Digital migration

Franna

Expert Member
How will Eskom cope with the additional electricity load of 350 MW needed to power the new digital boxes.

(7 million * 50 watts = 350 MW)

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
How will Eskom cope with the additional electricity load of 350 MW needed to power the new digital boxes.

(7 million * 50 watts = 350 MW)

Easy, they will cope by awarding performance bonuses to all top level management. When in doubt, stick with what you know. ;)

GrootBaas

Expert Member
buy shares in these manufacturers now!

what is the pricetag on these digtal boxes?

TimTDP

Expert Member
I currently have DSTV and a HD TV. Will I need any additional hardware? e.g. receiver on my satellite dish

Bravoman

Gents (and Ladies),

maybe someone from SABC/Sentech/ICASA/DoC should issue a press release that busts all the myths surrounding the migration process and its implications. ALL the past articles on this topic has been extremely misleading and will result in confusion and ultimately resilience to the switchover. Does a representative from the authorities (above) follow these threads at all..?

mibloem

I currently have DSTV and a HD TV. Will I need any additional hardware? e.g. receiver on my satellite dish

Yes you will. No television on the market (even the latest HDTV's) have the required digital DVB-T tuners to recieve the new broadcasts. You will need to by at least the proposed R400 box to receive the November broadcasts.

Also note that depending on the frequencies used, you may need to change to a UHF antenna, since the existing VHF analogue channel will remain on the air until the planned 2011 switchoff. After that, the digital channels might be moved to VHF.

ingeon

Almost 7 million. Is that their estimate according to the number of televsion licenses... There`s probably 30 out of 40 million people with televisions alone :eek:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I won't be upgrading anytime soon. avi's are still fine thanks :)

Jacobl

And the licensing implication

To add to the mix, what about current SABC license holders, you have to pay this just because you own a TV set that is capable of receiving SABCrap, even though you may not watch any of it.

The way I see it, no digital box no SABC signal, therefore no license fee. Anyone please comment on this.

.Froot.

Executive Member
Easy, they will cope by awarding performance bonuses to all top level management. When in doubt, stick with what you know. ;)

I saw the size of the bonuses that they got... actually not nearly as big as "advertised on the front page"

kaaskop

Expert Member
To add to the mix, what about current SABC license holders, you have to pay this just because you own a TV set that is capable of receiving SABCrap, even though you may not watch any of it.

The way I see it, no digital box no SABC signal, therefore no license fee. Anyone please comment on this.

Don't think it will happen but on the negative side its gonna be much easier for them to block you when you don't pay since its digital....and stand at your front door, demanding payment or go straight to jail without collecting R200 if you pass the start. hehe

Turiko

Banned
Even so, they will use this digital means to enforce compliance in a way we've never seen before.

Deenem

Expert Member
Yes you will. No television on the market (even the latest HDTV's) have the required digital DVB-T tuners to recieve the new broadcasts. You will need to by at least the proposed R400 box to receive the November broadcasts.

Also note that depending on the frequencies used, you may need to change to a UHF antenna, since the existing VHF analogue channel will remain on the air until the planned 2011 switchoff. After that, the digital channels might be moved to VHF.

Crap, crap, crap.

If you have DTSV you already have DIGITAL (Satelllite) TeleVision.

You'll need a settop box to pickup the SABC digital signal, but why bother? You're already getting a Digital signal though your satelite receiver.

Tns

Executive Member
Crap, crap, crap.

If you have DTSV you already have DIGITAL (Satelllite) TeleVision.

You'll need a settop box to pickup the SABC digital signal, but why bother? You're already getting a Digital signal though your satelite receiver.

true but a lot of people don't have DSTV and they the ones needing that box.

zambussi

With Sentech involved, 2011 is a fantasy - you have a better chance of Poison Ivy not interfering in Telecoms than Sentech being ready anytime within my lifetime.