Discovery Bank [2018]

Tag11

OK, you've piqued my interest. Which account do you have? Which lounges do you use outside of SA?
Nedbank Private Wealth, its either linked to the Platinum credit card or the Amex, not sure, but both included as part of the package. Off the top of my head, I've used lounges in the following airport/cities: Dubai, Paris, Barcelona, London, New York, Orlando, Mauritius, Singapore, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Larnaca, Zurich and some others... they were all pretty good, at least as good as Bidvest, and some MUCH better. I get a card and so does my wife, we take our daughter in with us and have never been billed extra for the 3rd person.

https://www.prioritypass.com I suspect they give us the Prestige level as I've never been asked to pay or told I'm reaching any limits.

Edit: I wanted to add... I had to ask for this service when we upgraded our accounts with Nedbank several years ago - and I must say, it is the single most valuable feature/benefit I get from them

Sphinx21

Do you know what the requirement is to get to Diamond on Black or Platinum?

Also, do you know what the requirement is to get the 75% international flight discounts?

Thanks.
Dependent on your personal stats. You want to fill in all those bars for the metrics like debt, savings, retirement etc. You need 80 000 points for diamond. Personalised, because full savings points are realised at around 3x salary as I understand it.

Sphinx21

Nedbank Private Wealth, its either linked to the Platinum credit card or the Amex, not sure, but both included as part of the package. Off the top of my head, I've used lounges in the following airport/cities: Dubai, Paris, Barcelona, London, New York, Orlando, Mauritius, Singapore, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Larnaca, Zurich and some others... they were all pretty good, at least as good as Bidvest, and some MUCH better. I get a card and so does my wife, we take our daughter in with us and have never been billed extra for the 3rd person.

https://www.prioritypass.com I suspect they give us the Prestige level as I've never been asked to pay or told I'm reaching any limits.

Edit: I wanted to add... I had to ask for this service when we upgraded our accounts with Nedbank several years ago - and I must say, it is the single most valuable feature/benefit I get from them
Priority Pass and LoungePass have mostly overlap in terms of the lounges covered. If unlimited access, then it's probably tied to your Amex.

Daruk

Honorary Master

I would totally use that. I'm getting tired of 36 hour commutes with no lounge access. Thanks. Must check their private wealth criteria. I know I qualified on FNB bit IIRC Nedbank was a bit higher. That was a few years ago tho. What do you pay in fees?
Afaik on my platinum CC I only get local lounges.

Daruk

Honorary Master

I don't believe this. I've had this card for two years and didn't realise I had priority pass access.

Screenshot_20190814-213136.png
That's the platinum amex card.
I feel like a twit.

Sphinx21

I don't believe this. I've had this card for two years and didn't realise I had priority pass access.

View attachment 699523
That's the platinum amex card.
I feel like a twit.
I looked at this card once and was totally put off when I realised that the points earned here are not equivalent to Amex points internationally. Nothing quite puts me off like a bit of downward differentiated service for South Africans.

Reactions: air

amabacha

Apologies if this has been covered before.

Can someone who has successfully received HealthyFood cashback using the Discovery Bank credit card and new HealthyFood card (that was in the envelope when the CC was delivered by courier) at Pick n Pay confirm the correct sequence at the till?

I've linked the new HealthFood card to my profile on the website and received an SMS saying "Your HealthyFood card number is XXX. Please use it at the till to get cashback at PnP" but this document mentions "swiping the Discovery Card twice - BEFORE the cashier rings up the purchases and again to pay.

Also at what point do I swipe my SmartShopper card?

Also I read on another forum that cashback only applies to purchases on the primary card not the secondary card which sounds very strange to me....

travcaine

Can anyone tel me if putting savings in the normal vitality savings account will complete this goal? IMG_2385.JPG

twr

Can someone who has successfully received HealthyFood cashback using the Discovery Bank credit card and new HealthyFood card (that was in the envelope when the CC was delivered by courier) at Pick n Pay confirm the correct sequence at the till?

I've linked the new HealthFood card to my profile on the website and received an SMS saying "Your HealthyFood card number is XXX. Please use it at the till to get cashback at PnP" but this document mentions "swiping the Discovery Card twice - BEFORE the cashier rings up the purchases and again to pay.

Also I read on another forum that cashback only applies to purchases on the primary card not the secondary card which sounds very strange to me....
I swipe my smart shopper and vitality healthy card before groceries and then pay with my cc, I also make sure the till slip has my healthyfood number on it, from what I understand is if I don't pay with my cc I will still get my normal vitality 25% back and the boosting % must be with your cc

Carsomyr

Can anyone tel me if putting savings in the normal vitality savings account will complete this goal?
Yes, normal Vitality savings account does count towards this goal (I have the same one, different amount). You can also split the savings across multiple accounts and they all add together for the goal.

Carsomyr

Do other people have sane targets for their "Property" section on Vitality Money?

Because I get 0 points currently for owing more than R610k, and would get full points if I owed R530k or less. That's a ridiculously small range for something like secured property debt.

ECHLN

I'm a little new to the Vitality discount side of things. How do I get the discounts to be higher? For example, my Woolworths discount is currently on 0% and Pick n Pay is on 10%.

beefymoocow

Do other people have sane targets for their "Property" section on Vitality Money?

Because I get 0 points currently for owing more than R610k, and would get full points if I owed R530k or less. That's a ridiculously small range for something like secured property debt.
Depends on the value of your property. I owe about 1.3 million on all my bonds but own about 4mil worth of properties. It also depends on your age as well.

twr

Depends if you spend a lot and what card type you'll have, and be prepared no miles untill they bring in their new type , I personally am disappointed

Last edited:

citizensa

If you transfer funds to Discovery Bank savings from another bank, how long it takes them to update savings points? I have transferred fund last week to Discovery but no change to my status or points

twr

If you transfer funds to Discovery Bank savings from another bank, how long it takes them to update savings points? I have transferred fund last week to Discovery but no change to my status or points
I've uploaded the documents required not vitality money status changed then I emailed them on Monday,still waiting...

adielk

Expert Member

Done it twice, linking card, but no sms or acknowledgement.

Logged a call. Will see what happens.