The Darkness

Expert Member
FNB is also the ONLY bank that doesnt have an app/online function to notify the bank when traveling abroad. So one STILL has to phone the bank, go through security questions, and waste their time giving itinerary information. Truly, FNB are so far behind in what customers want and need. Tap to pay should be optional - period. I dont like the idea of someone stealing my wallet and then just being able to make transactions.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
FNB is also the ONLY bank that doesnt have an app/online function to notify the bank when traveling abroad. So one STILL has to phone the bank, go through security questions, and waste their time giving itinerary information. Truly, FNB are so far behind in what customers want and need. Tap to pay should be optional - period. I dont like the idea of someone stealing my wallet and then just being able to make transactions.

You just message them on the app.

Takes all of two minutes.

And even when you don’t pretty much nothing happens anyway.

Tman*

Expert Member
I think Capitec will be better for your needs

supersunbird

Honorary Master

One can disable the card on app?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
“All FNB cards are contactless-enabled, and the function can’t be disabled as it is a core feature of the product,” he said.
Lol yet Capitec allows you to do it. You're a lying liar who lies.

Insint

Expert Member
Lol yet Capitec allows you to do it. You're a lying liar who lies.

I think he is referring to their business model and not to the technology.
They do not see a need to disable it.

I also do not see a problem and as they stated payments above R500 will require a pin.
Don't like it then move to another bank.
It's a very easy solution and the reason why competition exists.

Nuro

Expert Member
Tap to pay should be optional - period. I dont like the idea of someone stealing my wallet and then just being able to make transactions.
If your wallet is stolen they can still transact online with your card. It's actually worse, because they can spend quite a bit of cash in big transactions, where with tap and pay you get asked for a pin over a certain amount.
This happened to a friend of mine - the transactions were done on non-local sites with fake info, so the investigation didn't get anywhere. International sites don't have the 2 factor approval process for online transactions that local sites have.
Some criminals are quite sophisticated :(

Gravedigger

Expert Member
Way to disable the tap to pay? Works for every bank card:
Make a cut on the bottom of the card, 3cm incision, so that you cut the wireless coil going around the card. Tap to pay disabled...

Do not try this at home, unless you know what you are doing.

OhYeah84

Expert Member
Not sure why someone would want to disable it but FNB could just issue a non tap-to-pay card.
Card gets stolen...useless thief realises your card has tap-and-go enabled and he knows of a store that doesn't also require the use of a pin (like Checkers does with a Standard Bank card for instance).

The rest of your money, as they say in the movies, is history...

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Card gets stolen...useless thief realises your card has tap-and-go enabled and he knows of a store that doesn't also require the use of a pin (like Checkers does with a Standard Bank card for instance).

The rest of your money, as they say in the movies, is history...

You do realise it's not you that carries the money risk, it's the merchant or bank? You'll just have to report card stolen, log log a dispute and you get your money back

cyb3rt

lol my girlfriend and I were actually talking about exactly this over the past weekend as she wanted to disable the feature (on FNB) and I also wanted to know why.

So her argument was that everyone knows about the R500 pin-less limit, so under the right circumstances unknowingly losing your card and for some odd reason also not having your phone handy for an extended period to see SMS's, a criminal could just swipe sub 500 amounts till some daily limit is reached

RudderVator

Expert Member
That is a fact.

With Nedbank/Absa simply put your dates of travel in and wont have any issues with fraud alerts and your card being blocked while abroad.

Can even select to block specific transactions on a card. Eg. No online purchases
4B3DE8DA-3E97-4C8F-A09F-D08F23B93B19.jpeg B7131F40-E49F-4788-A725-730EC27E1EF9.jpeg

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Not sure why someone would want to disable it but FNB could just issue a non tap-to-pay card.
In 2019, it was all the rage to disable tap-to-pay because of some Aussie video showing how easy it is "steal" people's money using a PED & the tap-to-pay capability.

Don't tell me you forgot?