Disappearing airtime is still real – and we have proof

Swa

Honorary Master
I agree with MTN on this. Wasp have dirty tricks. Each time there are rules to wasps work on ways to bypass it.

As I mentioned in the other thread you don't need to click on any sms link to double opt in. The wasp sends a sms to your smartphone and depending on your messaging apps default setting the "load preview" option might be enabled by default so as soon as you open the sms the app loads the preview from the link in the sms and subscribes you without you even knowing.

To prevent this you need to revoke internet access permission in the app settings and disable load we previews in the messaging app.

For MTN customers you also need to disable the Premium Rate Services in the ussd menu then you are sorted.
The networks are entirely to blame. They must ensure there are no exploits and have a number to sms for opting in. It's amazing how there can be such lax security and no regulation for something that's essentially a bank account.

system32

Expert Member
I agree with MTN on this. Wasp have dirty tricks. Each time there are rules to wasps work on ways to bypass it.

As I mentioned in the other thread you don't need to click on any sms link to double opt in. The wasp sends a sms to your smartphone and depending on your messaging apps default setting the "load preview" option might be enabled by default so as soon as you open the sms the app loads the preview from the link in the sms and subscribes you without you even knowing.

To prevent this you need to revoke internet access permission in the app settings and disable load we previews in the messaging app.

For MTN customers you also need to disable the Premium Rate Services in the ussd menu then you are sorted.
I don't agree with MTN or you on this.
Fantasy League's full name is "MTN Fantasy League".
They failed to mention the full name in the article, it comes up on the USSD.
"MTN Fantasy League" is an internal service of MTN - they are the WASP.
This is deliberate fraud by MTN.

InternetLuddite

Expert Member
Still, your comment does not explain why the USSD menu showed no subscription? Even if the number was recycled, the subscription should show. It is a massive fail from MTN.
That's my point about the myBB journos being toothless. They accepted it but never explained their reason for accepting it. Which tells me , myBB used a old SIM (not recycled)

MTN should by default block all wasps - since they don't have the stomach for it, they should have proceedures to reset / dear all linkef services and then reprovision the number.

ekske1

Executive Member
I really do think the MYBB journalists are toothless and maybe paid hacks to these companies. So they just accepted MTNs answer ? If they were all new sims in 4 identical phones , how it is that only the MTN sim got hijacked.

Why the fsck haven't they investigated what went wrong on that MTN Nokia 5 ? I need to just stop reading their articles. Most of them are pointless.
Paid by whom? Vodacom? CellC?

Gimli

I saw my airtime was depleted and then I noticed R2.02 subtracted from my airtime every morning for the past month. I don't know how long this has been going on, I can only see history of a month. So I phoned 135 yesterday and they said I subscribed to something, but wouldn't tell me what the service was, but said he would cancel it. So today it went off again. I phoned again and the agent informed me I was subscribed to Yello.tv (this is a MTN service) and that she would cancel it. Subsequently I got an SMS to confirm the subscription was stopped.

Funny thing is, I now shouldn't load airtime for 24 hours otherwise I would be subscribed again, according to her. Secondly it is an MTN service for which I did not subscribe. Thirdly, they are not prepared to credit my account for all the fraudulent deductions.

This is a MTN scam and they are complicit in defrauding their customers in this way. They should be taken to task on this.

Swa

Honorary Master
Have to find a way to fund those Nigerians.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I saw my airtime was depleted and then I noticed R2.02 subtracted from my airtime every morning for the past month. I don't know how long this has been going on, I can only see history of a month. So I phoned 135 yesterday and they said I subscribed to something, but wouldn't tell me what the service was, but said he would cancel it. So today it went off again. I phoned again and the agent informed me I was subscribed to Yello.tv (this is a MTN service) and that she would cancel it. Subsequently I got an SMS to confirm the subscription was stopped.

Funny thing is, I now shouldn't load airtime for 24 hours otherwise I would be subscribed again, according to her. Secondly it is an MTN service for which I did not subscribe. Thirdly, they are not prepared to credit my account for all the fraudulent deductions.

This is a MTN scam and they are complicit in defrauding their customers in this way. They should be taken to task on this.
Lay a charge of fraud/theft against MTN then...

The only way things will change if people start forcing consequences onto MTN for this behaviour.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
I got a notification sms from vodacom the other that my data bundle has been depleted whilst I had been on my home wifi the whole day. It wasn't expired either.

Didn't really take enough notice of it to make an investigation, but I agree that it is still happening.