Digital Covid-19 vaccine passport for South Africa launching "in just over a week"

Mirai

Expert Member
Let me see if I understand.

He said:

You said:

So he is saying vaccine passports are a load of crap.
But you say "he's a hack, who cares what he thinks".

Ergo: he's talking crap in that there is no justification in the use of vaccine passports.

Flipflop incoming...

He's unreliable, either way. But vaccine passports seem to be a good idea beyond incentive factor.

Mirai

Expert Member
I know people like to blame "Big Pharma" for this, but from what I observed, it was mainly politicians (of all stripes) who engaged in this nonsense. I'm unaware of any senior executive from Pfizer, Moderna or J&J claiming their vaccines prevented transmission.

J&J:

The effect on the incidence of symptomatic and asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection by the vaccine suggests that it might be useful in reducing community-wide transmission.

I think everyone is hoping that vaccines will reduce transmission.

There are studies which show they definitely reduce the period of viral shedding and that it's harder to culture the viruses which are sampled from vaccinated persons than unvaccinated. Of course if you don't get sick in the first place, you can't transmit.

Grant

Honorary Master
if you are all for 'aborting' someone in hospital that cannot live without machines keeping them alive
Only a self indulgent sadist would insist on keeping someone alive by means of secondary life support.
Just think - what fun:

Intubated and oxygenated by mechanical ventilator.

Feeding tube

Urinary catheter

Colostomy bag

Manually turned on bed every 3 hrs

Grant

Honorary Master
He's unreliable, either way. But vaccine passports seem to be a good idea beyond incentive factor.
While I'm pro vax to the extent I'm part of a clinical trial, I'm not that sure of the vax passport thing - until such time as a vaccine prevents and cures infection.
The best we have are vaccines that decrease the extent / severity of symptoms.

It would be utterly impossible to implement some form of vaccine passport that may limit access to public facilities - think SAPS, Home Affairs, SARS etc.

Mirai

Expert Member
While I'm pro vax to the extent I'm part of a clinical trial, I'm not that sure of the vax passport thing - until such time as a vaccine prevents and cures infection.
The best we have are vaccines that decrease the extent / severity of symptoms.

It would be utterly impossible to implement some form of vaccine passport that may limit access to public facilities - think SAPS, Home Affairs, SARS etc.

I don't know either. But if we screen people before indoor gathering in terms of temperature or symptoms or even persons per volume, we can do something similar with vaccinated people given they may be less likely to have COVID-19 or pass it on. Every bit helps. As to how this is implemented and so on is a different matter.

So it's not true there is no benefit at all as that journalist said.

Obviously there are advocates for it all over the world. There are also opponents of the idea all over the world.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
03e12b9372ad41c3c3d85365592a9609.jpg

tetrasect

Expert Member
I don't know either. But if we screen people before indoor gathering in terms of temperature or symptoms or even persons per volume, we can do something similar with vaccinated people given they may be less likely to have COVID-19 or pass it on. Every bit helps. As to how this is implemented and so on is a different matter.

So it's not true there is no benefit at all as that journalist said.

Obviously there are advocates for it all over the world. There are also opponents of the idea all over the world.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any thermal cameras around.

dusi

About 60% percent of all transmission is caused by presymptomatic individuals who hadn’t yet developed symptoms and asymptomatic people who never developed symptoms. So screening people for temperature won't really be that effective.

tetrasect

Expert Member
About 60% percent of all transmission is caused by presymptomatic individuals who hadn’t yet developed symptoms and asymptomatic people who never developed symptoms. So screening people for temperature won't really be that effective.

Yup, did a bit of reading now and it looks like both a temperature rise of 0.4 degrees or more, as well as a slight elevation in resting heartrate can be used to detect Covid very early, but obviously neither of those work for public screening as you don't know the history of every person.

Nevertheless very interesting and worth monitoring yourself if you own a smart watch.

surface

Honorary Master
=
I concur. Added some numbers for authenticity. "About 60% percent of all transmission is caused by 74.8% presymptomatic individuals who hadn’t yet developed symptoms and 63.2% asymptomatic people who never developed symptoms. So screening 49.8% people for temperature won't really be that effective."

surface

Honorary Master
This will be a spectacular failure... mark my words
What exactly will fail? Vaccine passports will not be implemented? OR they will be implemented but they won't work on mobile devices? OR they will work on mobile devices but it will show incorrect information?

I mean if you want to have your 'I told you so' moment, you need to at least make some effort.

you will probably say all of above.

tetrasect

Expert Member
What exactly will fail? Vaccine passports will not be implemented? OR they will be implemented but they won't work on mobile devices? OR they will work on mobile devices but it will show incorrect information?

I mean if you want to have your 'I told you so' moment, you need to at least make some effort.

you will probably say all of above.

My guess would be the app being super buggy to the point of it being useless? Kind of like SAPO's tracking app.

surface

Honorary Master
My guess would be the app being super buggy to the point of it being useless? Kind of like SAPO's tracking app.
I very much doubt so tbh. It will have its share of hiccups (which IT system doesn't have it) but it will not be remotely buggy as SAPO tracking, one reason being that all app needs is a interface that exposes data that EVDS already has. In terms of stability, it should be closer (if not better) than e-filing.

p.s. Marking it in case this doesn't age well. LOL.

tetrasect

Expert Member
I very much doubt so tbh. It will have its share of hiccups (which IT system doesn't have it) but it will not be remotely buggy as SAPO tracking,

I also don't think they will mess up that badly since it is a covid thing and unlike SAPO they have plenty of funding.

one reason being that all app needs is a interface that exposes data that EVDS already has. In terms of stability, it should be closer (if not better) than e-filing.

p.s. Marking it in case this doesn't age well. LOL.

Isn't the SAPO tracking app exactly that as well? Just a database lookup?

surface

Honorary Master
Isn't the SAPO tracking app exactly that as well? Just a database lookup?
Well, everything is essentially a database lookup but with SAPO, I am fairly certain there is a institutionalized problem that even Mark couldn't address in his time. Also, I doubt if volumes of SAPO parcels can be compared to EVDS volumes.

With vaccine passport likely to be a travel requirement (international), it is not likely to be messed up. EVDS website has proved the concept reasonably well.