Digital Covid-19 vaccine passport for South Africa launching "in just over a week"

garp

Executive Member
You realise that there is already a vaccine passport. It's a yellow book you get that you show in a foreign country at arrivals.
This is just the digital version. Saves me having to dig that yellow book out to prove I have had yellow fever/typhoid vaccines for instance.
You realise that you have never needed that yellow book to keep your job, get healthcare, or enter a shopping mall or restaurant (which seems to be the direction that this is heading)? You might also appreciate that accessing the information on a piece of card cannot be digitally logged and tracked, and neither can the information it contains be arbitrarily changed or suspended.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
You realise that you have never needed that yellow book to keep your job, get healthcare, or enter a shopping mall or restaurant (which seems to be the direction that this is heading)? You might also appreciate that accessing the information on a piece of card cannot be digitally logged and tracked, and neither can the information it contains be arbitrarily changed or suspended.
So, my question is: What are you going to do? How are you going to push back on government? Railing about it in a public forum doesn't cut it.

nivek

Executive Member
I don't have a problem with this, I want to travel and it sounds like other countries aren't going to accept that little piece of paper we get when we get vaxxed

They're not going to use this to enter your local PNP, and if they do it'll be implemented and withdrawn within a week.
What if your battery is flat? What if your device doesn't support the app? What if you can't afford a phone?

Gyre

Expert Member
"They're going to invade my privacy!" Says Susan, wearing a bright yellow ANC shirt.

"They'll start persecuting me because of my religion if they know!" Says Mike, a Christian, with a golden cross the size of a brick around his neck

"What I get up to in my private life is nobody's business!" Says Wendy, with 5 crying and screaming kids following her into the store

"Nobody should have that kind of information on anyone." Says Peter Michaels, 38, Male, ID Number 342312112131313, living in Cape Town, as per his drivers license.

"It's not right for the public to have that access to my information" Says Bill Muhr, who has public Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linkdn accounts

Last edited:

hj007

Expert Member
Anyone been to Home Affairs in the last 5 years? I wouldn't worry too much about it here, the system is always down.