Derek Chauvin guilty in death of George Floyd

Grant

Honorary Master
  • Former Minneapolis Police officer Derek Chauvin has been convicted on all charges in the death of George Floyd.
  • Chauvin faces up to 40 years in prison for second-degree murder, up to 25 years for third-degree murder and up to 10 years for second-degree manslaughter.

deesef

Expert Member
Last edited:

chrisc

Executive Member
As expected but not guaranteed
But will this verdict alter the behaviour of other white cops in the USA? Doubt it

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
How can a person be guilty on 3 counts for killing one person? It just sounds very American...

It means the judge will determine sentencing for each conviction, and if one or two are overturned on appeal, the third will still apply. It's much fairer than all or nothing miscarriages of justice.

wbot

Expert Member
As expected but not guaranteed
But will this verdict alter the behaviour of other white cops in the USA? Doubt it
Interesting. Why are you singling out white cops? What have they done now that black, Asian, hispanic cops don't do?

Pegasus

Executive Member
So what was the burning, looting and rioting about, if it’s quiet clear that the justice system works properly there?

Reactions: ES1

Kodi

Convicted by mob justice.

The evidence did not support charge 1 or 2 beyond a reasonable doubt, imo. Maybe 3 at a push.

It is what it is. Policing about to become a whole lot less effective, crime will soar.

/I'm entitled to my opinion.

wbot

Expert Member
You realise that this whole case is 10% a guy died and 90% a white cop killed a black guy?
What does this have to do with the bahaviour of white cops when black cops target and kill black people too? I'm asking what is this apparant behaviour white cops have that is unique to white cops? Why single them out?

Pegasus

Executive Member
What does this have to do with the bahaviour of white cops when black cops target and kill black people too? I'm asking what is this apparant behaviour white cops have that is unique to white cops? Why single them out?
I hope those responsible for the looting and rioting also get fair trials.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
Convicted by mob justice.

The evidence did not support charge 1 or 2 beyond a reasonable doubt, imo. Maybe 3 at a push.

It is what it is. Policing about to become a whole lot less effective, crime will soar.

/I'm entitled to my opinion.

You should approach their judicial service to give them your viewpoint, you seemingly know better than those who studied all the evidence in detail.

wbot

Expert Member
The cringe made me laugh:

EzdEicSVoAAJHV3

Hamster

Resident Rodent
They don't come with natural night camouflage and reflect in the dark, hence their nefarious activities are noticed more frequently.