Diesel Smoke at idle

bromster

Expert Member
Hi folks,

So if my car is idling, hot or cold, I get blue smoke from the exhaust and short periods of rough idling every 6 seconds or so.

If I rev it up to about 1000rpm, it goes away completely. When I let go and the car returns to its idle speed 750rpm, the smoke and erratic idling return.

Any diesel heads with any ideas please? No errors on diagnostics. I'm suspecting maybe turbo seals, injectors, idle valve, EGR valve,

Mileage is 130k, so small niggles are to be expected. My turbo is also starting to whistle a little, so worn turbo seals are a possibility. I have recently cleaned the MAF sensor with no change. The engine is also slowly consuming oil which it hasn't before.

Thanks so much

Naks

Expert Member
Blueish smoke indicates oil is burning during combustion - get that checked out ASAP!

The last thing you want is a runaway diesel engine

Kosmik

Honorary Master
My toyota diesel used to be smoky on startup and at odd times but the smoke was normally white/grey , never blue.

bromster

Expert Member
Thanks everyone. I had the EGR valve replaced under warranty a few years ago when I had a minor version of the same problem. The problem cleared up initially but returned after a few months. It isn't a huge issue, but if there is now carbon building up for whatever reason, I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

I think it will be worthwhile to start doing my oil every 6 months as well.

SpliceGold

Thanks everyone. I had the EGR valve replaced under warranty a few years ago when I had a minor version of the same problem. The problem cleared up initially but returned after a few months. It isn't a huge issue, but if there is now carbon building up for whatever reason, I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

Personally I would flog that Peugeot asap! When things start going wrong everything goes wrong and everything fails all at once. These cars were not made to last. Hopefully you did purchase it new. That specific model you have comes with many issues had the same one. Nice eye candy but that it!

SpliceGold

How do you find the power in your Peugeot is it very sluggish? Problem with that Peugeot is that everything is electronic and when one thing goes it takes everything with it. I prefer vehicles now with an actual accelerator cable not a sensor :ROFL:

bromster

Expert Member
Personally I would flog that Peugeot asap! When things start going wrong everything goes wrong and everything fails all at once. These cars were not made to last. Hopefully you did purchase it new. That specific model you have comes with many issues had the same one. Nice eye candy but that it!
I'm planning on cleaning it up and giving it to my parents when I upgrade. I've had very few issues so far and I've owned it almost from new, so I know that it has been taken care of.

What they do with it after that is up to them

bromster

Expert Member
How do you find the power in your Peugeot is it very sluggish? Problem with that Peugeot is that everything is electronic and when one thing goes it takes everything with it. I prefer vehicles now with an actual accelerator cable not a sensor :ROFL:
Power and torque is great. Not as perky as it was when I got it, but still fine. I hardly ever need to downshift on uphills.

SpliceGold

Power and torque is great. Not as perky as it was when I got it, but still fine. I hardly ever need to downshift on uphills.
Think you one of the lucky ones. The more mileage we put on our car (min 200km per day) the more power it lost over time. Suppose for a little run around every now and again it should be fine. Just make sure its parked under covers. Peugeot electronics and sitting stationary in the rain for prolonged periods dont mix :X3:

bromster

Expert Member
Think you one of the lucky ones. The more mileage we put on our car (min 200km per day) the more power it lost over time. Suppose for a little run around every now and again it should be fine. Just make sure its parked under covers. Peugeot electronics and sitting stationary in the rain for prolonged periods dont mix :X3:
Yeah. The mechanic said that the 1.6 diesel is one of the most trouble-free engines they put into the car, luckily for me.

That aside, another symptom I've noticed when I'm on the road is that the engine runs smoothly if my foot is off the accelerator, or when I'm accelerating normally. However, if I press the accelerator very very lightly, it starts to run a bit rough with minor jerking as I slowly accelerate. To me, it seems like the diesel injectors have difficulty with very fine control of fuel supply. Perhaps this is the problem I'm having at idle as well.