Denmark plans to limit 'non-western' residents in disadvantaged areas

surface

Honorary Master
I follow much of the Christain Afrikaans part of SA customs, and speak two of the official languages. I support South African sports teams over all others.
From what I can tell, you don't work, socialize and interact solely with people from your old country, and you don't try and make changes so that your neighbourhood is more like the country you come from.

If I ever immigrate, the new country will be my home. I will learn to speak one of the official languages of that country, or I won't go there. I will support their sports teams over the South African ones. I will join their groups, and not only socialize with other South African expats.
I will respect and adopt their way of doing things and will not promote my usual way of doing things over theirs. That does not mean I will completely forget my culture and I will definitely find a way to acquire or make biltong.
I will also not move into an area where there's a majority of other South Africans. Not because I don't like South Africans, but because I believe it's disrespectful to the country that allowed you in.
I don't really follow sports (for a country) and don't care who wins or whatever. I like to enjoy watching performances of many countries. Now what? Am I a traitor to SA ? In most of the aspects, I don't care for country borders either (other than legally that I have to of course) and I try to be as humanist in approach as possible.

I don't think this is a problem in Denmark. Main problem I think is these people are muslims and hence not allowed to have their own community, so to speak. If they were Amish, then they will fit right in even if they probably form same 'ghettos'

p.s. Interesting to note you won't move in with Safficans. I have no idea why it will be disrespectful to that country if you do that. Again , you can't be going to Perth then.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I don't really follow sports (for a country) and don't care who wins or whatever. I like to enjoy watching performances of many countries. Now what? Am I a traitor to SA ? In most of the aspects, I don't care for country borders either (other than legally that I have to of course) and I try to be as humanist in approach as possible.

I don't think this is a problem in Denmark. Main problem I think is these people are muslims and hence not allowed to have their own community, so to speak. If they were Amish, then they will fit right in even if they probably form same 'ghettos'

p.s. Interesting to note you won't move in with Safficans. I have no idea why it will be disrespectful to that country if you do that. Again , you can't be going to Perth then.

You seem overly sensitive today.

And yes, the main problem is that they are "very" Muslim, and that their values are incompatible with a "very" secular, progressive country like Denmark and Sweden. Well, according to what I understand of those countries.
If they were Amish, I don't think they would fit in at all, since they also don't integrate well. The Amish seem to be less violent according to my TV series education on the topic, so that may cause less friction.
A problem also seems to be how some young Muslim men treat unaccompanied women over there, which is probably not the Amish way of doing things. Again, based on the one or two articles I've read about it and my severely lacking knowledge of the subject.

I see emigrating and sticking to your own kind, like going to a party and ignoring the host, only interacting with one or two of the other guests and eating the free food.

surface

Honorary Master
You seem overly sensitive today.

And yes, the main problem is that they are "very" Muslim, and that their values are incompatible with a "very" secular, progressive country like Denmark and Sweden. Well, according to what I understand of those countries.
If they were Amish, I don't think they would fit in at all, since they also don't integrate well. The Amish seem to be less violent according to my TV series education on the topic, so that may cause less friction.
A problem also seems to be how some young Muslim men treat unaccompanied women over there, which is probably not the Amish way of doing things. Again, based on the one or two articles I've read about it and my severely lacking knowledge of the subject.

I see emigrating and sticking to your own kind, like going to a party and ignoring the host, only interacting with one or two of the other guests and eating the free food.
cool. Then say it is problem because you reckon there is problem of violence & Islam indoctrination and so on. What is this elaborate circling around customs, traditions, sports, not living with expats and so on.? . I don't see why I have to follow any custom/tradition/sports of any country really to be a good citizen.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
cool. Then say it is problem because you reckon there is problem of violence & Islam indoctrination and so on. What is this elaborate circling around customs, traditions, sports, not living with expats and so on.? . I don't see why I have to follow any custom/tradition/sports of any country really to be a good citizen.

While I don't think that the whole customs thing leads to problematic behaviour, I do think it is of some importance.
Immigrating is a big step, and I think it is important to respect your new country and it's people.

surface

Honorary Master
While I don't think that the whole customs thing leads to problematic behaviour, I do think it is of some importance.
Immigrating is a big step, and I think it is important to respect your new country and it's people.
I believe there is enough statistics available to show link between religion of Islam and violence. Nothing to do with any other religions yet that conclusively.

Also, I don't get this respect thing to country & its people. I respect people on a person to person basis (and that may change for a person depending on what he/she did) and I am pretty sure everyone does the same. I can understand not disrespecting a country (e.g. not do something trashy like burn a flag) but how would you respect a country? Lot of Brit "expats" here support England cricket team here. Same with durbanites supporting Indian team and certain fordsburgians supporting Pakistan - can we say they are disrespecting SA by your definition?

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
I believe there is enough statistics available to show link between religion of Islam and violence. Nothing to do with any other religions yet that conclusively.

Also, I don't get this respect thing to country & its people. I respect people on a person to person basis (and that may change for a person depending on what he/she did) and I am pretty sure everyone does the same. I can understand not disrespecting a country (e.g. not do something trashy like burn a flag) but how would you respect a country? Lot of Brit "expats" here support England cricket team here. Same with durbanites supporting Indian team and certain fordsburgians supporting Pakistan - can we say they are disrespecting SA by your definition?

It depends....
Many of the Indians forefathers weren't exactly here by choice. But yes, if you came to SA willingly and support England/India over South Africa, I see it as disrespectful.

Respect is a vague thing for me. I also believe respect is earned by the individual, but then again everyone should be treated with some level of respect by default, until they prove that they don't deserve it.
A country is it's people, and you respect it and them by treating it the way you would want someone to behave if you invite them into your home or onto your property.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
It depends....
Many of the Indians forefathers weren't exactly here by choice. But yes, if you came to SA willingly and support England/India over South Africa, I see it as disrespectful.
What do you mean not by choice?
Also Indians and cricket is a really terrible example.

abzob

Honorary Master
TIL that all the saffers in Perth support the Wallabies over the Boks.