Discovery Bank [2018]

twr

Expert Member
Is it safe to assume that spend bands are still not considered In deciding money status still . Also actual fuel spend is not considered for fuel cash back rather the avg DQ points for the calculations
As far as the fuel spend, last month I got paid max of my average fuel spend even though I barely put fuel even though they said that was only applicable for April, so not sure if they are doing it again this month

ab12312390

Is it safe to assume that spend bands are still not considered In deciding money status still . Also actual fuel spend is not considered for fuel cash back rather the avg DQ points for the calculations
They had indicated that the spend bands will remain intact at the level pre-lockdown. Mine has not changed so will wait to see tomorrow. Ditto with fuel spend they fixed it at the average of the previous x (3 I think) months before lockdown. You still have to consider the current DQ points in calculating the fuel spend allocated though.

citizensa

They had indicated that the spend bands will remain intact at the level pre-lockdown. Mine has not changed so will wait to see tomorrow. Ditto with fuel spend they fixed it at the average of the previous x (3 I think) months before lockdown. You still have to consider the current DQ points in calculating the fuel spend allocated though.
I see that they considered spend band for last month and my cash back percentages dropped for picknpay by 30% and others by 5% . So much for Discovery and their poor communication no one knows what’s gonna happen including those work there.

twr

Expert Member
I see that they considered spend band for last month and my cash back percentages dropped for picknpay by 30% and others by 5% . So much for Discovery and their poor communication no one knows what’s gonna happen including those work there.
Yip and some.ppl I know remained at their max at 75% like last month

maumau

Honorary Master
@morkhans @ros_b I was forced to migrate my card from FNB to Discovery in order to reclaim my missing Discovery miles. Agent "couldn't understand how the miles went missing", but Google shows so many people complained about it 702 had a programme featuring missing miles. I'm using the miles but in the meantime have managed to get a Capitec credit card and am working towards cancelling Discovery. Sick of having to make 30 minute phone calls at my expense :mad:

Reactions: air

Koosvanwyk

The cash back %'s are almost always all over the place on the first one or two days of each month, wait a while for it to settle.
It is not really possible for them to determine the spend band of the previous month this early as some transaction (transacted on, by example, on the 29th or 30th) still needs to clear.

twr

Expert Member
The cash back %'s are almost always all over the place on the first one or two days of each month, wait a while for it to settle.
It is not really possible for them to determine the spend band of the previous month this early as some transaction (transacted on, by example, on the 29th or 30th) still needs to clear.
Agree to wait a day or two, but there should not be a need to calculate any spend Band as those fell away during lock down period,
So it's based in your card type and money status which should just tick over from last month

But yes will wait

twr

Expert Member
Agree to wait a day or two, but there should not be a need to calculate any spend Band as those fell away during lock down period,
So it's based in your card type and money status which should just tick over from last month

But yes will wait
So I phoned vitality and bank rewards, vitality confirms double rewards apply till end of July but only from the vitality side,the reason they say my % dropped is because the bank rewards ended its double rewards at end of June and the extra % is now calculated how it was pre lockdown (monthly spend band, suite )

citizensa

So I phoned vitality and bank rewards, vitality confirms double rewards apply till end of July but only from the vitality side,the reason they say my % dropped is because the bank rewards ended its double rewards at end of June and the extra % is now calculated how it was pre lockdown (monthly spend band, suite )
This is what irritates me the most about Discovery they have no communication and always hides behind ambiguous terms and conditions which no one knows for sure

ros_b

@morkhans @ros_b I was forced to migrate my card from FNB to Discovery in order to reclaim my missing Discovery miles. Agent "couldn't understand how the miles went missing", but Google shows so many people complained about it 702 had a programme featuring missing miles. I'm using the miles but in the meantime have managed to get a Capitec credit card and am working towards cancelling Discovery. Sick of having to make 30 minute phone calls at my expense :mad:
I hear that Virgin Money's CC is free, ie no monthly fee. As soon as my legacy Discovery card expires, I'm going to buy vouchers with all my Miles and then move to Virgin. Without the miles multiplier, I don't see how I can spend enough to make Discovery Bank worthwhile.

beefymoocow

Expert Member
I hear that Virgin Money's CC is free, ie no monthly fee. As soon as my legacy Discovery card expires, I'm going to buy vouchers with all my Miles and then move to Virgin. Without the miles multiplier, I don't see how I can spend enough to make Discovery Bank worthwhile.
Hmmm. I’ll buy your miles from you :)

maumau

Honorary Master
Vouchers are a great idea, I didn't think of that.

callen

Virgin money CC is free, there is no monthly fees on it.

ab12312390

They will transfer your card before it expires - unless you have asked for the card to be cancelled.

ros_b

They will transfer your card before it expires - unless you have asked for the card to be cancelled.
Thanks for the heads up on that.... I'll make a note in my calendar two months before expiry to call them and inform them not to transfer it.

ab12312390

Thanks for the heads up on that.... I'll make a note in my calendar two months before expiry to call them and inform them not to transfer it.
Also check the regulatory grace period they were given to have the FNB-issued card running. I think it was 2 years, so the time might be before the expiry of your current card.

ros_b

Also check the regulatory grace period they were given to have the FNB-issued card running. I think it was 2 years, so the time might be before the expiry of your current card.
Blimey, how do I check that? I don't trust any consultant to understand the question if I were to ask them!