DEOD TV in South Africa - The technical details

MickZA

Executive Member
I subscribed on the 4th and was initially impressed with the video quality on the few snippets I watched although the app kept crashing on my android tv box.

They seem to have fixed the app when I watched a couple of old episodes of House last night and video quality was excellent until I tried "The Code", a series I hadn't watched before. I was about 20mins in and really getting interested when the stream suddenly lost quality, started buffering and eventually the app crashed:

Network.png
(10Mbps line)

The sub 1Mbps stream is Showmax on another tv box and the additional +/- 2Mbps is the DEOD stream I was watching which dropped to around 1.5Mbps around 21:00 prior to the crash at which point I gave up and switched to NAS content. No problems were reported with Showmax - I hear about it fast if there are any!

Doubt I'll cough up for another month as the series content is minimal - House, Suits, Power, Parks & Recreation, Weeds, Black Sails, Rake, The Code and Survivors Remorse pretty much sums up the adult content.

I reckon DEOD have a lot to do if they want to establish a presence in this market.

Last edited:

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Interersting is the variation of choices. You can choose the Premium package for R49 for Fri, Sat, Sun.
Makes perfect sense. We're becoming less and less weekday tv viewers.

Dolby

Honorary Master
For a non technical guy ... Why are the local streams so poor compared to Amazon and Netflix? I'm getting UHD HDR on 18mbps and never had an issue .

I have read guys that had issues with a 10mbps 720p / stereo on Showmax. Is it the compression Netflix use and, if so, why can't Showmax do the same?

Dan C

Honorary Master
For a non technical guy ... Why are the local streams so poor compared to Amazon and Netflix? I'm getting UHD HDR on 18mbps and never had an issue .

I have read guys that had issues with a 10mbps 720p / stereo on Showmax. Is it the compression Netflix use and, if so, why can't Showmax do the same?

Is Showmax local now ? The last time I was trouble shooting with Chris from VOX, all the streams came from overseas servers.