Diamond rush' in KZN sparks call for calm, pending inspection

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Both photos, I have seen, I did not see a single octahedron shape.
You most common shape of a natural diamond?

George Netherby

Expert Member

Love how they comment... they [cops/government] don't want to upset the people. People are not wearing masks.. but's all good (don't upset them). Cops just left them.

edit: 1.52 is the comments.
The environmental impact of this drivel is going to be interesting to see.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Both photos, I have seen, I did not see a single octahedron shape.
You most common shape of a natural diamond?

High quality diamond crystals are octohedral in shape. However stones found in nature are rarely perfect, and may have been subject to millions of years of erosion. Facture and wear are not uniform, so you end up with some random looking thing...

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
High quality diamond crystals are octohedral in shape. However stones found in nature are rarely perfect, and may have been subject to millions of years of erosion. Facture and wear are not uniform, so you end up with some random looking thing...
Does anyone know anything about the industrial diamond industry?
How are industrial diamonds "manufactured"?

Last edited:

Norrad

Expert Member
What is the verdict?
Are they real?
It's taking an awfully long time to confirm, so I'm sort of on the fence now and there may actually be a possibility that they are real. Quartz would have been easily identified and dismissed, but perhaps these might be another type of crystalline carbon due to there being high coal deposits in the area and therefore would take longer to test.

Oldfut

Expert Member
It's taking an awfully long time to confirm, so I'm sort of on the fence now and there may actually be a possibility that they are real. Quartz would have been easily identified and dismissed, but perhaps these might be another type of crystalline carbon due to there being high coal deposits in the area and therefore would take longer to test.
Not sure it is related to the coal deposits as I think most diamond like crystals come from some metamorphic processes. As I understand it quartz is primarily silica whereas diamond is carbon; usually found in massive volcanic pipes where there has been huge heat and pressure; from basalt in Southern Africa. There are significant volcanic rocks in the Ladysmith area but, I suspect, mostly dolerite that has intruded into the earlier sedimentary rocks, including the Vryheid Formation where cola occurs. While the intrusions are large I don't think they are the size that produces diamonds but who knows; I ain't no geologist.

Cosmik Debris

Honorary Master

A jeweller takes 5 minutes to test. The government is in a quandary. It's KZN, an election year and Covid wave 3. They don't want to pop the euphoria bubble and have the crowd turn on them for bringing bad news and being accused of wanting to steal the "diamonds".

Norrad

Expert Member
Not sure it is related to the coal deposits as I think most diamond like crystals come from some metamorphic processes. As I understand it quartz is primarily silica whereas diamond is carbon; usually found in massive volcanic pipes where there has been huge heat and pressure; from basalt in Southern Africa. There are significant volcanic rocks in the Ladysmith area but, I suspect, mostly dolerite that has intruded into the earlier sedimentary rocks, including the Vryheid Formation where cola occurs. While the intrusions are large I don't think they are the size that produces diamonds but who knows; I ain't no geologist.
I only mentioned the coal deposits as diamonds aren't the only form of crystallized carbon. Many coal miners in the UK would collect carbon/coal crystals. Some of those crystals were perfectly clear and looked a lot like diamonds and I honestly thought many of them were diamonds when I was younger. Obviously, they are chemically identical to diamonds, but their crystalline structure is very different as you mentioned in the way they are formed.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master

Search for Kimberlite. Explosive violent volcanic eruption that rapidly transports diamonds from 150km deep to the surface in minutes:

Glock26

Expert Member
30 Second test to tell if they are real. Govt is sh*tscared to tell these people what they have is worthless.
Before you know it, they will be asking big business to sponsor real diamonds to swap with the poor people who think they are rich now.
Idiotic all round.

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
A jeweller takes 5 minutes to test. The government is in a quandary. It's KZN, an election year and Covid wave 3. They don't want to pop the euphoria bubble and have the crowd turn on them for bringing bad news and being accused of wanting to steal the "diamonds".
Yip.. they left the people (in the video posted) , no cops no interruptions.

I think government doesn't want to seem the bad guy, so they are leaving people alone. Cops are not even enforcing mask or social distancing. That tells you quite a lot.

Oldfut

Expert Member
Geologist mate of our families who has spent time in Namibia and up the west coast had a look at the pictures and reckons this

"Look more like zircons and quartz crystals probably weathered out of the Drakensberg lava flows”
Yup and down the Orange River - alluvial diamonds.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
By far the easiest test to remove any doubt is to burn one in oxygen using a torch. Because it's carbon - Diamond burns. And it burns with a red flame.
It does not burn fast though so nothing to stress too much about if one is in a hurry to test. And when you seem to have diamonds to burn as they do lol.