Digital music still second fiddle to CDs in South Africa

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Have you ever walked past a Musica lately? They look as empty as video rental stores.

psivius

Yup as empty as the recently closed down rental video store in Ottery Center.

zizo911

Executive Member
Yup as empty as the recently closed down rental video store in Ottery Center.

Did u see! I always wondered when they would be closing down. I was shocked when I saw on Friday they closed down.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
All the CD places in Pretoria East seem to have gone bye bye, but then again, we do have good wired and wireless broadband penetration and thus that supports the articles conclusions.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Even in poorer communities people are copying and sharing MP3's and video files despite not having access to high speed broadband. Broadband penetration has very little to do with it.

xumwun

Expert Member
A lot of music services not wanting our money doesn't help much either.

F

Fudzy

Broadband isn't the issue... Apps that let you download MP3s off YouTube moots that point completely.

whatwhat

Executive Member
Even at work the cleaning staff bring their USB sticks in every day to get series and movies from people.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Most Afrikaans music still only comes out on CD... That's probably the biggest reason.

What I don't like about purchasing music digital is that it is AAC 256kbps, compared to lossless at 1411kbps. I'm audiophile.

«««««Attention»»»»»
http://stephenwittbooks.com/books/how-music-got-free-hc
www.tidal.com

Youtube...

Only good for music videos and hit singles. If you want to listen to new full albums then no go. Full of spam and slowed down speed albums to avoid copyright infringement.

Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
What I don't like about purchasing music digital is that it is AAC 256kbps, compared to lossless at 1411kbps. I'm audiophile.

«««««Attention»»»»»
http://stephenwittbooks.com/books/how-music-got-free-hc

Deezer streams at 320kbps. Digitally Imported also streams at 320kbps. And you can buy FLAC albums on hdtracks.com that are usually better quality than CD's.

Broadband isn't the issue... Apps that let you download MP3s off YouTube moots that point completely.

Oh my god the quality.

Most Afrikaans music still only comes out on CD... That's probably the biggest reason.

www.tidal.com

Only good for music videos and hit singles. If you want to listen to new full albums then no go. Full of spam and slowed down speed albums to avoid copyright infringement.

I use Simfy and it has a massive selection of South African music. I imagine Deezer is much the same.

markings

Expert Member
I come across this line dance which looks nice. I am prepared to buy the music track. I can only get it as part of an album which costs nearly 18GBP.
I decide to forget about it. No sale.

Instead of moaning about piracy etc. the music industry just has to get their act together.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Even in poorer communities people are copying and sharing MP3's and video files despite not having access to high speed broadband. Broadband penetration has very little to do with it.

Indeed. Quote (below) from story is complete rubbish. Music files are small enough not to matter.

Digital sales in South Africa remain low because of the country’s poor broadband penetration...

Instead of moaning about piracy etc. the music industry just has to get their act together.

This.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
This is a BS article, you know why?
I am trying to sell all the CDs I have amassed over the years.
Guess what... no takers.
I am told they would rather just download or use YouTube.

also, CD shops are going bang. Musica has had to re-think its strategy in a big way