Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo: 'We need something quite drastic to stop corruption'

Currantly

Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo delivered a gripping closing statement on the second day of former Prasa board chair Popo Molefe's testimony about corruption at Prasa during the state capture inquiry - where, among others, Zondo addressed what is required to stop corruption in South Africa and in the ruling party. Here is Zondo's statement:

You might not have covered yourself in glory by saying certain things in the eyes of certain people. But I think certainly a lot of what you have said, needs to be said.

And in the eyes of those who put the interests of the country first, and in the eyes of those who are really committed to serving the public; serving the poor, some of the things you have said should make them very happy.

Part of what you have said raises issues that I continue to be concerned with as I look at what this commission is doing and what it should be doing, and what areas it should be focusing on.
Linky

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Raymond, we have something drastic, its called a fsking jail cell....
Have you seen how the ANC pardon's jailed criminals left and right at the drop of a hat? How they make fall guy's go to prison, and then organise them an early parole and a farm in the Freestate?

I mean I get what you're saying, but the rot is deep.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Have you seen how the ANC pardon's jailed criminals left and right at the drop of a hat? How they make fall guy's go to prison, and then organise them an early parole and a farm in the Freestate?

I mean I get what you're saying, but the rot is deep.
I know...
I am working in the ideal world, where you are suspected of wrongdoing, its investigated properly and then if you are guilty of it you are thrown in jail for the mandated period and you are also marked for the rest of your days as a criminal.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
It may be time for us to stop referring to State Capture in the past tense, associating it entirely with the Gupta era. It is clear, almost every day, that the state and institutions are being hollowed out by deployees of the ruling alliance. This deployment has the effect, also, of cognitive capture; embedding the ideas and values, and the culture and traditions of a liberation movement that seems to be unable or unfit for the purpose of statecraft. The “capture” then, includes the state, institutions and the ideas, or cognitive capture.
It may well be argued that the ANC has a mandate to govern. It is also true that in most democracies (like the UK or Britain) the most senior officials of the incoming administration replace existing officials. But there is continuity and stability in, say, the British, German or Singaporean public service, and there is no Soviet-style vetting system, nor is there anything like the bloated National Executive Committee of the ANC that may have the power to interfere with the business of state.
The key, here, is that none of these began and ended with the Gupta family. To the extent that they, Malema, Montana or Magashule are guilty of everything they’re accused of, total capture began with the deployment of party loyalists who were insufficiently qualified to do their jobs (hence the glut of consultants early in the 2000s), and it continues today.

Last edited:

nightjar

Expert Member
I'm starting to think these ANC guys doesn't know what corruption means.
To them, it's not corruption and that is why Zuma insists that he did nothing wrong.
African culture is utterly different to, and always trumps, European culture when personal interests are concerned.

Look at the writings of early explorers, hunters, traders, prospectors etc who were forced to pay off the local chiefs in whatever region they wanted to hunt, trade, prospect, preach or whatever.

Nothing has changed in two centuries and every deployed tribesman exercises what he feels is his right to extract tribute wherever possible.

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
I think pulling down colonial statues, BBBEE, AA and a ban on cigarettes should do it ..................