Discovery Bank [2018]

Dubai

I still have not received a response from the signup till to date
I have completed the sign up section maybe 4 times already in the last 2 months

Last edited:

Jehosefat

Expert Member
All CCs though, an overdraft should be lower if I’m not mistaken.
Overdrafts are also classified as "revolving credit" and, as far as I have seen, have a very similar risk profile to credit cards. So I'd guess the rates would be about the same unless they are trying to incentivise you to use one rather than the other.

Sphinx21

I still have not received a response from the signup till to date
I have completed the sign up section maybe 4 times already in the last 2 months
Same. On the app and the website a bunch of times.
Right now that's looking like a blessing in disguise folks. On the inside it's still plenty of confusion and teething issues. Wish I had waited for things to settle down.

twr

Right now that's looking like a blessing in disguise folks. On the inside it's still plenty of confusion and teething issues. Wish I had waited for things to settle down.
I agree as well, wish I never signed up so quickly, main thing being is than I earned 0 miles last month and will only start earning when their new miles starts next month which will probably be delayed

llewellynr

Any idea what sort of behaviour the "Responsible Spending" money goal is meant to encourage? It looks like a logarithmic scale, i.e. if you spend less more frequently you accumulate points faster than if you spend on big ticket items. I feel like that encourages more frivolous spend. Or weird irrational behaviour (instead of buying my weekly groceries for 2pts, i can loop back through the till 10x over buying 1 box of cereal at a time for 10pts). I feel like the actual goal is to make you swipe more often, which in turn generates better swipe transaction fee revenue (or similar). There's always an ulterior motive to benefit one of Discovery's partners.

L-Dog

Does anyone have an idea of the free travel insurance they offer when purchasing flights using the credit card ? Need to compare this vs my standard bank card

Snyper564

Expert Member
Does anyone have an idea of the free travel insurance they offer when purchasing flights using the credit card ? Need to compare this vs my standard bank card
Its likely the same all places offer via TIC so likely the same as the one you would have.

jun_tao

Did this exercise a few months ago. The travel insurance from the card only covers none medical claims. To be covered medically you'll need their medical aid as well.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Made a test transaction into my Vitality Savings Account from FNB last night at around 7:30PM. Hasn't come in yet. How long does it typically take and what are the cut off times for Discovery Bank?
It's Bankserv and I believe the cut off time is around about 17:00 for it to reflect the next day. But is stand to be corrected.

ECHLN

It's Bankserv and I believe the cut off time is around about 17:00 for it to reflect the next day. But is stand to be corrected.
It still hasn't reflected into my account. Maybe its because my card isn't delivered and activated yet? Which would be very odd.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
It still hasn't reflected into my account. Maybe its because my card isn't delivered and activated yet? Which would be very odd.
If made the payment last night after the cut off time it will count as being part of today's transactions which means you should see it tomorrow morning

Tag11

Did Anyone’s dynamic discount change. My potential discount of 50% changed to 75% for international flights. I’m more confuse. At first I thought it was 75% then saw somewhere it’s only 50% now it’s saying i could get 75% off. They ain’t lying about the dynamic discount bit. It’s always changing.
But can you only buy 1 international flight? Or (like Discovery's Platinum card and Vitality) can I buy 2 tickets each per year for myself and all members of my family?

Tag11

Not international lounges. E.g. Nedbank platinum it's only bidvest lounges at OR Tambo. Exit our border and no access.
My Nedbank account gives me Priority Pass membership - there is a lounge (sometimes 2 or more) at just about every single international airport I've been to. 100% free as part of the offering. Bidvest for local lounges, but those are the most disappointing.

Daruk

Honorary Master
My Nedbank account gives me Priority Pass membership - there is a lounge (sometimes 2 or more) at just about every single international airport I've been to. 100% free as part of the offering. Bidvest for local lounges, but those are the most disappointing.
OK, you've piqued my interest. Which account do you have? Which lounges do you use outside of SA?

Tag11

Diamond status on money is not the same as with health (3 years of Gold); it's dependent on size of savings for a given account type (Gold, Plat, Black).
Do you know what the requirement is to get to Diamond on Black or Platinum?

Also, do you know what the requirement is to get the 75% international flight discounts?

Thanks.