DialDirect Insurance now offering cash back every month?

Fireball

Hey all

So, I got the email from Dial Direct today that one can get between 25% and 75% of your premium back per month.
Like most things, this seems a little too good to be true. Link

My car insurance premium is about R1,000 per month (and I'm not under 25, nor have I ever claimed, nor do I drive a Ferrari - just your average-joe secondhand sedan) so, naturally I'm looking to pinch a few pennies if I can.

Anyone here a Dial Direct customer? Think it's worth it?

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I just joined recently so I will let you know. I think it is though, from what I have read.

From what I understand, you pay an extra R70 per month to have the payback booster added to your policy. That raises the minimum cashback of your policy to 5% and the maximum to 75%. The 5% alone nearly covers the extra R70.

There are 4 things that you can do, like vehicle checks and so on, that give you 5% each, valid for a year. So, by doing all 4, you can raise your minimum to 25%.

Oh and you get a bonus 5% for having home contents insurance.

I do think it will be difficult to get a driving rating higher than 3 stars. For my first trip, just driving to work, I was rated a 2 star. I got far higher ratings when Discovery rated my driving than Dial direct.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Okay having had a look at the rating I have received for a few drives, I see a major flaw in their rating system as far as the user is concerned.

Here is the rating for a trip of mine that I did this afternoon:
Drive Score
1 out of 5 stars earned
2 harsh accelerations
0 harsh brakes
0% speeding
No phone use detected
0% night time driving
Very high risk route travelled

The very high risk route was William Nicol drive. If you have a look at the rest of the stuff, it really doesn't seem bad, does it? I don't know what they mean by harsh acceleration - guess their definition is different to mine. The point I am trying to make is that the route you take has a MAJOR impact on your rating which means it has a major impact on the premium you end up paying.

To be fair, there is some logic in this - busy roads are also high accident zone roads. But, the problem is, I feel the weighting is too heavy in favour of the route you take. That trip should have been a 2 star, not a 1 star.

Mvu

Okay having had a look at the rating I have received for a few drives, I see a major flaw in their rating system as far as the user is concerned.

Here is the rating for a trip of mine that I did this afternoon:
Drive Score
1 out of 5 stars earned
2 harsh accelerations
0 harsh brakes
0% speeding
No phone use detected
0% night time driving
Very high risk route travelled

The very high risk route was William Nicol drive. If you have a look at the rest of the stuff, it really doesn't seem bad, does it? I don't know what they mean by harsh acceleration - guess their definition is different to mine. The point I am trying to make is that the route you take has a MAJOR impact on your rating which means it has a major impact on the premium you end up paying.

To be fair, there is some logic in this - busy roads are also high accident zone roads. But, the problem is, I feel the weighting is too heavy in favour of the route you take. That trip should have been a 2 star, not a 1 star.
Guess I wont be downloading the app...

Currantly

I guess my premium increases are paying for all of these rebates for people using this app...I imagine this app being used to deny claims for unrelated reasons: "Sorry, it looks like you didn't come to a complete stop about 20 seconds before the accident" or "Looks like you were going 63 km/h when the other vehicle collided with you...we're not paying out for that."

travcaine

I guess my premium increases are paying for all of these rebates for people using this app...I imagine this app being used to deny claims for unrelated reasons: "Sorry, it looks like you didn't come to a complete stop about 20 seconds before the accident" or "Looks like you were going 63 km/h when the other vehicle collided with you...we're not paying out for that."
That is my worry as well, I often wonder if the insurance companies are allowed to ask for your driving information from your tracking company to check your driving habits before an accident. I know it is a lot of admin but are they allowed?

eg2505

Honorary Master
That is my worry as well, I often wonder if the insurance companies are allowed to ask for your driving information from your tracking company to check your driving habits before an accident. I know it is a lot of admin but are they allowed?
officially no, they promise and swear up and down, they WONT use that info.

but of course they do, its a business, needs to make money somehow... so if they can deny a claim
they will.

Currantly

officially no, they promise and swear up and down, they WONT use that info.
I'm sure it's hidden somewhere in the fine print that they can use whatever relevant information/data against you in the event of a claim. On top of that it occurred to me that there's nothing stopping another insurance company or individual from forcing any relevant information out of Dial Direct if they believe it will help their case. No thank you.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
I moved to a different insurer.

The app would frequently not pick up that I was driving. So, it would then not log a trip.

The rating means that it is pretty much impossible to get anything above 3 stars.

It just doesn't work. I prefer Discovery's use of the tracking device, because it is tied to your vehicle and not your phone. I know that Discovery does have an app option, but the tracking device is the best. It just works.

neoprema

Expert Member
I was gonna do this too. I guess when something sounds too good to be true..

You basically have to free-wheel your vehicle everywhere with almost no acceleration and not go over 40kph anytime and MAYBE you'll get something back...

Drifter

Honorary Master
I declined Discoveries Vitality drive points. Lady that works with me insurance premium got increased because of her driving points.