Discovery Bank [2018]

jambai

Has anyone done the comparison in terms of features vs fees of the old Discovery platinum credit card versus the new batch of Black, Platinum and Gold Discovery Bank cards?

I don't want to switch and then find out that I'm paying a lot more per month for less. In theory, the Black (at almost double the monthly cost) is much better and worth it. Is that a fair comment?

Would appreciate a kind soul that has already done this research sharing... Thanks in advance.
I don’t think the info is available or discovery are very stingy with it and the info is all over the place and vague . I mean what’s the story with iPhones and lounges

walterl

Expert Member
What happens to my current Discovery Credit Card if I decide not to join the new bank?

Sphinx21

I don’t think the info is available or discovery are very stingy with it and the info is all over the place and vague . I mean what’s the story with iPhones and lounges
I also want to know about the iPhones, but as for lounges, I read somewhere that Black Card gets 6 LoungePass visits per year for international lounges.

At the very least they do advertise it as visa signature, with all those associated benefits. I haven't seen that done in SA before.

It is a bit annoying to have to figure everything out, rather than to have it published somewhere central. e.g. It looks like the international flight discount applies to just a single flight, but also isn't correctly calculating in the Kulula booking interface anyway (see below). My app shows a 50% discount on flights, but this is what I end up with. I suspect there will be some teething problems for some time still.Screenshot 2019-08-08 at 23.35.10.png

Sphinx21

I also want to know about the iPhones, but as for lounges, I read somewhere that Black Card gets 6 LoungePass visits per year for international lounges.

At the very least they do advertise it as visa signature, with all those associated benefits. I haven't seen that done in SA before.

It is a bit annoying to have to figure everything out, rather than to have it published somewhere central. e.g. It looks like the international flight discount applies to just a single flight, but also isn't correctly calculating in the Kulula booking interface anyway (see below). My app shows a 50% discount on flights, but this is what I end up with. I suspect there will be some teething problems for some time still.View attachment 696215
Small update, it appears despite the above picture that a 50% discount is being calculated.

adielk

Expert Member
It states (Up to 75% off local flights and up to 50% off international flights)

I only see 35% in my app? Not even the 40% on local flights I heard about?

How do the dynamic rewards work? Meaning what gets the max. On silver for health drive and money but will be health gold as 9 300 points away and gold for drive as I am 50 points away and will do the driving course. Money dunno as I am still awaiting actual card and need to complete uploads for savings.

adielk

Expert Member
The app looping for the last few days.

Still waiting on card. Wife received hers but app looping on her phone as well.

Edit See below

Last edited:

twr

Small update, it appears despite the above picture that a 50% discount is being calculated.
So you only get one booking for the 50%
I'm on disc platinum and get zero lounge visits,I'm thinking to move to FNB open up a cheap platinum cheque ACC which entitles me to get a global account (only like 20$ for the annual card) and gives 10 international lounge visits with lounge key,
I'm very disappointed with discovery, who knows when the disc miles will be out as I'm not earning anything,my spend band is low and don't really get extra off and paying the R30 vitality money monthly fee

citizensa

Update on Discovery dynamic discounts! This is what I understood from my conversation with them
Dynamic discounts are tiered based on the following
Account type: Gold , Silver , Black card etc
Then your Current Money Status
Blue, Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond etc
Then your spend Band
Band 0: low spend may be below 12500(I am not sure )
Band1: Between 12500-17500
Band 2: Between 17500-25000
Band 3: Between 25000-40000
Band 4: Above 40000
So if you wanna get most dynamic discounts you should have Black card on Diamond status with spend band above 40000
As far I see the most weight goes for spend band it doesn’t help much even if you have a Black card with Diamond status but very low spend. Only way to higher discounts is higher monthly spend

Tag11

Update on Discovery dynamic discounts! This is what I understood from my conversation with them
Then your spend Band
So if you wanna get most dynamic discounts you should have Black card on Diamond status with spend band above 40000
As far I see the most weight goes for spend band it doesn’t help much even if you have a Black card with Diamond status but very low spend. Only way to higher discounts is higher monthly spend
Is the reference to Diamond status your Vitality status, or a new metric that is unique/specific to the banking side?

twr

Then your spend Band
Black card is salary dependent I think over R750k per year

But yes even having the best card or higher money status like diamond means very little if your below spend band. This is why I'm loosing interest

Sphinx21

Never mind the spend thresholds. What I want to know is what we'll get for the spend itself, in place of discovery miles. No point in redirecting all my cc spend over to this card, on the promise of something coming later in the year. What is it? What will be the earn rate and conditions? What will it be worth at redemption?

I may have been naive to to have thought that this would already be in place when I made the switch, but what is the plan to make up for the current gap on folks' current spend?

Sphinx21

Also, kudos for the money status updating and reflecting within a day, but since it's dynamic, how are cash back benefits counted? Status on the day of spend? Status maintained throughout the month? Status on the last day of the month?

citizensa

Never mind the spend thresholds. What I want to know is what we'll get for the spend itself, in place of discovery miles. No point in redirecting all my cc spend over to this card, on the promise of something coming later in the year. What is it? What will be the earn rate and conditions? What will it be worth at redemption?

I may have been naive to to have thought that this would already be in place when I made the switch, but what is the plan to make up for the current gap on folks' current spend?
Discovery miles is not coming back as far as I understand but they are gonna introduce e money or something like it later
For now your benefit will be cash back on healthy food, healthy care, healthy gear which can be up to 50-75% and discounted airline bookings etc

jambai

It is a bit annoying to have to figure everything out, rather than to have it published somewhere central. e.g. It looks like the international flight discount applies to just a single flight, but also isn't correctly calculating in the Kulula booking interface anyway (see below). My app shows a 50% discount on flights, but this is what I end up with. I suspect there will be some teething problems for some time still.View attachment 696215
FNB global account gives you visa signature with lounge access for 20 usd per year just need a FNB Cheque account

jambai

Then your spend Band
Mark my words . Discovery banking is expensive and not bang for buck and not really that amazing as will have loads of bugs .They had a niche with vitality but it is not the same in banking . If you spending 40k a month on a credit card there are currently better options in the market

twr

Since joining i've been on silver money status so I then went and uploaded all the required documents over a week to show I have savings with other institutions, I'm still sitting on silver money status , has anyone who has done this and was moved up a status know how long it took?