Diablo Immortal - Blizzcon Announcement

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
WoW subscriptions are not what they used to be, tapping into a potentially massive mobile market seems like good business sense. If they can use that revenue to keep shareholders happy while they are making proper games then am all for it.
I agree, and they will tap into the Chinese market. Ignoring hacks, they will coin it.

Cray

Honorary Master
**** that entirely. There are more than enough MMOs in the world, and not nearly enough gritty ARPGs, a genre entirely created by the first two Diablo games.

That being said, I can't imagine a return to what Diablo ought to be, given how far they've sunk, so it's a moot point to me either way.
Not too mention the life cycle and massive commitment to bringing another MMO to market, hell Blizzard are already developing a side MMO with WoW classic - introducing another MMO might very well cannibalize their own fan base.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
No doubt they are going to make loads of money, but it's not as if they are in dire straits. To my mind, once a company is willing to piss off their most rabid fans in the pursuit of money (because they know they will come out on top, regardless), it's beginning of the end of what generated those fans in the first place.

After the travesty of D3, from a fan perspective, the correct thing to do in respect of the Diablo franchise would have been to realise and admit the scope of their initial mistake, and spend the next couple of years doing nothing but secretly creating the best D4 they could possibly make.

ekske1

Executive Member
Biggest problem here was the tease at something Diablo related and then revealing a mobile game. If they have released a two second title page confirming Diablo 4 or Diablo 2 remastered at the same time they could have headed off a lot of outrage.
Exactly and be smart like bethesda.

Show short clip of Diablo IV/D2 remastered

+ announce Diablo mobile.

Wow. Problem solved.

Cray

Honorary Master

Since I was producer on Diablo 2, a lot of people have been asking for my thoughts on the whole "Diablo Immortal" fiasco. I hate to say it, but what you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore.

There is nothing wrong with having a mobile version of Diablo. In fact, I would have wanted one as an option. But the way it was hinted at, and presented, and the failure of Blizzard management to predict the backlash caught me my surprise. Blizzard used to be really gamer driven

Blizzard coyly played up the Diablo hype, which is a good move, but failed to anticipate that their PC based audience was going to expect...well...a PC based announcement. And that following all that hype up with a *different* product is a huge bait-n-switch feeling moment.

Blizzard has said now, that they are working on multiple Diablo projects. They really should have dropped a teaser for their PC based project alongside their mobile announcement if that's the case.

But what is really telling, is that this *surprised* them. They were expecting backlash, but they didn't have a plan for it. They didn't predict the wave. Any Diablo gamer could have simply TOLD you what would happen if you asked

Blizzard never used to have to ask, because it was made up of hard core gamers from top to bottom. We used to say we were our own harshest audience for our games. I would have had a line of devs outside my door telling me this was a bad move.

ekske1

Executive Member
I hate to say it, but what you are seeing is Blizzard not understanding gamers anymore.
Since StarCraft II without lan for asian target market?
Since Panda-WarCraft?
Since Asian targeted mobile market at Western market event having been cockteased for months?

They've lost the plot for a while now.

Then there is this

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Oh man, it warms my heart to see consumers reacting like this. If you make bad games, you can expect a bad reaction.

Which marketing idiot thought that this would go down well with players? They should have done this with a new brand, no Diablo. I know they wanted to use Diablo's brand power to help this venture, but they may not have realized that they also risk the brand by doing so. If they now announce D4, people might be soured on it because of DI.

They should cancel it and announce that they misread the desires of their audience.

Also, did anyone see a clip of that guy asking whether this was an April Fool's joke? ha ha!
They should have done what Bethesda did when they made a mobile game. Announce it as a "by the way" together with a proper game that the community wants, like D4.

They did the thing that makes the most sense by making a Diablo mobile game. If it was a different franchise it will have a lot fewer players. With the Diablo name, this stands out from the rest of the crowd.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Just when you thought Fallout 76 would take the crown for worst announcement of the year, Blizzard clinches it in the end.

Arzy

Honorary Master
Just when you thought Fallout 76 would take the crown for worst announcement of the year, Blizzard clinches it in the end.
They always just have to be better than everyone else...

Cray

Honorary Master
Command and Conquer:Rivals was in the running too but yeah, Blizzard nailed it.

Rabobi

Executive Member
As long as D4 still comes out im fine with this.

My issue is the absolute FU they gave us all this time. Would be nice to give them the FU when D4 comes. But i will scream and shout and swear at Blizzard (and secretly install D4)

mattrudlles

To be honest I played Diablo 3 through once and I got over it. It just lacks that magic which Diablo 2 had.

This will be more shallow, mad clicking from the Diablo franchise.

kaaskop

Expert Member
What upset me most about this is that i played D2 for the story line. I really enjoyed playing through the campaign and get stronger while doing so.

I want to know what happened between D2 and D3 but i am not going to buy a flippen phone to find out. My phone is for calls and messaging not to play games. I don't buy R10000 plus phones.

Why continue a story line that's only accessible on one platform?

konfab

Honorary Master
Ah ha, it is two platforms. Android and iOS. And statistically, there are orders of magnitude more people with Androids and iPhones than there are consoles and PCs.

:p

Ninja'd

A Djinn
It's just one game. Try being a Kingdom Hearts fan.

Edit: All these games are canon and integral to the overall story.

Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (Gameboy Advance, later remade on PS2)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
Kingdom Hearts Coded (Mobile Phones in the pre-Apple and Android days, later remade on the DS)
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP)
Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4, Xbone)

Luckily they released compilations of the games later during the PS360 era.

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Command and Conquer:Rivals was in the running too but yeah, Blizzard nailed it.
I cried a little, also knowing that they hinted at remastering the 1st Decade series which is every C&C up to Generals. I dislike mobile games, some are okay, but it is bots (boosting) galore.

Oh, rock worm... Thank you for fcuking up Dune.