Dental implant + crown costs?

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I am lucky to have very strong teeth (skew af, but strong) but friends of mine have been through this and more than one has reported that Discovery knows full well that this can be done 'in the chair' according to the jargon, and they specifically will not pay for implants.

I think the other forumite was abe to get them to pay as they needed the bone graft which is in-hospital?

Neuk_

Executive Member
I am lucky to have very strong teeth (skew af, but strong) but friends of mine have been through this and more than one has reported that Discovery knows full well that this can be done 'in the chair' according to the jargon, and they specifically will not pay for implants.

I think the other forumite was abe to get them to pay as they needed the bone graft which is in-hospital?

I had my implants done in the chair, both of them, in one sitting but then Discovery isn't paying anything as I am on a hospital plan.

Neuk_

Executive Member
If I'm reading that right R34k just for the bone work and implant, excluding the crown?

I paid less than that for two implants but mine was done in chair and there was no 'bone work' other than drilling for the implant.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I had my implants done in the chair, both of them, in one sitting but then Discovery isn't paying anything as I am on a hospital plan.
Hehe, yea, you are stuffed there.

Did you get the weird anesthesia where you are only half asleep? I have heard about it from others and frankly it sounds like a horror movie.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master

No, the other forumite (Me) asked for it to be done in hospital because he is a wuss.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
No, the other forumite (Me) asked for it to be done in hospital because he is a wuss.
LOL. Really though? I have heard from 2 or three people that that is not an option. They were all on Discovery, as are we so that's why we were interested in it.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Hehe, yea, you are stuffed there.

Did you get the weird anesthesia where you are only half asleep? I have heard about it from others and frankly it sounds like a horror movie.

Nope, I got a local anesthetic on each side of my face, so my face was fully asleep :ROFL:

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
LOL. Really though? I have heard from 2 or three people that that is not an option. They were all on Discovery, as are we so that's why we were interested in it.
Yep really. I had no issues. I simply asked my periodontist if it can be done under general anesthetic and he said yes, they will do it in the day hospital. I phoned Discovery to get authorization and they paid for most of it.

I'm on Discovery Smart Classic plan so it had to be in a network hospital, which is luckily was.

airborne

Honorary Master
I paid less than that for two implants but mine was done in chair and there was no 'bone work' other than drilling for the implant.
Was that just for the implants themselves without the crown/tooth?

Neuk_

Executive Member
Was that just for the implants themselves without the crown/tooth?

Yes, I have my last periodontist appointment at the end of July to check the implants before I go to our dentist for the crowns.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Yep really. I had no issues. I simply asked my periodontist if it can be done under general anesthetic and he said yes, they will do it in the day hospital. I phoned Discovery to get authorization and they paid for most of it.

I'm on Discovery Smart Classic plan so it had to be in a network hospital, which is luckily was.
Wow, thank you so much for this info. I know one person who is desperate but cannot afford it out of hospital, this could actually be life changing.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Stop it! So you were fully aware of everything they were doing you were just numb? I am definitely too squeamish for that.

Yep, fully aware, reminded me of the time I ran in to a door frame and had to have sutures in my left eyebrow. Local anesthetic so I could see the doctor stitching me up just like I could 'feel' and hear the drill in my lower jaw. It was a bit uncomfortable but no pain whatsoever, my jaw was a bit tender for a while afterwards though.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Stop it! So you were fully aware of everything they were doing you were just numb? I am definitely too squeamish for that.
Had a wisdom pulled like that a while back, dentist said, we can try with local or you can go in under at the hospital. Said stuff it, do local. That was an experience and a half and those teeth are like hooks. Managed to get it out though, definitely put the gent through his paces though :D

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Yep, fully aware, reminded me of the time I ran in to a door frame and had to have sutures in my left eyebrow. Local anesthetic so I could see the doctor stitching me up just like I could 'feel' and hear the drill in my lower jaw. It was a bit uncomfortable but no pain whatsoever, my jaw was a bit tender for a while afterwards though.
Uh uh.

TofuMofu

Honorary Master
I had my abutment placed yesterday so my implant procedure is now completed. 6 months is along time lol.

Total cost for implant:

R37600.88 of which I paid out of pocket R15117.77. The rest Discovery paid.

Now I need to wait 2 weeks for gums to heal and then get my crown. Will report on that cost when done. So far I'm very happy. I'm the BIGGEST needle wuss and this was all good. Had some pain yesterday after the local anesthetic wore off, but fine again today.

If you're in Pretoria, I would recommend Dr JA Muire www.pretoriaperiodontist.co.za. He only does the implant though, not the crown.