Deregistering a Trailer to be sold outside SA (ADVICE REQUIRED)

scon

Hi,

I hope there is someone that has had experience in this that can provide some information;
My parents have been in Namibia for nearly 20 years. They now want to sell a trailer that they took with them when they moved. The licence for the trailer has been kept up to date.

Can anyone give any information on what will be required for me to deregister the trailer on their behalf?
Apart from the Application for deregistration of vehicle (Form ADV), are there any other documents that I will need?
Will a copy of my dad's ID be sufficient? Should my dad fill in the document, sign it, scan it and send it back? Or write a letter giving me "power of attorney" to deregister on his behalf?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

S

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Can anyone give any information on what will be required for me to deregister the trailer on their behalf?
Remember you are dealing with SA government employees. Transfer ownership to yourself would be far better than dealing with the licensing department. It's bad enough paying for a license renewal when you are not the owner.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Remember you are dealing with SA government employees. Transfer ownership to yourself would be far better than dealing with the licensing department. It's bad enough paying for a license renewal when you are not the owner.
Yeah, even better, transfer ownership to yourself, then sell it here.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If I may ask, why did they keep the license up to date in SA if they have lived in Namibia for 20 years?

scon

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll try to answer all the questions.

@ToxicBunny They kept the license up to date as they are still South African citizens and until recently had a number of vehicles which were still registered here. They were never certain of their status of staying in Namibia, so it wouldn't have made sense to change the registration over to Nam.
The trailer is in Windhoek. The cost of me driving there and bringing it back will negate anything you get from selling it. He already has a buyer lined up there.

So, my question to you guys, @pinball wizard @Dairyfarmer: How would changing the ownership to myself be easier than deregistering/scrapping the trailer? There would still be forms to fill in. My dad is still 2500km away.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
So, my question to you guys, @pinball wizard @Dairyfarmer: How would changing the ownership to myself be easier than deregistering/scrapping the trailer? There would still be forms to fill in. My dad is still 2500km away.
In order to deregister an item on Natis you need to be the owner. So either you get ownership transferred to yourself and then deregister or your father comes to SA and deregisters. Change of ownership does not require the owner to be present, they just need to sign the form. (http://www.enatis.com/index.php/downloads/doc_download/159-notification-of-change-of-ownership-sale-of-motor-vehicle-form-nco)

• Obtain ownership & title papers from the registration authorities stating that the person exporting the item is the valid owner and titleholder of the vehicle. This is obtained from the local Natis registration authority.
  • Obtain a de-registration certificate from the Natis register stating that there are no outstanding road ordinance fees.
  • A police clearance certificate confirming that the vehicle is not stolen from the police authority.

Last edited:

dillinger

I think for export it needs to be deregister (for export) data dot needs to be done and police clearance, paperwork needs to be presented at border when it leaves the country. Does the trailer have a valid TIP that its in Namibia, they will ask for it when it leaves Namibia.

Swa

Honorary Master
Whether you transfer ownership to yourself or not makes no difference as the owner needs to sign the documents so it's just an extra step for no reason. I would have suggested post but we know how SAPO is. Really the easiest way is to just fill in the form yourself and make his signature. Not a lot of questions will be asked if you can provide a copy of his ID as well. Of course you'll also need the registration documents. If those aren't in your possession it will be a pita regardless.

I don't know the procedure in Namibia but they'll have to provide the buyer with proof he legally purchased it as well and it may be seen as an import.

dillinger

Bottom line is.....................

To do change of ownership the trailer needs to go through roadworthy, trailer needs to come to SA.

For police clearance the trailer needs to be presented at a government vehicle testing station, trailer needs to come to SA.

When the trailer leave SA the paperwork and trailer need to be shown at the South African border customs.

When the trailer enters Namibia the import paperwork needs to be done at the Namibian customs at the border, VAT can be paid later. eg at Transworld Cargo in Windhoek.

For the TIP, 20 years ago I don't think they had that, its only valid for 90 days. You can get a TIP extension in Windhoek but now you need to explain when and how it came into the country...................... opens a new can of worms.

scon

Wow, much more information this round. Thanks everyone.
@Dairyfarmer @dillinger @Swa

It seems I did not have ALL the information from my parents when I posted here.
The trailer has been standing outside for a number of years and is no longer roadworthy (tires baked by the sun, lights no longer working, rust, etc.). So we really just want to scrap the trailer.
They don't even own a vehicle with a hitch on it anymore. He has a buyer that will take parts from this trailer to build up something new, but this is irrelevant.

What sort of proof will be required for this?
@Swa Your plan seems like the easiest route at this stage.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
@scon
A motor vehicle that has not been licensed for four years will be deregistered automatically.
Tell him to stop paying the license fee for 4 years.

Or

What you should do
  1. Go to your nearest registering authority and submit the following:
    • a certified copy of your identity document
    • a certified copy of proof of ownership of the motor vehicle (title holder)
    • supporting documentation if required
    • the vehicle’s registration certificate.
  2. Complete the Application for deregistration of vehicle (ADV) form.
How long does it take
The application will be processed on the same day.
How much does it cost
The service is free but penalties and arrears may be charged if the application is late.
Forms to complete
Application for deregistration of vehicle (ADV) form.