa

wingnut771

Honorary Master
That I have noticed as well. And because IT is the type of field that can also easily be done remotely, there are even more international opportunities available now. I have two entry level friends, their first job they landed after doing a basic course was from a company oversees, working remotely from here.
What basic course can I do?

Chinmaya

Snr C#.Net Developer​

• Cape Town
  • Salary: R37 500.00 - R44 583.00 Per Month (Negotiable)
  • Job Type: Permanent
  • Sectors: IT
  • Reference: JJ113
  • Employment Equity Position

senior for R37k - R45k ........

do you know why you can't find a developer now?
Some
Hell, the company I am at are currently hiring for Devs/DevOps, and I have reached out to my SA connections...
They are either not interested coz they are in cushy positions here in SA, or they are killing it, coding for overseas companies.
Take our DevOps position... We're looking at 3-5 years XP, at between $3500 and $4500 (maybe even up to $5000) per month. And so far, zero interest from local SA peeps on my network.

We are at such a skills (with XP) shortage here in SA, it's bloody frightening.
its not experience shortage. Some people just don’t want to pay the money and want people at horribly low salary. I was making 5100 in the year 2006 while working in the US.

wingnut771

Honorary Master
I just hope more and more of the current developers in the country get jobs in Europe, eventually, maybe some company will look past my criminal record and give me a chance due to not finding anyone else...lol
How are you earning a living?

Convict

I'm currently employed by a very small web development company, which means I have no senior developers that I work with, no real growth potential, not working in a team of developers. So yes I hope that one day I can also work for a company that has a team of developers where I can be one of the team ,and learn from others. But I'm employed and for that I'm grateful, just have a hunger for more.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
As a dev and/or system owner, don't you have a long list of improvements that need to happen?
No, there's no list of needs. Improvements are not needs.
{Insert insufficient buffer joke}

Development is not easy and requires agreeable, conscientious and high IQ individuals.
Well there's your problem.
Our users have so many legitimate requests. No one is putting undue pressure on the devs.
Correct, the devs are doing it to themselves because they agree to everything.
Whose protecting the devs from themselves?

But there is a never ending flow of work to be done.
{Insert iterative development joke}

I'm currently employed by a very small web development company, which means I have no senior developers that I work with, no real growth potential, not working in a team of developers. So yes I hope that one day I can also work for a company that has a team of developers where I can be one of the team ,and learn from others. But I'm employed and for that I'm grateful, just have a hunger for more.
Open source communities are your friends, just don't be too conscientious

Last edited:

Petec

Expert Member
I'm also trying to hire devops guys, really struggling.

Managed to fill a junior role now at R43k pm. Took me 5 months to find someone. Have a senior role open but my budget of R80k pm isn't enough to hire someone with the senior experience I need.

Cost for a good senior devops person is closer to R100k pm now.
Heck, I have the average pinned down at between R120 - R140, for DevOps with good experience. These peeps are crushing it.

SAguy

Executive Member
Heck, I have the average pinned down at between R120 - R140, for DevOps with good experience. These peeps are crushing it.
It's insane... I've unfortunately ended up running a team of devops guys so losing a bit of my tech edge because of management side. Really need to find more time for tech so I can push those numbers too.

Virex

Is that the only criteria. Serious question. For instance can a black British National with a work permit apply.
Well a black British National isn't white. So I presume the answer is yes.

Last edited:

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
What are your IT skills?
General application programming in C, C++, Python, Golang, Swift
Linux kernel development in C
OS independent driver development for hardware in C, and Golang
EMV kernel development to current 4.3j revision including knowledge and ability to do certifications
Knowledge of the payment environment in SA and abroad in select countries (in SA, Bankserv incl. all major banks in SA)
Networking including firewalling and complying with the PCI-DSS standard and auditing

100K days are gone. Some banks are now paying much much higher in the range of 1.3 to 1.8
Can confirm.... just be careful, if you don't like regular "security clearances" and being watched and your private life being dug into, its not for you.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member

Snr C#.Net Developer​

• Cape Town
  • Salary: R37 500.00 - R44 583.00 Per Month (Negotiable)
  • Job Type: Permanent
  • Sectors: IT
  • Reference: JJ113
  • Employment Equity Position

senior for R37k - R45k ........

do you know why you can't find a developer now?
Cheapskates.... probably a code shop or a sweatshop type gig

wingnut771

Honorary Master
General application programming in C, C++, Python, Golang, Swift
Linux kernel development in C
OS independent driver development for hardware in C, and Golang
EMV kernel development to current 4.3j revision including knowledge and ability to do certifications
Knowledge of the payment environment in SA and abroad in select countries (in SA, Bankserv incl. all major banks in SA)
Networking including firewalling and complying with the PCI-DSS standard and auditing

Can confirm.... just be careful, if you don't like regular "security clearances" and being watched and your private life being dug into, its not for you.
How did you go from an electrician to that? I've gone down the wrong career path over the last 25 years, now I need to change but don't know how.