CeeBee

Expert Member
government's estimating ability and planning capability is clearly up to s h!t, as usual with most government initiatives.
perhaps some minister's boet or uncle or loser buddy given the job again irrespective of his abilities.
still... even at R50 a pop, its gonna cost us tax payers a crapload of money to subsidise all the people who are 'unable' to afford one, so they can sit on their azz allday and watch tv for free, while we have to cough up yet again :)
They should rethink this thing again, and do proper planning on all the money they want to spend everywhere, perhaps use some of that useless marketing expense to bring the cost down some more.

Nod

Executive Member
R400 is more acceptable, but would you be able to use your TV's build-in DVB-T tuner, or are they still going ahead with the encryption idea?

LCBXX

Honorary Master
R400 is more acceptable, but would you be able to use your TV's build-in DVB-T tuner, or are they still going ahead with the encryption idea?
I've asked many people in the know about this and apparently you will not be able to, at least when the system is launched initially.

I still want to see how the SABC reacts when the uptake is low. They seem to forget that the majority of analogue viewers do not have a TV licence and cannot afford R400 (even subsidised) plus R26 a month (if the fee remains as-is), not forgetting the hordes of DStv/TopTV subscribers whose licence fees they'll lose.

smarterthinking

If they plan on providing the same SABC crap and its just an analog to digital upgrade on their side... It's definitely not worth R1.. So all our poor rural areas, which most folk only have an SD TV will need to buy a Set top box at R700 to view rubbish.. Dynamics in Africa are different to europe, has anyone at the top figured this out yet...lol

Beri

Expert Member
and how long will it take to install this. It is going to be a major F-up

Nod

Executive Member
I've asked many people in the know about this and apparently you will not be able to, at least when the system is launched initially.

Good :) Then they can't ask me to pay for a TV-License as my TV can not receive their signal. I will just continue to make use of online content as I do now.

Sapphiron

Expert Member
I still think they need to kill off terrestrial signal entirely and go with free to air sat channels.

smarterthinking

I still want to see how the SABC reacts when the uptake is low. They seem to forget that the majority of analogue viewers do not have a TV licence and cannot afford R400 (even subsidised) plus R26 a month (if the fee remains as-is), not forgetting the hordes of DStv/TopTV subscribers whose licence fees they'll lose.

Soon you will see a new service on the market. IPTV, so you are right SABC haven't actually thought this through. I am currently a beta test user for a company called infoview.tv.. This beta test service I am receiving leaves all other services in SA in the Shadows... 70 full hd channels. 183 channels total, VOD service.. and all content I am watching is from US, UK, Asia and europe..

How could SABC possibly compete? I understand that the IPTV service is targeted at the top end of the market...but like you rightly say most SABC viewer in rural areas do not pay for TV licenses... This may be the demise of SABC we are watching unfold..

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
South Africans will be paying far less for a DTT set-top box than the anticipated R700, the DoC said
Not if we look at how much tax payers money was wasted on it.

Down with terrestrial TV! We've been having satellite for years now.

dadecoza

Expert Member

There are a few people on this forum that is already able to watch dtt. I think the bigger question is if your TV supports DVB-T2.

Tns

Executive Member
Good :) Then they can't ask me to pay for a TV-License as my TV can not receive their signal. I will just continue to make use of online content as I do now.

aa but you still own a device cable of receiving a broadcast.

Beam

Just another e-toll saga, where some elites score a few billions worth of tenders and then when it all falls apart at the seams the taxpayer just covers the bill yet again. Come on, haven't we seen this enough times to stop just sitting back and allowing it to happen at this point? When is enough enough?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
If they plan on providing the same SABC crap and its just an analog to digital upgrade on their side... It's definitely not worth R1.. So all our poor rural areas, which most folk only have an SD TV will need to buy a Set top box at R700 to view rubbish.. Dynamics in Africa are different to europe, has anyone at the top figured this out yet...lol

11 channels

I watch plenty stuff on SABC... you need to know when its on though.

Nod

Executive Member
aa but you still own a device cable of receiving a broadcast.

But not an unencrypted one. My TV also do not receive analog signals. If they can show me how I can watch Isidingo with my standard TV set, then I will pay, maybe.

bavmorda

Soon you will see a new service on the market. IPTV, so you are right SABC haven't actually thought this through. I am currently a beta test user for a company called infoview.tv.. This beta test service I am receiving leaves all other services in SA in the Shadows... 70 full hd channels. 183 channels total, VOD service.. and all content I am watching is from US, UK, Asia and europe..

How could SABC possibly compete? I understand that the IPTV service is targeted at the top end of the market...but like you rightly say most SABC viewer in rural areas do not pay for TV licenses... This may be the demise of SABC we are watching unfold..

I'm paying 8 euro a month with the set top box included to watch 40+ bulgarian channels. SABC and DSTV can go and suck it. O yes, and i don't care about the poor rural areas so not paying TV license as well. I had enough of supporting the poor and stupid.
To smarterthinking, when can we expect a service like this BTW?

smarterthinking

I'm paying 8 euro a month with the set top box included to watch 40+ bulgarian channels. SABC and DSTV can go and suck it. O yes, and i don't care about the poor rural areas so not paying TV license as well. I had enough of supporting the poor and stupid.
To smarterthinking, when can we expect a service like this BTW?

I feel the same...lol
I am currently using the system or set top box, called my wife about 10 minutes ago and the family are watching the VOD service as we speak.

The company that I am beta testing for are due to release to the public closer to December. I have been using this system for around 2 months now and honestly will not be able to live without it once beta testing is over...