Derek Chauvin guilty in death of George Floyd

Kieppie

Expert Member
So why were conservatives rejoicing when 3 judges were appointed, with the words Roe vs Wade being banded about, if there is no possibility that a conservative judge can rule in favour of a conservative value?
You clearly don't know what activist judge means...

buka001

Honorary Master
10/10 for the strawman.

You see, we all know that asking a question about what an expert in a field says, is the equivalent of stating that you are fully qualified of taking that person's place.
No.

I said in that reply that on the balance of probabilities the experts argument would be stronger than a non expert.

Showing why, by using an example where a pilot is better than a guy who googled it.

buka001

Honorary Master
You clearly don't know what activist judge means...
I do.

I am saying there is also a perception that conservative judges will rule in favour of conservative values.

Which is like "activisim", but with a conservative flavour.

Such as overturning Roe v Wade is a long time conservative issue that many would love to see being overturned.

konfab

Honorary Master
I do.

I am saying there is also a perception that conservative judges will rule in favour of conservative values.

Such as overturning Roe v Wade is a long time conservative issue that many would love to see being overturned.
Not exactly a good example considering that Roe v Wade was considered a bad judgement even by those who supported its outcome:

https://archive.is/UzUm7

Kieppie

Expert Member
I do.

Saying that they favour conservative values proves otherwise.
Conservatives favour following the constitution. That is not activism. That's exactly what Judges should be doing. Interpreting the rule of law. Not making new ones.

Even though Roe should be overturned from a legal standpoint they won't do it.
If you've actually watched some conservatives talk about such matters you'd know this
This won't stop the fearmongering by the far left though.

greg0205

Honorary Master
For how many months did the jury see video of Shriver before the trial?
How many riots took place?

You seem to have missed my earlier post that the jury's preconceived views of the defendant matters more than the actual evidence.
Kieppie: The jurors saw the Floyd video before the trial! Mistrial!

buka: Daniel Shriver.

Kieppie: Jurors only had time to watch that once, at most two or three times, before the trial... I see no problem here.

You're a living, breathing:

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-max-1mb.gif

buka001

Honorary Master
Saying that they favour conservative values proves otherwise.
Conservatives favour following the constitution. That is not activism. That's exactly what Judges should be doing. Interpreting the rule of law. Not making new ones.

Even though Roe should be overturned from a legal standpoint they won't do it.
If you've actually watched some conservatives talk about such matters you'd know this
This won't stop the fearmongering by the far left though.

Lol I can copy what you said verbatim (changing the Roe to should not be overturned and change conservatives with liberals) and it end it with

... fear mongering by the far right though.

Both are subjective.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Kieppie: The jurors saw the Floyd video before the trial! Mistrial!
buka: Daniel Shriver.
Kieppie: Jurors only had time to watch that once, at most two or three times, before the trial... I see no problem here.
You're a living, breathing:

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-max-1mb.gif
No Greg. There is no shifting required. One time <> Year worth of videos and riots.
If you try and compare these two cases on that ground you're delusional.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Lol I can copy what you said verbatim (changing the Roe to should not be overturned and change conservatives with liberals) and it end it with

... fear mongering by the far right though.

Both are subjective.
No.

Putting it into an example like you often do.
You're trying to argue that truly religious people are just as likely to blaspheme as non religious.

So no, Conservative judges aren't just as likely as liberal judges to be activist judges.
Unless you have a completely wrong notion of what the term actually means.

Kieppie

Expert Member
Anyway this is the last post I'll make regarding the trial until the appeals take place.

This thread has almost turned into a proxy for the US politics thread.

So I leave the floor to you.

buka001

Honorary Master
No.

Putting it into an example like you often do.
You're trying to argue that truly religious people are just as likely to blaspheme as non religious.

So no, Conservative judges aren't just as likely as liberal judges to be activist judges.
Unless you have a completely wrong notion of what the term actually means.
Except evidence contradicts your opinion.

Have a read of this paper which shows how the term "activist" is used, depending on who is using the term.

Do Liberals and Conservatives Differ in Judicial Activism? - FH Easterbrook

Google that, link doesn't copy over properly.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Anyway this is the last post I'll make regarding the trial until the appeals take place.

This thread has almost turned into a proxy for the US politics thread.

So I leave the floor to you.
Well, yeah...
Since most of the crowd is here. Can we request that the creation of a new US politics thread be delayed?
Everyone deserves a short holiday.

Sure, we're on a working holiday in this thread anyway.

buka001

Honorary Master
You should probably wash your hands after typing that shyte.
Obviously also never heard of Eric Garner (his video was also available, of him being held in a chokehold saying he can't breath and subsequently dying) either.

Or Freddie Grey (there were protests and video footage) and still the policeman were not convicted.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
yoh what a dumpster fire this thread is ... it's almost like the usual suspects from the US politics dumpster fire are here on a detour to the echo chamber

well ... more blitz for your braai:

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Good riddance to a criminal scumbag....pity that the cop has to be punished instead of rewarded - American justice is a pain in the throat nowadays.

greg0205

Honorary Master
In the great tradition of
Every Hollyweird celeb
Leftist grifter...

I give you:

With campaign manager, Brad Parscale... This guy:

dxcIRLeR

Nice takedown, officer!

Oh, did I say "leftist grifter"? Sorry I meant MAGA Republican grifter/s.

Clownworld.

PS. We need a new US thread. Clownworld has been stepping on rakes for the last 48 hours and we need some place to post, point and laugh.