Department of Health paid R250,000 for a WordPress website - report

system32

Expert Member
Mkhize described the public outrage as justified and denied playing any role in the contract award, or that he was friends with the people working there.

He also denied benefitting in any way from the contract or from Digital Vibes.

However, Daily Maverick tracked funds and benefits that moved from Digital Vibes to the minister’s family.

Mkhize said that all the funds would be returned, adding that the relationship between his adult children and the company was inappropriate and insisted there was no malice or intentional overstepping involved.
He's not friends with his children?

All the funds would be returned?
If I rob a bank and return the funds, that makes it all good and I'm no longer a bank robber???

ajan

South Africans don’t care about these scandals anymore, nothing will ever move the majority into action until there’s no money for grants.
Better yet, Corporate SA loves it. Free money for limited work and innovation.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Where is the website? Pending on the requirements it could be R250 000, but a basic website, no.

This, however,

PLM-DigitalvibesPelo3.jpg

@ R1.1. million is a wastage. You can get this on Fiverr at a more generous rate.

moklet

Expert Member
WordPress is a free, open source tool for online content management and publishing.
That is always what gets me. People tell me it is free so why charge me. I always have to tell them I don't charge you for WordPress, I charge you for my time to setup, design etc. R 250.000 might be justified or not just depends of what the requirements were, but R 250.000 seems a bit high. But just to throw a statement that WordPress is free and open source is not right

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

According to documents we’ve obtained, Digital Vibes paid a local animation studio roughly R266,000 to create Pelo, a 3D Nguni cow character outfitted in a doctor’s coat and spectacles.

Pelo was due to be rolled out as a mascot for the NHI, sources familiar with the matter have told Scorpio.

The DoH ended up paying a grossly inflated price for the work. In an invoice submitted in February 2020, Digital Vibes first billed the DoH R800,000 for “animation 3D development”.

Another invoice from March 2020 included a further R300,000 charge with the same description.

I wonder who is the local animation studio, but damn, that is o_O

In other words, Digital Vibes billed the department R1.1-million for an outsourced animation project that cost only R266,000. This translates to a massive 314% mark-up and netted the firm R834,000 in pure profit.

that is not business acumen.

I am much more surprised at how quickly the department settled their bills related to a tender...

The DM article is quite the read.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
That is always what gets me. People tell me it is free so why charge me. I always have to tell them I don't charge you for WordPress, I charge you for my time to setup, design etc. R 250.000 might be justified or not just depends of what the requirements were, but R 250.000 seems a bit high. But just to throw a statement that WordPress is free and open source is not right

It is sensational, Wordpress is a CMS and not a website.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
My logo is a nguni cow. Check it out on my profile. Cost me R5k. I was going to use it for my company then instead we adopted the logo from the main company in Oz.

I would have given it to the Health department for free. It represents being as strong as an ox.

Shadowchaser1

SA has a very weak President. He has proved himself over and again. If SA's want to see a real President, go and check out the President of Malawi regarding corruption. It's on YT.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
But a website can absolutely be built with a CMS.

It entirely depends on how it is being interpreted, to quote DM,

The company also charged the DoH R250,000 for “WordPress completion” (WordPress is a free, open source website tool); R200,000 for “raw video footage” and R150,000 for “placement of opinion pieces”, among other curious billings.

when I see an item line like, "WordPress completion", on an invoice, I would assume it would mean a completed WordPress setup process, it is an installed WordPress instance, without any scope that is what it is - bare-bones WordPress CMS.

What can be build with a CMS is content, WordPress does not build APIs, themes, plugins, etc.

I assume Digital Vibes does pretty much what I do, manage a client, but as an 'digital' advertised entity they should know that a website is a separate item to the CMS. I believe that the website would have also been sourced, but then it should have been established as such who has rendered what and can be copied as per the service renderers invoice. It doesn't take rocket science to be honest.

Seeing how much they made on the animated cow,

This translates to a massive 314% mark-up and netted the firm R834,000 in pure profit.

I don't even want to know the mark-up on the "WordPress Completion", and any maintenance plan attached to the website. Nevermind the hosting.

keru

I would have expected My broadband to be a bit more responsible with their headlines. A WordPress website can be anything from a couple of thousand to hundreds of thousands based on a number of factors. Just because the CMS is free does not mean the underlying work is free or every website is a basic brochure ware.

Temujin

Honorary Master
NHI mascot is a cow, makes sense, they will after all milk it dry like everything else

j4ck455

Executive Member
Maybe I'm imagining it, but I suspect the mascot is modelled on Mkhize, for example the seemingly unnecessary addition of spectaculars, the cow's mouth, devil horns, and the lack of genitals (it's a gender confused cow):

Digital-Vibes-Department-of-Health-NHI-Pelo-the-Nguni-cow.jpg
Zweli-Mkhize-South-African-Minister-of-Health-21.jpg