Discord gets South African servers

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
Discord gets South African servers

Voice and text chat service Discord recently launched a server region in South Africa.

Discord is a free service aimed at gamers that lets you create virtual “servers” in which you can host several voice and text chat channels.

beans100

Honorary Master
Steam also has voice now, wonder if they will be competitive enough?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Steam also has voice now, wonder if they will be competitive enough?

Steam has voice, but it was limited in management and integration, Steam Voice Chat (Discord's competitior) is still in beta. Teamspeak is still 'more' private and have ownership.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
NetBeez states that at latencies of around 100 milliseconds (ms), voice chat participants start talking over each other.

This was previously evident in channels on Discord.

To be honest, I have never experienced this in Discord... not even through VPN. However, when local issues arise it was evident, but then again everything goes haywire then.

Discord is still too resource hungry, and I think the developers (or owners) wants to overburden the app too much.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
To be honest, I have never experienced this in Discord... not even through VPN. However, when local issues arise it was evident, but then again everything goes haywire then.

Discord is still too resource hungry, and I think the developers (or owners) wants to overburden the app too much.

I struggle to think in what case a gaming pc won't have the resources to run discord?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I struggle to think in what case a gaming pc won't have the resources to run discord?
Nothing should be too heavy. Skype and Chrome being good examples. Once you start to pump Discord with third-party integrations, Overwolf amongst others in any game where a drop in sudden performance is critical it is immediately noticeable. It may just be poor integration, but it is the little things that throw you off.

Strictly speaking Discord is still beta, but also announced a partnership with Microsoft recently for cross integration purposes.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Nothing should be too heavy. Skype and Chrome being good examples. Once you start to pump Discord with third-party integrations, Overwolf amongst others in any game where a drop in sudden performance is critical it is immediately noticeable. It may just be poor integration, but it is the little things that throw you off.

Strictly speaking Discord is still beta, but also announced a partnership with Microsoft recently for cross integration purposes.

Fair enough. I use discord only for chat, and don't stream or anything of the like. So, I've never had reason to notice this. Sucks if that is the case though.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Fair enough. I use discord only for chat, and don't stream or anything of the like. So, I've never had reason to notice this. Sucks if that is the case though.
It also doesn't mean that Steam Chat will do it any better in the initial phases, but they have the advantage of developers integrating more directly into the platform through Steam's APIs.

I have a idea that the majority of gaming organisations will still stay with the tried and trusted Teamspeak for ownership reasons. I don't like the many other voice for gaming platforms, a decently further developed Mumble is still nice.

Draken

I recently did some testing, and funny enough , Discord uses the least amount of CPU cycles when in a basic call with someone, when compared to Mumble and Teamspeak.

Didnt test Steam Voice because it doesnt have SA relays yet.