Department of Health explains how vaccinations for people over 50 years old will work

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
How vaccinations for people over 50 will work

South Africans over the age of 50 can register for vaccinations from 1 July 2021 and will be allowed to walk in at a vaccination centre to receive their jab.

This is feedback from Dr Nicholas Crisp, deputy director-general in the national Department of Health, who spoke to Netwerk24 about the next phase of vaccinations in the country.

Acting health minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane announced last week that people aged between 50 and 59 would be able to register for the Covid-19 vaccines this week.

John Tempus

Executive Member
I would love to see how they handle the process for walk-ins. If it is anything remotely similar to home affairs conditions then I guess this will be a super spreader walk-in for people getting the jab.

GG

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
My >60 inlaws have still neither received an SMS to go vaccinate in Durban. Utter bullsh!t EVDS system.

Brawler

Honorary Master
My >60 inlaws have still neither received an SMS to go vaccinate in Durban. Utter bullsh!t EVDS system.
It was the same for my parents. My dad ended up going to clicks last Friday (walk-in) and they gave him an appointment for the following Monday.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Co-Worker just turned 60 and went on Monday afternoon after getting his appointment.
Sea Point
In and out in 20 minutes, the longest part was the 10-minute wait after the injection to see if he is fine
I don't know if it is a normal procedure or because he is diabetic

He feels great and is very happy with their service

noxibox

Honorary Master
Co-Worker just turned 60 and went on Monday afternoon after getting his appointment.
Sea Point
In and out in 20 minutes, the longest part was the 10-minute wait after the injection to see if he is fine

The wait afterwards applies to everyone because the vaccine can induce a potentially fatal allergic reaction.

keru

I would love to see how they handle the process for walk-ins. If it is anything remotely similar to home affairs conditions then I guess this will be a super spreader walk-in for people getting the jab.

GG
Have taken a few individuals over 60 as walk-ins and the process was smooth. Never waited more than an hour for the whole process. This was in Randburg and Germiston.

Kawak

A glimmer of hope for SA in this vaccination drive, seriously good when I took my parents, got SMS for them at city hall, we got really professional service, all the questions were asked, data was captured correctly, got sms the same evening with reference as proof and got second jab sms as well as reference proving full vaccination, nurses really felt trustworthy and one can feel genuine care. The entire process was run very well, proper distancing and adherence to protocol throughout, chairs for the elderly was provided the whole way. From what I have heard of people getting theirs done at dischem, it was more chaotic.

But it doesn't matter how hard I try, a friend's mom just won't go, because his sister is one of those anti vaxers that believes in genetic alteration by corporations.and and...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
How vaccinations for people over 50 will work

South Africans over the age of 50 can register for vaccinations from 1 July 2021 and will be allowed to walk in at a vaccination centre to receive their jab.

This is feedback from Dr Nicholas Crisp, deputy director-general in the national Department of Health, who spoke to Netwerk24 about the next phase of vaccinations in the country.

Acting health minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane announced last week that people aged between 50 and 59 would be able to register for the Covid-19 vaccines this week.
Not interested in his stupid explanations when he and his department can't or won't indicate why

1. People over 60 who have registered are NOT getting their appointments;
2. People who are uninsured are being discriminated against and are not being accepted as walk-ins;
3. Why people at so-called walk in sites in PTA are told that walk-ins are only being accepted between 08:00 and 10:00, when the rules say walk-ins are allowed up to 15:30.
4. Why large private vax sites are standing idle;
5. Why private sites will not accept people to be vaxed without EVDS numbers and appointments even when they claim to be walk-in sites;
6. Why uninsured people are being denied the opportunity to pay whatever levy there is to be vaccinated at a private site, and;
7 Why the government is not refunding private sites the amounts required to vaccinate uninsured people!

Dr Crisp and his cronies are making the problem worse and are NOT DOING ANYTHING constructive about sorting out the existing mess. Instead, they make the problem bigger and bigger by the day.

Last edited:

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Not interested in his stupid explanations when he and his department can't or won't indicate why

1. People over 60 who have registered are NOT getting their appointments;
2. People who are uninsured are being discriminated and are not being accepted as walk-ins;
3. Why people at so-called walk in sites in PTA are told that walk-ins are only being accepted between 08:00 and 10:00, when the rules say walk-ins are allowed up to 15:30.
4. Why large private vax sites are standing idle;
5. Why private sites will not accept people to be vaxed without EVDS numbers and appointments even when they claim to be walk-in sites;
6. Why uninsured people are being denied the opportunity to pay whatever levy there is to be vaccinated at a private site, and;
7 Why the government is not refunding private sites the amounts required to vaccinated uninsured people!

Dr Crisp and his cronies are making the problem worse and are NOT DOING ANYTHING constructive about sorting out the existing mess. Instead, they make the problem bigger and bigger by the day.

I addressed this issue in another thread:
Points 2, 6, and 7 are Department of Health legal rulings about reimbursement for vaccinations. Points 4 & 5 are private companies worried about being ripped off, or tangled up in red-tape.

Ask Minister Mkize about petty rules. Oh wait, he's been suspended...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Take this in the context of what the Squirrel keeps claiming then see just what a very bad message is being sent by all of this.

Dischem has bemoaned the fact that 70% of people with appointments are not honouring them.
No one is asking about maybe those people don't even know about their appointments because the system is just broken?
What about a person in Durban being allocated an appointment in JHB? Another sign of a working system?

I spoke to a person at our local Dischem this morning when we were there. The Covid related queues at the Clinic have caused so much disruption that a special "covid clinic" has now been created, with a queue outside the shop.
Also indicated that they are setting them themselves up to also administer vaccinations, BUT that GP health is tying them up in all sorts of knots.
And that Dischem will accept "uninsured" persons on payment of the levy because they are no longer prepared to see so many in PTA East being denied the opportunity to be vaccinated.

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Sea Point

Strange, norm here was 15 minutes if no known allergens, 30 minutes if you do.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I registered my dad for the vaccine on 23 June. His appointment was between 8am and 10am this morning. At 8.11am I got an SMS to say that he has been vaccinated.
Count yourself lucky that you don't live in the schithole called GP and especially in Tshwane, which was completely destroyed by the ANC.