Director General of the Dept of Comm on LLU

ebis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
360
Hi all,

I put this thread in the "News Discussion" because I got the info from a credible source, namely: an interview between the Director General herself and Morning Live this morning.

I'm a Morning Live fan (the SABC2 news show between 6-8am each weekday) and luckily, I managed to catch one of the presenters (Vuyo) interviewing the Director General of the Dept of Communications (Ms Lyndall Shope-Mafole) this morning.

The topic was on the conference that will soon be held by the President's International Advisory Council on Information Society and Development. I'm sure most of you guys know what this council is all about, so I'm not gonna bore you on the details. Anyway, Vuyo asked the Mafole several questions and I was intrigued by some of the answers she gave.

First of all, Vuyo asked if the DoC has achieved much in ensuring that Telephony and broadband prices in SA are becoming affordable. This was one of the key suggestions that the Advisory Council gave to Pres Mbeki last year. I was impressed by Mafole's answer, only because she was at least being honest. She bluntly put it across that the DoC hasn't really done much in this arena and that this remains a key issue that needs to be addressed. I was just glad that the DoC didn't lie by saying that telephony and broadband prices are becoming affordable. Cause, as we all know, they're not.

The second (and more interesting) question asked was what the DoC will be doing to meet the above-mentioned suggestion put across by the Advisory Council last year. Mafole stated that one of the areas that the DoC was really looking into was Local Loop Unbundling (LLU). She then stated that the minister will soon be announcing "policy directives" on LLU. This would probably be done in the next colloquium to be hosted by the DoC.

I'm going to be optimistic and hope that the "policy directives" will mean that the local loop will be unbundled. I'm not sure whether this local loop would be opened up to all VANS operators or just SNO, but the thought of it NOT being solely owned by Telkom is a good one.

What do you guys think??? Any hope in hell that Poison Ivy will actually allow this to happen???
 
Last edited:

munwaal

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
586
Personally, I know better than to get optimistic. That being said, the first step in resolving a problem is always to acknowlege that there IS, in fact, a problem. As you said, at least she didn't say that services were becoming more affordable.

Personally, I don't see LLU becoming a reality for VANS for a very long time. It does make sense for the SNO, though.
 

rsd

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2005
Messages
898
Oooooh thanks for the news update!

That sounds pretty awesome. With any luck they won't wake Ivy up - Pete the plank can just sign any relevant documentation on her behalf ;)

Chances are Pete has a better grasp of the ICT sector anyway.

I think LLU could very well happen. That coupled with declaring sat-3/safe an essential service would make the SA telecoms environment veeeery interesting.
 

mccrack

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
2,485
My bet it's to cater solely for the SNO.

Unbundling it completely would mean the SNO would have to compete with other VANS from inception.
 

stoke

Honorary Master
Joined
Aug 7, 2003
Messages
10,532
Interesting - wonder why she chose that forum to make it public ? Wierd.
But - yup - it will happen - promises were made, the SNO has to work, this is a necessary step for the SNO to work, and definately, only for the SNO's use, otherwise, no third network operator will be drawn in.
 

lewstherin

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2004
Messages
968
As always - especially when discussing comments made by government officials:

IBIWISI
 

mccrack

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
2,485
Very similiar then to WYSIWUG.

What you see is what you get ;)

Too many acronyms in the world .... they are called acronyms right ?
 

ebis

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
360
It's a wait-and-see game, there's pretty much nothing else we can do.

With Poison Ivy at the helm, one can only be sure of one result: UNCERTAINTY.
 

mbs

Expert Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Messages
2,246
... corridor-speak confirms it'll happen, though details remain locked up tighter than access to Telkrap's contention ratios...
 

mccrack

Expert Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Messages
2,485
ssssh ..... you cannot say 'contention ratio' , that's telkom's intellectual property ;)
 

MrSmith

Senior Member
Joined
May 10, 2005
Messages
837
BTW Morning Live will apparently be broadcasting live from the conference on the President's International Advisory Council on Information Society and Development tomorrow morning for those that are interested.
 

mbs

Expert Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2003
Messages
2,246
Can't be, surely? Methinx that show's only on weekdays...
 

cobuss

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
103
With reference to the original post. I'm cautiously optimistic :) .
 

Moederloos

Honorary Master
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
12,476
Too many acronyms in the world .... they are called acronyms right ?

Actually they are called TLA's or MLA's * :D



* (Three letter acronyms and multi-letter acronyms)
 

LooneyBandit

New Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
7
I think Telkom's scared thet someone really sees how much markup they are putting on the broadband and therefore do not want to release contention ratios etc. I agree that the first step to solving this and any problems is first and foremost owning up to the fact that there IS a problem :)
 
Top