Derek Chauvin guilty in death of George Floyd

Temujin

Honorary Master
yoh what a dumpster fire this thread is ... it's almost like the usual suspects from the US politics dumpster fire are here on a detour to the echo chamber

well ... more blitz for your braai:
I felt like either way you are going to disappoint one group or the other. I did not want to go through rioting and destruction again and I was concerned about people coming to my house if they were not happy with the verdict.
Yeah, the appeal is only going one way :thumbsup:

Cray

Honorary Master
Yeah, the appeal is only going one way :thumbsup:
Summarize the grounds for appeal in five sentences or less please...

You know that "The jury was biased" is not a valid legal argument right? What new evidence will they be introducing?

Temujin

Honorary Master

You know that "The jury was biased" is not a valid legal argument right? What new evidence will they be introducing?

ponder

Honorary Master
You know that "The jury was biased" is not a valid legal argument right?

It actually is, US juries have found people guilty before despite scientific forensic evidence and that includes many a black person probably more so than any other demographic.

Botha22

rh1

Expert Member
Stop being murderous assholes, stop flinging your fists bashing cops faces in, stop trying to stab other people, stop trying to stab cops and the good cops (most cops) wont kill you. It's simple.
Even if you never smoked weed, commit a crime, USA police will still kill you. Search police brutality in youtube. I remember, one scene, kid (white though it does not matter - but to some of you it does) was walking in the opposite direction from the fight, huge policeman comes running like a linebacker, choke hold him and slams his head into the side of the building killing him, cop got away with it.

Cray

Honorary Master
It actually is, US juries have found people guilty before despite scientific forensic evidence and that includes many a black person probably more so than any other demographic.
Not suggesting juries cannot be biased, am just not sure how you could make that argument without adding new evidence.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Related article:

surface

Honorary Master
Related article:
Wow. USA had to call a UCT trained guy out of his retirement in USA to testify ? Didn't they have their own confederate doctors to do this?

I wonder if this was the cream of the crop that migrated to US in 1994 ?

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Wow. USA had to call a UCT trained guy out of his retirement in USA to testify ? Didn't they have their own confederate doctors to do this?

I wonder if this was the cream of the crop that migrated to US in 1994 ?
Yeah, he left in the early 90s

konfab

Honorary Master

I can do it in 5 words:

Maxine Waters should shut up.

There :)

konfab

Honorary Master

The first portion of this livestream discusses the possible grounds for appeal.

In summary:

1) There are legal issues with the definition of a felony murder that was applied in Minnesota. (This is quite complex, which is something that you can guarantee the 10 hours of jury deliberations didn't take into account).
2) The fact that the jury wasn't fully sequestered, for example, they had knowledge of the settlement by the city.
3) There was severe prosecutorial misconduct. For example, the prosecutors during the trial stated that the defence attorneys were lying.

Just as a perspective, these guys are pretty anti-police in general as they lean libertarian.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Pray tell why in your expert legal training should juries not exist?
you dont need legal training for his assertion. His (and that of remainder of world that does not use juries) assertion is that there is no sense having complex legal decisions made by people with no complex legal training. I am sure there is a document somewhere explaining why SA dropped juries. Some truly egregious balls ups have been made by juries over the years.

JohnStarr

Expert Member
you dont need legal training for his assertion. His (and that of remainder of world that does not use juries) assertion is that there is no sense having complex legal decisions made by people with no complex legal training. I am sure there is a document somewhere explaining why SA dropped juries. Some truly egregious balls ups have been made by juries over the years.
...but not by judges. Go back and recheck on that fact and it's the same.

Bonywasawarrioraway

...but not by judges. Go back and recheck on that fact and it's the same.
no no judges are equally fallible. especially in SA where one can study law from age forty and be a judge by 55 while still not understanding dolus eventualis principle of intention. A full bench still beats a jury in my book. Can you imagine jury trials in SA today? *shudder*

Currantly

Expert Member
[...] had knowledge of the settlement by the city.
3) There was severe prosecutorial misconduct. For example, the prosecutors during the trial stated that the defence attorneys were lying.

Just as a perspective, these guys are pretty anti-police in general as they lean libertarian. [bolding mine]

That's rich. I watched about 10 min of the prosecutors closing statement & almost everything he said was either an outright lie or misrepresentation.

Temujin

Honorary Master
The first portion of this livestream discusses the possible grounds for appeal.

In summary:

1) There are legal issues with the definition of a felony murder that was applied in Minnesota. (This is quite complex, which is something that you can guarantee the 10 hours of jury deliberations didn't take into account).
2) The fact that the jury wasn't fully sequestered, for example, they had knowledge of the settlement by the city.

Just as a perspective, these guys are pretty anti-police in general as they lean libertarian.

Jurors: just say guilty so we're safe from mob... appeal and higher courts can deal with it
Judge: just let it run to end regardless so I'm safe from mob... appeal and higher courts can deal with it
And its just going to continue like this, passing the buck through the system wit no one willing to risk their life, families, careers etc by upsetting the cancel culture mob